So... How Will the Game go?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Do they have enough healthy bodies to do that, though? I thought I heard they were pretty beat up in the secondary this week.

Their top two reserves are out at CB but their starters are still in. Their first week starter at FS is out but he missed last week and it didn't look like they missed him.

I think the teams will score more than they did last year but not as much as 2 years ago. I think something like 20-17 or 24-20 somewhere around there. Maybe ISU makes just enough plays at the end to squeak out a win.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
It makes you feel good that a clean, well-played game (other than the standard few plays) resulted in OT against UNI? We’re not likely to have fewer mistakes this week. We only had 4 penalties in regulation, only one of which was a true drive killer, Newell’s hold on Purdy TD. That hold only happened after being forced to go for it on 4th down earlier in the drive. Really, the game swung on one play- a blown call by the officials. Hardly reassuring that nearly dominating UNI comes down to the refs judgement call on one play.

My (false) hope is the UNI game was just a needlessly risky game plan and the staff will call a great game on Saturday.

Well, I mean, I didn't feel all warm inside about it, lol.

I feel they followed the plan...and maybe the plan was too risky....and was inches from being a disaster there at the end.

The previous three years show me for big games, we play and are prepped great....thus, gotta win the margins saturday.

ameslurker

Jan 21, 2013
I'd gladly welcome Iowa being aggressive in blitzing. I think all you have to do is look at Oklahoma St. last year. I think this coaching staff knows the ability of A.J. and will be looking to get Purdy out of the pocket quickly when they want to push the ball down the field.

They will be very calculated in their blitzes as they usually are. They'll rely on their front four to stunt and get pressure that way. I anticipate they'll let their DEs flush Purdy but have their DTs settle a little bit to keep him from scrambling up the middle. I don't think they'll outright blitz much.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Yeah, I'm with ya unfortunately. They're probably on their way to double digit wins this year.

I get the impression that our staff & players don't care about this game as much as TOE, who is now obsessed with crushing us. Our best bet would be knocking Stanley out of the game like we did Tate back in '05.

Tate actually did that to himself...

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
My thoughts:
-First game our guys came out jacked/energized...we know how it went...so hopefully they are fired up, but contained

-I've heard CMC said Brock did what was asked (staying in pocket) and I'd imagine this week he'll have to spring free more often given the defense AND play calling

-No matter if we have the ball first or are on D: We need to sustain a drive and get a FG (better a TD) and also somehow make them 3 and out (get defense in and out quick). I could see us going for a "quick dagger" but I am not sure i want that if it means we have to punt.

-As we all know....turnovers/penalties could be the dagger for either team (both for points/not scoring and emotion)

-I think our defense will send a lot of heat to Stanley and make him think quick/scramble? (lol)

-Same for them to us, so Brock is the difference in that
Stanley... Scramble? Maybe some eggs.

• Funny
Reactions: BigCyFan and CapnCy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If you’re bringing up the negatives of a shrunken field, which is more of a compressed field, the ball at the 24 or the ball at the 9?

Hmm, we’re 100% scoring a TD on 1st and goal from the 9, but for the same offense, also feeling getting 5 more yards over 3 plays was a challenge to vast to overcome.
I don't know where you guys are getting these numbers. ISU had a first and goal on the 8* except for the penalty that pushed it clear back to a 1st and 14 at the 29. I don't know how a 21 yard penalty can't be construed as a huge penalty for a drive like that. Not only in terms of yardage but also in the hit to momentum since the plays before were:
Pass for 10
Pass for 11
Pass for 12
Rush for 17 - then PF penalty.

Without that penalty UNI is on their heels, already burning a timeout right before the rush and not finding any answers.

*The play by play lists the run to the 14 and 15 yard penalty from there to the 29. This is incorrect. If you watch the video, the play ended at the 8 and the ball was spotted there pending the penalty. The penalty is a spot foul and Knipfel re-entered the play at the 14 before the pile was pushed to the 8 so it resulted in a 21 yard loss in field position.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The 45 yard TD on a swing pass to Wadley is what cost us the game. Turnover certainly didn't help but the long TD was the big one.
On the ten yard line with a chance to make it a 2 score game and walk away with no points. I think if ISU scores there the game is over.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019
The turnover in 2017 cost them the game.

I dont agree with that.

It allowed Iowa to tie but credit the ISU defense for keeping Iowa out of end zone there. ISU took a 7 point lead after that INT also.

I would even put Butler's drop on 3rd down in OT higher in terms of costing ISU the game than Park's INT.

• Agree

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I dont agree with that.

It allowed Iowa to tie but credit the ISU defense for keeping Iowa out of end zone there. ISU took a 7 point lead after that INT also.

I would even put Butler's drop on 3rd down in OT higher in terms of costing ISU the game than Park's INT.
Failing to go up 2 scores when you're at a place on the field where you are almost guaranteed to score is a huge momentum swing. I'm not sure why people are arguing with me on this. All these plays are huge reasons ISU lost the game.

• Agree

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
On the ten yard line with a chance to make it a 2 score game and walk away with no points. I think if ISU scores there the game is over.
Yeah I agree that if ISU scores then the game is over but we were still up 4 after that happened because we held them to a field goal. I think there were numerous plays towards the end of the game that could've sealed the deal, but we didn't make them and Iowa did.

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019
Failing to go up 2 scores when you're at a place on the field where you are almost guaranteed to score is a huge momentum swing. I'm not sure why people are arguing with me on this. All these plays are huge reasons ISU lost the game.

The turnover in 2017 happened right after iowa cut the lead to 31-28. Park was intercepted by Hesse deep in ISU territory and he took it down to the ISU 5 yard line.

The ISU defense held Iowa out of the end zone from there and Iowa tied it at 31.

Shortly after is when Butler scored on like a 75 yard TD pass to put the Clones up 38-31.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The turnover in 2017 happened right after iowa cut the lead to 31-28. Park was intercepted by Hesse deep in ISU territory and he took it down to the ISU 5 yard line.
And then did we hit Butler for like a 70 yard TD to go up 7 and then Wadley had the 40 yard TD to tie it? I think that's how I remember it. Could be wrong.