And from the "I've heard this before" rumor mill ...

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I've heard the ASU president has no desire to leave the Pac-12 because of academics. Stanford, UW, Cal, UCLA, USC are all top 20 or 30 schools I think.
I’ve never understood the academics-sports conference angle. How exactly does the academic reputation of Baylor, Texas Tech, UT, etc. affect ISU in the slightest?

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I’ve never understood the academics-sports conference angle. How exactly does the academic reputation of Baylor, Texas Tech, UT, etc. affect ISU in the slightest?
When it comes to research I'm assuming it's a big deal for several reasons. At the end of the day that is what these schools are there for.

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
When it comes to research I'm assuming it's a big deal for several reasons. At the end of the day that is what these schools are there for.
I've dealt in research for over a decade and I've never seen a single thing at ISU or any other university that suggests athletic conference has any impact whatsoever, or is even a thought.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I've dealt in research for over a decade and I've never seen a single thing at ISU or any other university that suggests athletic conference has any impact whatsoever, or is even a thought.
Don’t waste your time, he ate up everything Nebraska pushed out in 2010.

The academic angle is a poor proxy for cultural fit.

• Disagree
Reactions: cyclonedave25

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Let's quit fooling ourselves... We all know what needs to be done here... Jettison WV, and form a new Conference I-35... we pick up Minnesota, Wichita St, and UTSA, and form 2 divisions in the new 12 team conference... maybe add Minnesota-Duluth and Emporia St for a 14 team super conference...
Jettison one of those and add UMKC. We need a kangaroo mascot in this conference.

• Funny
Reactions: WalkingCY

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Geeez. It'd be nice if we stayed on topic. On that note, another comment from inside the Pac12 is the presidents of the AZ schools see the academics of Pac12 as much better than the B12. And, after all, it is the presidents who in the end not only control the conference but also the schools. That said, $$$$ can be a very influential factor as it's widely established a successful AD positively affects the Universities' other resources. This conversation is not over ... at the highest levels.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Can we really have two wildcats in the same conference? I had an experience with two wildcats in college once. Almost sent me to the ER. Had to be on pills for a month. I don’t think this would be a good move.

• Funny
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

boblyon

Apr 11, 2006
This is not new from AZ newspapers. We winter in Tucson and I read this several years ago.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Nothing odd about our geography. Texas Tech is actually farther from their closest opponent than we are
That’s why the OP said northernmost outlier. WVU is the easternmost outlier, while Tech is the westernmost outlier, The point being that if they started cutting schools simply because they were outliers, we’d be on the list.

WVU is a good member. Their fans care—and their biggest scandal involves an occasional secondhand couch.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
What does the Big 12 gain by adding these schools? What does ISU gain by adding these schools?

What I’m getting at is I like the 10 team conference, I don’t want to split revenue with more schools, and if the conference geographically moves southwest we are a natural school to be left out.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: Gorm and Splendid

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
What does the Big 12 gain by adding these schools? What does ISU gain by adding these schools?
Rest assured, money, otherwise it doesn’t happen. Ultimately, that’s a stability and perception boost.

It’s not a slam dunk though. It would possibly be the end of adding a few other schools that would be more beneficial. I also wonder what would happen to the Pac12 with reduced inventory. Would they actually become more stable with less mouths to feed and only losing one market? Or would such a move in combination with California politics be the precipice of major changes/realignment?

Imo, at some point P5 football will be more like the NFL in organization. It’ll be interesting to see how conferences and new TV revenue mechanisms form.

Last edited:

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
ISU
KANSAS
KSU
WVU
TCU
BAYLOR

OKLAHOMA
OSU
TEXAS
TECH
AZ
ASU

Unbalanced to the west, but best way to protect rivalries.
Id be for no divisions - allows more flexibility scheduling and eliminates the possibility of a very strong and weak division (ex. BIG). Top two at the end of the year playing each other in the championship game

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Id be for no divisions - allows more flexibility scheduling and eliminates the possibility of a very strong and weak division (ex. BIG). Top two at the end of the year playing each other in the championship game

Ah- I agree with part of this. I would support divisions for regional scheduling & rivalry purposes only. Championship would feature the two top conference teams regardless of divisional finish. Tiebreakers would be determined by CFP ranking.

CheapClone1202

Has 3 legs
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2019
Just a little bit ironic when we start declaring which teams need to be removed from the conference (other than Baylor). Aren’t we glad these potential re-alignments didn’t happen during the McDermott/Chizik/Rhoads era?

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Can we really have two wildcats in the same conference? I had an experience with two wildcats in college once. Almost sent me to the ER. Had to be on pills for a month. I don’t think this would be a good move.

If the CFL didn't fold when they had the Roughriders and the Rough Riders then nada es impossible