And from the "I've heard this before" rumor mill ...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We're north but we're not the outlier. Which logo looks the most out of place geographically here?
202d71ad1870748dc4fc92bcb8460ac4.png
Kansas because the rest are letters or a stylized logo while they just have a ******* chicken.

Oh, wait a minute, you said geographically, didn't you?

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
The problem with staying at 10 is $$$.. The big 12 just won’t have THT negotiating power it had back in 2010 with TX being strong back then.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
I still would prefer to bring back Mizzou and Nebraska. It's time we start re-balancing our lifetime record against the Fuskers.
---
As for realignment in general, with an assumption that revenue would be guaranteed to improve for every Big 12 school under a new TV deal + new teams added, I don't really understand the common argument against losing our beloved round robin format.

A) Either rename the conference, or get back to 12 teams. This branding discrepancy is wreaking havoc on my mindbrain.

B) How is it a bad thing to avoid someone like OU every other year and position ourselves for an easier non-con win early each season, thus climb to a better bowl? Let's not allow our recent upswing in football quality cloud our judgement - we would beg to not face OU or UT during the Mac or Rhoads days. This round robin "one true champion" mindset does not pay real world dividends for our conference in regards to bowl/playoff selection. It's just an unsubstantiated marketing flex for the Presidents and ADs.

C) Please gods, never go 14 or 16. The SEC and Big 10 schedules are in fact nonsense. Or at least why not just rally a vote for the NCAA approve a 13-game season (a 10th conference game)?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
The problem with staying at 10 is $$$.. The big 12 just won’t have THT negotiating power it had back in 2010 with TX being strong back then.

Everything about the landscape has changed since then...including the financial health of the industry. . I don't think any of us really know what factors will have the most significance this next negotiating time around.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Everything about the landscape has changed since then...including the financial health of the industry. . I don't think any of us really know what factors will have the most significance this next negotiating time around.
It'll be interesting to see how the value of sports goes in the near future. The inability to force themselves into every home in a region through satellite/cable services is going to ding the overall value of sports. However, sports will end up being the last bastion of live programming which could really make its value soar.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
It'll be interesting to see how the value of sports goes in the near future. The inability to force themselves into every home in a region through satellite/cable services is going to ding the overall value of sports. However, sports will end up being the last bastion of live programming which could really make its value soar.

That....and the industry is at risk in not recognizing and appreciating the large portion of the fan-bases that that were already on the edge of tapping out due to inflated ticket prices and exorbitant coaches salaries. Add paying the players....urgh.....watch people drop...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

I actually might guess the big 12 is in better position this time around.

The big 12 was in a poor position last time because what mattered in that round seemed to be cable subscriber markets. It didnt matter how many fans you actually had, what mattered was that networks like the b10Network could charge a per-subscriber fee. Viewership and competitive success didnt seem to matter as much.

With increased cord-cutting, we may revert back to a more traditional model where what matters is how many views you're getting- how many people are watching the games or signing up for streaming services. This benefits the big 12, as a lot of the areas of the big 12 are smaller but very highly engaged markets, and we have enough good teams that can drive viewership.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
So we are now bigoted against schools with religious affiliations? I missed that memo...

Not bigoted against “religious” schools. Bigoted against schools that have a history of repeatedly covering up rapes and murders not to protect the athletes, but to protect the institution itself.

I doubt this applies to TCU, but I would love to see Rapelor gone already.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Border Conference Charter members playing American football (and years of membership) included:

Other members competing in football (and years of membership) included:

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I've heard the ASU president has no desire to leave the Pac-12 because of academics. Stanford, UW, Cal, UCLA, USC are all top 20 or 30 schools I think.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
More... the contract for the Pac12 at the time was unprecedented. But lack of vision 'locked' them in for a longer period of time. When that contract comes up 'streaming' companies will be the primary focus. And, to be honest, ALL of them are on the west coast. So THAT looks good for them.
Actually, I believe the net revenue per team will become much better as both packaging and pay-per-view will come into play. A larger national playoff would also be required and/or requiring more P5 vs P5 matchups to net the national big name advertisers. There's allot to gain from reaching ALL of your constituents as opposed to regional reach. The current model of sport broadcasting is going to change significantly or, more likely, die. Just as I told JP nearly 15 years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I've heard the ASU president has no desire to leave the Pac-12 because of academics. Stanford, UW, Cal, UCLA, USC are all top 20 or 30 schools I think.

Wanting to rub shoulders with your list there is one of the primary reasons Colorado left. It is also the reason why a school like BYU will never end up in that conference.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Isn't BYU a good school?
Yes, they're ranked #77. But their religious requirements put them at odds with the LGBTQ agenda of western universities.

"Homosexual behavior is inappropriate and violates the Honor Code. Homosexual behavior includes not only sexual relations between members of the same sex, but all forms of physical intimacy that give expression to homosexual feelings." BYU