Klatt on Fox on CMC

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'm sorry, but that buyout is a drop in the bucket for any big time school. Campbell is a proven winner. And winning FB programs bring in 10x+ what that buyout is. If Campbell actually wanted to leave, that buyout would be paid by a blue blood easily.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
My point is if more prominent members of the media's bad takes about what they think Campbell will or won't do hasn't affected his ability to recruit, Klatt, a much less prominent member, isn't going to have the impact that is being feared.
Has it not affected recruiting just because we’ve signed classes better than our historical average?

The perception of CMC soon-to-be leaving impacts recruiting. But so does CMC becoming a national brand and a publicly revered coaching star. The net should still be positive unless these guys are selfish like Hoiberg, but would be greater without Klatt and his peers creating the perception CMC is not here for long.

• Useful
Reactions: VeloClone

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Has it not affected recruiting just because we’ve signed classes WAY better than our historical average?

The perception of CMC soon-to-be leaving impacts recruiting. But so does CMC becoming a national brand and a publicly revered coaching star. The net should still be positive unless these guys are selfish like Hoiberg, but would be greater without Klatt and his peers creating the perception CMC is not here for long.

You are giving pundits more credit than they deserve. You missed a key word but got it for you

Except for maybe the top 10 programs, any coach could be leaving, even at 'bama there is talk about Saben going to the NFL again.

I don't think CMC's publicity and being labeled as one of the hottest coaches out there does anything but help recruiting overall. Kids we aren't getting now are in the top 150 and going to Bama, THEOsU, Clemson, Texas, OU, etc regardless of the coach we have. Purdy, Hall, Kolar (TE), Eisworth, Lima, Spears, Rose, McDonald (I am sure I am missing some that should be in this list) can play their position as good as anyone.

Put another way - we are getting good enough talent now with CMC to contend for the Big XII title, go 9-3/10-2 every year. Doesn't mean we will but if we don't, it isn't due to a lack of talent and/or depth.

• Optimistic
Reactions: aauummm

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/cmc-on-espn-radio-now.249794/#post-6769904

Go to this recent interview, he gets asked a question about staying at Iowa State towards the end of the interview.

Crap like this from Klatt has the potential of hurting recruiting.
Thank you. I will listen.

That said I do wonder about guys like Snyder etc. the world we live in is much faster but I have to think he had to overcome that. He recruited a different pool because he had the jucos. But he probably had to overcome it. I would suppose Barry Alvarez also had to deal with that crap. It would be interesting to see how they overcame that kind of stuff.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I'm going to say you're "worst case scenarioing" Klatt's statements. Outside of Colorado (and maybe not even there), which high school kids know who the hell Klatt is and give two rats' asses what he thinks? Not to mention, how adverse is Klatt's statements compared to virtually everyone else in the national media that is already of the opinion that Campbell is coaching with one foot out the door? None of that has negatively affected Campbell's recruiting.

Klatt's comments make me roll my eyes. That's about it.
One could say the same thing about herbstreit until he became main stream.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I'm sorry, but that buyout is a drop in the bucket for any big time school. Campbell is a proven winner. And winning FB programs bring in 10x+ what that buyout is. If Campbell actually wanted to leave, that buyout would be paid by a blue blood easily.
Depends on the blue bloods cash flow. Are they paying out one(or several) fired coaches. Etc.

Being an AD has lots of issues that might mike a hire more complicated.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Nebraska 13th? C'mon now.

I'm not saying Nebby couldn't end up being 13th by the end of the season, but nothing warrants putting them there going into the season IMO.
I know that I am going to be light up about this but as a rabid ISU fan I feel like he has us a bit higher than what I would place us. Not saying we could t be there but it seems like we are still in #proveit mode.

I also get that I am being overly “cautious”. I just don’t wanna be looked at us under achievers. At a certain point I will have to accept that we are talented. Admitting this is new territory for us.

Go right ahead and light me up. I am prepared.

• Funny
Reactions: CyBobby and aauummm

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I know that I am going to be light up about this but as a rabid ISU fan I feel like he has us a bit higher than what I would place us. Not saying we could t be there but it seems like we are still in #proveit mode.

I also get that I am being overly “cautious”. I just don’t wanna be looked at us under achievers. At a certain point I will have to accept that we are talented. Admitting this is new territory for us.

Go right ahead and light me up. I am prepared.

I think AP has us just right. We have plenty of opportunity to stake a claim to a higher position if it is deserved.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
Klatt is a classless douchetard. He can talk as much smack as he wants about ISU, but he went to a school that’s been to one bowl game in the past 12 years. Colorado has won a title, but they’ve been completely irrelevant for the past 15 years.
Consider where Klatt comes from. A few years ago he proposed a revamping of college football. I don't remember all the details, but Iowa State was one of the few he left out of the party.

Things have changed a lot since he proposed that, but even then he had no idea of the support that Iowa State had for football. This thing was just waiting to explode. He had no clue. Maybe he's still bitter about the tornado game.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I think AP has us just right. We have plenty of opportunity to stake a claim to a higher position if it is deserved.
Agree. Klatt has us a bit higher than what I think we have earned thus far. I want to feel like we are there just don’t want to get out over skis. Any perceived under performance will be used against this staff. It is hyper logical that folks don’t want us to perform. I want the squad to do as well or better than expected.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
We don't know what CMC really wants in the long run but so far his focal point has been what he can do at ISU.
“We” who?

The man repeats again and again and again the the coaches he admires are guys like Bill Snyder, and his old coach at Mount Union, who stayed in one place for decades and built something special...and you claim that you “don’t know” what he wants long term?

Any good AD has to always have a short list of possible candidates they would contact first if one of their head coaches decides to leave IMO.
No, they most decidedly do not. What they need on their desktop nowadays is the name of a good search firm—and Google, to find that company’s current contact info.

Reactions: aauummm

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
“We” who?

The man repeats again and again and again the the coaches he admires are guys like Bill Snyder, and his old coach at Mount Union, who stayed in one place for decades and built something special...and you claim that you “don’t know” what he wants long term?

No, they most decidedly do not. What they need on their desktop nowadays is the name of a good search firm—and Google, to find that company’s current contact info.

I don't know...I feel like those search firms are used more as a go-between. Contacting agents, vetting candidates and setting up interviews offsite. Maybe they do bring a few names, but I think it is more the AD having a list and then interested candidates contacting the AD through their agent.

• Agree
Reactions: AgronoCy

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
As far as money, yah he could get more elsewhere. But he has enough job security here that he can look at that salary and realize that it's basically guaranteed for a long, long time at ISU. Most other places looking for coaches are looking for a reason. Those fanbases won't be patient and he's only guaranteed what that first contract is.
I kind of disagree with the bolded line. I think at this point we would match literally any offer CMC asks for. We have to. If he leaves it won't be about the money. ISU has massive football donors who will match any salary he wants.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
This part can't be overstated IMO. Campbell's blueprint is there, and combined with the renewed fan support and increase in $$, it's a great time for ISU football to make hay.

IF Campbell were to ever leave, the only request I would have from him would be to provide his input on who the next guy should be.
If he doesn't take them with him I could see CMC telling ISU to promote Manning (primary) or Heacock (secondary) or even Scheelhaase (desperate for continuity).

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Urban Meyer ripped on Ames in the same show. Felt the same way someone from NYC or LA doesn't think there's any other city in America except Chicago. I've never really thought or cared about Urban Meyer, but his comments make him look disconnected.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Crapeye fans should cleanup the trailer park & redeem as many Hamms cans as possible to start the buyout fund!

Hamms...HAMMS BEER made and bottled/canned in msp?.....Just how old are you anyway?.....A friend of mine drank only Hamms and it led to his drunken stupor
....I would rather choose Busch mysef.......

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I hate to use Iowa as an example for anything, but he only has to look 100 miles east for a good example of that in Ferentz. In this state in general, there tends to be more patience with coaches, and more understanding when there's a down year (which will inevitably happen no matter where a coach is).

You are so right about a "Down Year"...HellsBells ...ISU football had 22 straight years of being Down...Hows that for patience?......donnie duncan...jimmy don criner and jimmy dean walden sure werent the answer to our down year.....