Tracking games played by the true freshmen

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Participation report. I kept looking for true freshmen throughout the game and didn't notice any of them either. Other than Hall I imagine the other guys were only in on special teams.
I’d be surprised if Treiber played, especially special teams. Doesn’t seem like the place for an OT.

Either that, or he’s really, really good. Which I wouldn’t object to. Nor would him being really, really good surprise me. :)

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I’d be surprised if Treiber played, especially special teams. Doesn’t seem like the place for an OT.

Either that, or he’s really, really good. Which I wouldn’t object to. Nor would him being really, really good surprise me. :)

I would guess field goal unit.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
That’s the thing. I can’t see burning a redshirt (or using one of four) for an offensive lineman just for the fg unit—when there are oodles of guys who could fill that role.
He won't play in more than four games. I would be surprised if anyone other than Hall redshirted, but we will see some of the freshmen on special teams just like last year. We may even see some kids really impress the coaches as the season goes on and they end up playing more than the four games. Anthony Johnson and Zack Peterson last year is a good example. But there were some kids that saw action and still redshirted - McDonald, Pulvermacher, Vaughn etc. It seemed like the coaches rotated guys on special teams just to get them a little bit of playing time but did not burn their redshirts.

• Winner
Reactions: CloneFan4

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Not as many as any of us probably expected. He did ok while he was in there, but Vance saw more action and dominated.

I think we're going to see the Spears, Rose, and Vance be the starting LBs for the entire year most likely. I just don't think McDonald is ready yet.

Remember the time Heacock just exploded on the sidelines Saturday? That was at McDonald being totally out of position and allowing a huge play for UNI.

He's obviously a freak athlete, but that doesn't matter much if you don't know where to be?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
He won't play in more than four games. I would be surprised if anyone other than Hall redshirted, but we will see some of the freshmen on special teams just like last year. We may even see some kids really impress the coaches as the season goes on and they end up playing more than the four games. Anthony Johnson and Zack Peterson last year is a good example. But there were some kids that saw action and still redshirted - McDonald, Pulvermacher, Vaughn etc. It seemed like the coaches rotated guys on special teams just to get them a little bit of playing time but did not burn their redshirts.
I am aware of all of this. It just seems odd to
Me that the staff would use Treiber on the field goal unit in the very first game of the season.

If I were definitely “only” going to use him in four games all year, that wouldn’t be it. One way or another, I’d save those games for the middle or latter part of the year—and make sure most were reps from scrimmage. Isn’t that what they did with Downing and Ramos last year?

Which would why I’m wondering if Grant is that good, good enough for them to consider playing as a true freshman.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I am aware of all of this. It just seems odd to
Me that the staff would use Treiber on the field goal unit in the very first game of the season.

If I were definitely “only” going to use him in four games all year, that wouldn’t be it. One way or another, I’d save those games for the middle or latter part of the year—and make sure most were reps from scrimmage. Isn’t that what they did with Downing and Ramos last year?

Which would why I’m wondering if Grant is that good, good enough for them to consider playing as a true freshman.
The participation chart is not always accurate. It says that Braxton Lewis played, but I don't think that he actually did. I don't remember seeing Treiber in there at all, but I wasn't really paying attention on special teams all that much.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman