Natural Grass vs Artificial/Field Turf

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I'm bringing a big baggy and a pocket knife to the Kansas game and taking home a piece of the sod to transplant to my back yard. I think this may be the last year for the real grass.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City

I feel bad for the Turf team, they are going to take a beating again after this game it sounds like. Unfortunately, I think the AD is going to have a decision that a lot won't like. But time to get field turf in Jack Trice, not because these guys are able to do a great job, but because the weather just won't allow for having a good playing surface.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

I feel bad for the Turf team, they are going to take a beating again after this game it sounds like. Unfortunately, I think the AD is going to have a decision that a lot won't like. But time to get field turf in Jack Trice, not because these guys are able to do a great job, but because the weather just won't allow for having a good playing surface.

I’d like to see a reworked grass field for a couple years to see how it could handle the weather. If we continue to have this crappy weather and it can’t stand up then yeah go to turf. I think we’ve seen a combination of really bad weather luck and an aging surface that has led to really poor conditions. I’m not going to say we should have grass at the expense of playing conditions but I think that we’ve seen the worst of it the last two years.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I’d like to see a reworked grass field for a couple years to see how it could handle the weather. If we continue to have this crappy weather and it can’t stand up then yeah go to turf. I think we’ve seen a combination of really bad weather luck and an aging surface that has led to really poor conditions. I’m not going to say we should have grass at the expense of playing conditions but I think that we’ve seen the worst of it the last two years.

Unfortunately, I think we are only going to see the fall be this wet or wetter in the future. It might be time to cut your losses. If they can get a hybrid system down, then maybe try that. But I don't think many grass fields are going to stand up to these conditions.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Unfortunately, I think we are only going to see the fall be this wet or wetter in the future. It might be time to cut your losses. If they can get a hybrid system down, then maybe try that. But I don't think many grass fields are going to stand up to these conditions.
I am fearful of that as well but I think we need to try it for a few years.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

game delayed till 1PM?

Also, time for the grass field to go. I loved it for a long time. No longer makes sense. It'll be atrocious the rest of the season

They should also add a farmer's market and dog park. As long as they don't offend anyone though.

Why not also switch to touch football? A dome? 72 and no wind would create some great playing conditions. Fans wouldn't have to worry about being hot or cold either.

Put your IPA and/or latte down for a minute and start a petition to bring in field turf.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

game delayed till 1PM?

Also, time for the grass field to go. I loved it for a long time. No longer makes sense. It'll be atrocious the rest of the season

WE KNOW YOU WANT THE GRASS TO GO. WE GET IT.

And it’ll probably happen. But nothing can be done until after the season.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
There's also growing evidence of a link between the little rubber pellets and cancer.

I believe it, I was down on Nebraska's field a couple of years ago with a bunch of 3rd graders. Just their running around kicked up a bunch of black dust that you could tell was not good to breathe in. Are they made of recycled tires? Can't imagine there is anything bad for you in that. o_O Football was meant to be played on grass.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
It is......Seriously, don't make bonehead statements like this if you don't know. Do a simple google search on the Packer's field and what it has and what it takes to maintain it.
Iowa State will never have that.
Come on, they use everything from state of the art drainage and irrigation, to below ground and above ground heaters, to running grow lights during the week, plus adding synthetic weave into the field to make it a hybrid between natural and turf. They cover the entire surface with a tarp and blow air into it to keep water and snow off it.
The millions of dollars they have to spend on those fields will never be available for field maintenance at ISU.

Whether we go to turf or stay with grass, you can't compare our field to the pros and trying to just makes you sound ignorant.

They also play on it into January.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Some of you no doubt must be boring engineers. Seeing everything in black and white.. Can't deviate....have supreme intelligence.... marries the first girl who pays attention to you, after college. :p:D

Negative, Turfgrass degree. And I don't really care if we go to synthetic turf or not.