Natural Grass vs Artificial/Field Turf

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I personally love our natural grass. Looked awesome on TV yesterday even though it has been a tough year as far as weather goes and agree with others it may be an advantage as many teams don't play on grass any more. I have had friends in the past (many hawk fans) argue with me that our field was fake because natural grass can't look that good.

On a side note, have we always had the giant tarp to cover it like they showed yesterday or is that a more recent thing? Seems like other than on actual game days that should help with keeping the field stable.

On TV in Spokane it looked pretty ragged. Color was bad, bare spots, large swaths of mud, large chunks torn up outside the hashes...

Real or fake - lets put the best surface in we can.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
On TV in Spokane it looked pretty ragged. Color was bad, bare spots, large swaths of mud, large chunks torn up outside the hashes...

Real or fake - lets put the best surface in we can.

Yeah I don't understand the people saying they thought it looked great, from where I was watching the field looked pretty garbage.

Don't really care if we go artificial turf (I'm not against it though as some are.. the whole 'award winning turf' thing is overrated when so many have switched to artificial,) but if not we are probably overdue for redoing the natural surface.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Yeah I don't understand the people saying they thought it looked great, from where I was watching the field looked pretty garbage.

Don't really care if we go artificial turf (I'm not against it though as some are.. the whole 'award winning turf' thing is overrated when so many have switched to artificial,) but if not we are probably overdue for redoing the natural surface.

I’m a natural turf guy, but yeah, I remember saying on zoom shots watching the game “our poor field” because she was looking beat up.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Pretty sure that is the plan after this season.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to

preacH king

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Overseeding with Ryegrass too as it needs less time to germinate than Bluegrass. Give it a little heat and it’ll look great in 3 weeks

Reactions: isutrevman

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Turf sidebar: As a race car guy what's the fastest you have driven on turf? Not dirt, turf!

Not sure of the speed but was riding with an idiot friend of mine in HS and he drove onto a rural grass airport runway and dragged it. Not sure the top speed but it was whatever a big old late '60's V-8 would do in 3000 feet. When he slammed on the brakes towards the end of the runway he lost it some (or knowing him, did it on purpose) and did a few 360's. Stupid teens but seemed like a good idea at the time. :rolleyes:

Tagging in our CF flyboy @wxman1 so he can be appalled at the runway abuse. ;)

I don''t know if I ever have driven a car fast on grass. But I often drive my 4 wheeler around my property wide open.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
finally got a chance to watch TCU replay. Based on what I saw those guys have their work cut out for them. There were some pretty rough looking spots where some pretty big divots had peeled up. Soil below the divots looked absolutely saturated. I feel bad for them because there is very little they can do given the hand they have been dealt by Mother Nature. Having said that, I thought the slippery conditions worked against TCU more than ISU. One of these days the prevailing pattern in the Fall will flip back to dry and the field will be fine.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I watched the CBS piece last night on their college football show which I never miss. Interestingly, coach Klieman has his practices on natural grass fields that Snyder seldom used. He says it helps the players recover more quickly. Time after time I've heard that from players and coaches that natural grass is the preferred surface. Last night was a nice promo for ISU, the grass story and a trivia question about the winningest program in October.

Reactions: VeloClone