So... How Will the Game go?

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019
And then did we hit Butler for like a 70 yard TD to go up 7 and then Wadley had the 40 yard TD to tie it? I think that's how I remember it. Could be wrong.

Yes so I am confused by this comment:

Failing to go up 2 scores when you're at a place on the field where you are almost guaranteed to score is a huge momentum swing. I'm not sure why people are arguing with me on this. All these plays are huge reasons ISU lost the game.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I don't know where you guys are getting these numbers. ISU had a first and goal on the 8* except for the penalty that pushed it clear back to a 1st and 14 at the 29. I don't know how a 21 yard penalty can't be construed as a huge penalty for a drive like that. Not only in terms of yardage but also in the hit to momentum since the plays before were:
Pass for 10
Pass for 11
Pass for 12
Rush for 17 - then PF penalty.

Without that penalty UNI is on their heels, already burning a timeout right before the rush and not finding any answers.

*The play by play lists the run to the 14 and 15 yard penalty from there to the 29. This is incorrect. If you watch the video, the play ended at the 8 and the ball was spotted there pending the penalty. The penalty is a spot foul and Knipfel re-entered the play at the 14 before the pile was pushed to the 8 so it resulted in a 21 yard loss in field position.
I said 1st and goal from the 9, but if you believe it would have been 1st and goal from the 8, sure.

Yes, generally a team go backwards when penalized. Game changers! We will have penalties that remove a good play and otherwise a positive gain. This didn’t remove a TD as some are in essence implying. It didn’t push us out of FG range. It didn’t even leave us in 3rd and long. It resulted in 5 more yards to go on first down, albeit from the 29 rather than the 9. In the first quarter. Against UNI. Momentum and UNI on their heels...you’d think we were looking at ways we could have beat OU

statsaholic

May 17, 2006
Sloan, Iowa
I don't know where you guys are getting these numbers. ISU had a first and goal on the 8* except for the penalty that pushed it clear back to a 1st and 14 at the 29. I don't know how a 21 yard penalty can't be construed as a huge penalty for a drive like that. Not only in terms of yardage but also in the hit to momentum since the plays before were:
Pass for 10
Pass for 11
Pass for 12
Rush for 17 - then PF penalty.

Without that penalty UNI is on their heels, already burning a timeout right before the rush and not finding any answers.

*The play by play lists the run to the 14 and 15 yard penalty from there to the 29. This is incorrect. If you watch the video, the play ended at the 8 and the ball was spotted there pending the penalty. The penalty is a spot foul and Knipfel re-entered the play at the 14 before the pile was pushed to the 8 so it resulted in a 21 yard loss in field position.

On the play, the rush is to the spot of the foul, and then 15 yds. assessed from that spot. Since it was the 14 yard line, the rush goes to the 14 and then penalized 15 back to the 29, repeat 1st down. That is how it goes; the pxp was correct.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
People need to stop using the UNI game as a benchmark. If tyou go back and watch the film there were actually a lot of positives to take away from that game that didn't show up on the scoreboard.

They were better this year vs. UNI than in 2017.

2 INTs taken in for TDs and UNI being worse would have helped.

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
Enjoyed reading this thread. Unless Iowa gets in trouble on defense, giving up passing yards in bunches, they won’t blitz much. I don’t think Iowa will be able to run the ball at ISU, either up the middle or on the edge. I am really looking forward to the matchup between Linderbaum at center and Lima. Lima is an absolute beast but Tyler has played very well. I’m sure he will get some help.

Iowa needs to throw the ball to win. They truly are deeper and more talented at the wide receiver position than in years past. Have been successful at catching the ball and drawing penalties so far this year. I think they need to throw the ball on first down at least half the time.

On defense, Purdy worries me. Not so much for his ability to run, but his ability to scramble. I foresee plays in which he buys time and finds an open receiver after 4-5 seconds in the pocket.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
As a 40 year Cyclone Football Fan....you are asking me "How will the game go?" ???????
All my logic and analytic thought and scientific experience tells me there is a good chance we will be up by 5 with one second left and will have an extra point kick at the buzzer blocked and returned for a touchdown to lose by 1......But I am always hoping for different. Always hoping and praying for that sweet and rare moment.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
On the play, the rush is to the spot of the foul, and then 15 yds. assessed from that spot. Since it was the 14 yard line, the rush goes to the 14 and then penalized 15 back to the 29, repeat 1st down. That is how it goes; the pxp was correct.
Great, the point is without the foul it would have first and goal from the 8, not first and 10 from the 14.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
As a 40 year Cyclone Football Fan....you are asking me "How will the game go?" ???????
All my logic and analytic thought and scientific experience tells me there is a good chance we will be up by 5 with one second left and will have an extra point kick at the buzzer blocked and returned for a touchdown to lose by 1......But I am always hoping for different. Always hoping and praying for that sweet and rare moment.
A blocked PAT returned for a score is 2 points, not 6 so we still win.

source.gif

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Iowa will come out throwing the ball and try to get a lead, as we are expecting run and pressing the LOS, that has been their MO in the past.
ISU will attempt to run the ball, playing right into the hands of the Iowa defense.
For ISU to win, we must keep the offense on the field, avoid turnovers and when we get into the red zone, score touchdowns not field goals.
Use the short pass, but do not be afraid to challenge their db's on a long pass or five of them.

Stanley will want to roll out to his right, and they like to come out with a double TE, strong left formation, looking like a run, and then slip the standing TE behind the LOS and then let the one on the LOS block for a second and then try to get into the gap the LB leave and run a pattern to the right. Stop this play, bottle up the run, ISU will be fine.

DemHawkeyesTho

Sep 9, 2019
I don't know what to think at this time. I think you know what you'll get with Iowa. Disciplined, hard hitting and your normal Iowa offense/defense. Iowa has to move the chains early to take the crowd out of the game as much as possible. The defensive line for Iowa has to move quicker and make life hell for the QB.

Iowa State has to better pass protect or QB is in danger early. It should be a good one!