Tracking games played by the true freshmen

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I believe four running backs will play especially as nagging injuries develop. Who does everyone think they should be?

I think its been assumed Brock is the odd man out... but seems like its been Croney.

Its certainly Langs job for the taking right now.
Kene was our best threat pre-injury.
Hall has played 4 already so hes in the hunt.
Question is / is wasting a year of Brock vs Croney an upgrade for your 4th RB?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
This thread is to keep track of the freshmen and the new 4 game redshirt rule.

vs UNI
RB Breece Hall (1)
CB Kym-Mani King (1)

vs Iowa
RB Breece Hall (2)
CB Kym-Mani King (2)
DB D.J. Miller (1)

vs UL Monroe
RB Breece Hall (3)
RB Jirehl Brock (1)
WR Darian Porter (1)
DE Corey Suttle (1)
LB Aric Horne (1)
CB Kym-Mani King (3)
DB D.J. Miller (2)

@ Baylor
RB Jirehl Brock (2)
CB Kym-Mani King (4)
DB D.J. Miller (3)

vs TCU
RB Breece Hall (4)
RB Jirehl Brock (3)
CB Kym-Mani King (5)
DB D.J. Miller (4)

I'm not seeing anything after Baylor. Hmmm
Because I don’t know how to do a screen shot on my phone. :rolleyes:

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
DJ Miller won’t redshirt either, they’ll continue to put him in place of Eisworth here and there.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
When your running backs have been struggling and you are trying to find "the guy" why would you worry about trying to redshirt one of the contenders?
It's not so much that as it is wasting a game for Hall and/or Brock just for them to get a carry or two. If you're going to burn a redshirt then put them on the field more. I think it would be a mistake to not redshirt one of these kids.

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
It's not so much that as it is wasting a game for Hall and/or Brock just for them to get a carry or two. If you're going to burn a redshirt then put them on the field more. I think it would be a mistake to not redshirt one of these kids.
But they would still be able to redshirt if injured like kene. Running back seem to do okay as freshmen but do get banged up more

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
How do you know they’re only going to get “a carry or two”? Do you have a crystal ball? We’ve only played five games,

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I'm a little surprised Easton Dean was talked about so much preseason for practicing with tight ends and hasn't seen the field at all. Campbell must just love guys that can play more than one position if need be so he started training him early.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm a little surprised Easton Dean was talked about so much preseason for practicing with tight ends and hasn't seen the field at all. Campbell must just love guys that can play more than one position if need be so he started training him early.

Not surprised about this at all. Why play Dean when we have 3 studs at TE?

I could see him playing later in the year if we're way ahead of someone, just to get him a little experience.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Not surprised about this at all. Why play Dean when we have 3 studs at TE?

I could see him playing later in the year if we're way ahead of someone, just to get him a little experience.

Sort of my point, why practice with TE's at all if he isn't going to see the field anyway? I must be thinking 1 move ahead and Campbell is thinking 5. It's why I always lose at chess.

• Funny
Reactions: Acylum

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Sort of my point, why practice with TE's at all if he isn't going to see the field anyway? I must be thinking 1 move ahead and Campbell is thinking 5. It's why I always lose at chess.

Easton dean isn't going to see much if any playing time this year due to us having possibly the best 3 tes in the same year.

• Winner
Reactions: clonedude

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Easton dean isn't going to see much if any playing time this year due to us having possibly the best 3 tes in the same year.

The position has some unique skill sets for ISU and they're not Gronk but I don't see the type of athleticism at the position for a lot of other teams especially spread across 3 guys.

• Agree
Reactions: Brandon

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

I guess I just don't see your point? Easton Dean likely was not going to see the field this year no matter what position he was at.

I just think the staff feels like in the future we're going to be completely loaded at QB with Dekkers and Bouman coming in next season, and Dean has the size you'd like at TE, and the TE position will be wide open in a couple years.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I meant so far. Brock played 1 or 2 snaps against Baylor and didn't get a touch. That is a waste.
I know exactly what you meant. And it's only a "waste" if he doesn't play more substantially as the season progresses. If he does, it's irrelevant.

As I recall, Brock Purdy got into one game prior to OSU last year, and didn't throw a single pass. By your definition, that was a "waste" as well.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The "talked about" included coaches comparing him to the current upperclassmen--with the specific mention that he's not 250 bs, like those guys are. I think 220 or 230 right now. That's why he hasn't seen the field this season.

In case of total disaster, I'm pretty sure Easton is still the 4th string quarterback this season. All things considered, I'd rather avoid "total disaster", thank you very much.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

Maybe CMC is just thinking the kid can excel at the TE position, so that is where he put him. There are 3 very good TEs on the team and none are seniors, but two are juniors, and one might draw interest from the NFL by the end of the year. Might just be trying to build depth for the future. If ISU gets way ahead in a game later on, he may still get it. ISU has won the last two games by a nice amounts, but a lot of the scoring was in the 4th quarter, so it wasn't a situation where you clear the bench.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031