Natural Grass vs Artificial/Field Turf

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Kinnick-water-logged.jpg
That's cute. They have little football-shaped green cutouts in their ugly artificial turf.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
People seem to have this weird fascination with turf. It has its own flaws. At other schools I definitely see where it makes sense. At Iowa State where we have arguably the best turf field in the country no it doesn’t make sense. Besides we generally have the advantage on a sloppier field. From my understanding it probably is time to replace the current grass field due to age but it is a really nice field. Maybe we can add some heating when we replace it as that would help the field conditions late.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
People seem to have this weird fascination with turf. It has its own flaws. At other schools I definitely see where it makes sense. At Iowa State where we have arguably the best turf field in the country no it doesn’t make sense. Besides we generally have the advantage on a sloppier field. From my understanding it probably is time to replace the current grass field due to age but it is a really nice field. Maybe we can add some heating when we replace it as that would help the field conditions late.

My understanding is we did do a major renovation to it this year. They were working hard on it during the camps this summer.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Iowa just replaced their field turf, last one lasted 2-3 years. Heavy rains in the spring destroy them with the freezing thawing we have.

You'll recall that Iowa's entire field flooded. Probably contributed to its needing to be replaced. I'll assume that won't happen at Jack Trice. As for freeze/thaw cycles, basically every other northern CFB program has made it work as well as hundreds of other communities, small colleges, etc.

Again, I'm neutral on the switch but from a cost/hassle standpoint it's not hard to be convinced of the advantage.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You'll recall that Iowa's entire field flooded. Probably contributed to its needing to be replaced. I'll assume that won't happen at Jack Trice. As for freeze/thaw cycles, basically every other northern CFB program has made it work as well as hundreds of other communities, small colleges, etc.

Again, I'm neutral on the switch but from a cost/hassle standpoint it's not hard to be convinced of the advantage.

Waldorf college and Forest city HS has the same problem this year as kinnick.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella

Also probably update drainage systems. I would think a lot has improved since we last replaced the field

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They flooded? So the standard here is the ability to withstand a flood?

Yes. Bubbled up and was a mess. They thankfully have a sugar daddy family that helps with some of the issues like this. I don’t think they replaced due to cost and repaired. I can’t say how the repair turned out.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
It wasn't the field that caused the loss. It was three plays:

1) not fair catching the kick off and placing the team on the 5 yard line which resulted in the only Iowa TD

2) Brocks fumble when we were driving in the 2nd quarter

3) The incredible completion Stanley made in the 3rd quarter.

That thing was on a rope. He put it the only place it could possibly go, too.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Save the money that the switch to turf would cost and give it CMC and his staff unless of course he wants artificial turf.

Reactions: ISC

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Iowa just replaced their field turf, last one lasted 2-3 years. Heavy rains in the spring destroy them with the freezing thawing we have.

Iowa had to replace theirs because they effed up the drainage... Kinnick also doesn't drain for ****...it never has.