So... How Will the Game go?

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Iowa doesn't take a lot of chances and they are incredibly lucky. When they do fumble it almost always bounces right to one of their guys when they play ISU. Hopefully that will even out eventually, but it isn't likely. ISU is certainly due for a turnover in this game.
The reason it always bounces (back) to them, is our defense is too often scattered over the entire field. Need to have more bodies surrounding the ball carrier. I predict Rose will have a fumble recovery for a TD, aka KSU.

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
I'm usually pretty optimistic about ISU games especially under Campbell. For some reason I can't shake a feeling or dread for this game. Not sure why as I didn't feel that bad about how the UNI game went, and I also don't think Iowa set the world on fire in their games either. Last game I felt this way was OU in '17, so I guess there is that...

• Agree
Reactions: The_Architect

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
This is the best Iowa team in 5-10 years. They are strong and experienced all over the field with maybe the best DE in the nation and senior QB who will get drafted. I just don't see ISU winning this game. Sorry fellas.

20-13 Hawks.
Does he play the blind side of the QB? Who's OUR guy?

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
A blocked PAT returned for a score is 2 points, not 6 so we still win.

source.gif

Exactly.....Referees will screw it up and give them 6 points and run off field and Jamie will have to ask for an apology. Probably cite some targeting penalty too on the run back on ISU.

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015
I’m not feeling confident at all. Iowa is a very good team who will force every opponent to score in long 10 + play drives which are hard to do. They possess the ball and reduce possessions making it even more difficult to score. I was greatly disappointed in the play calling vs UNI and am waiting for our offense to be somewhat dynamic for a season.
Isu hasn’t fared well vs Iowa with Campbell, not sure why, but in this huge Gameday setting I’m not feeling confident. 17-6 Iowa. I’ll will be drinking a lot of Busch light!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
This is incredibly inaccurate. 2 years ago we turned Park loose and had himself a day. Last year we had a reshuffled o-line and an immobile QB who didn't have time to throw the ball... The whole "trying to out Iowa Iowa" narrative is just dumb.

If we try to Out Iowa we will lose for at least the 5th straight time....Time to throw Caution to the Wind and let her rip in the passing dept.....

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
There is a huge difference between being able to make a play down field and Butler shedding tacklers for a TD. We definitely have the guys to open it up if Iowa plays man.

Kirkie FairyUntz is not going to go man defense in the secondary...good old kirkie will make you go 10-15 plays to see the endzone and if you cant do that you LOSE......

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I don't trust this line at all and while I think Purdy's feet will help, I could just see Iowa under Parker pinning their ears back and crashing down like Skladany used to do.
That would be a welcomed opportunity imo.

I’m more worried it’ll be similar to UNI in which they’re able to shut us out with a safe, play-forward defense, while also getting pressure without needing a numbers advantage.

We’re going to need the TE and RBs to have great games. I’m assuming we’re going to try to help protect Purdy with those positions. The staff calls it being multiple, but thus far it’s more just limiting. Their blocking was bad last week, and we’re generally not good at using them in the passing game. Watch how Iowa uses their TEs and running backs to be multiple. It’s been the difference the past two years.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

CaptainClutch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 1, 2014
This is the best Iowa team in 5-10 years. They are strong and experienced all over the field with maybe the best DE in the nation and senior QB who will get drafted. I just don't see ISU winning this game. Sorry fellas.

20-13 Hawks.
That "best" DE in the nation has the same amount of tackles as our nose guard through two games compared to one and has one sack against Rutgers and Miami of Ohio. He's not a run stopper, not really worried about him.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Hopefully it's not like last year where the punter basically cost us all the field position and ended up kind of costing us the game. Seems like this game always comes down to the little things.

• Informative
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Good-Jones, but if Newell isn't ready to go, he may shift back to center. If that's the case look for either Foster or Ramos. Pretty sure Soehner or a running back will be assigned to assist with Epenesa for most of the day.

We saw enough of that last season in IC. The last couple of drives were flat out embarrassing.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Architect

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Hopefully it's not like last year where the punter basically cost us all the field position and ended up kind of costing us the game. Seems like this game always comes down to the little things.
It should have cost us the game, but our defense made it fairly minor.

Our ST are suspect though. Imo our version of ball-control/“conservative” does us no favors when facing other ball-control teams. Damn near cost us the UNI game.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
So, are you saying the back 7 will only give up the short stuff? I felt Iowa shut down all the quick/short passes by Rutgers. I do think Brock being on target over the middle of the field and hopefully stretching the field more often will be key. After our last game, I imagine Iowa has extremely focused on limiting Deonte's catches.
Why? we scored 13 points in regulation. Sure Jones had a lot of touches and yards but he had 0 TDs. iowa will be more than happy to have us dump it off short and come up and tackle. That is exactly what UNI wanted us to do and it worked. I would almost bet that would be their defensive game plan.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron