Klatt on Fox on CMC

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Lets not forget what JP said on KXNO the other week.
When Urban Meyer retired, JP called Campbell and said they need to meet and discuss possible rumors of the OSU job opening. Campbell told him there was no point in even meeting because he had no interest in that job.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Lets not forget what JP said on KXNO the other week.
When Urban Meyer retired, JP called Campbell and said they need to meet and discuss possible rumors of the OSU job opening. Campbell told him there was no point in even meeting because he had no interest in that job.
I mean.... that’s straight from the horses mouth....

• Agree
Reactions: SoapyCy

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think the money will be there if that becomes the deciding factor of keeping Campbell. Football is the #1 revenue generator at pretty much ever Power 5 school and judging by our season ticket sales our fans are going to support this program under Campbell. We continue to invest in facilities and the fan support is great and those are 2 things that Power 5 conference schools need to sustain a winning culture.

Different sport but look at Gregg Marshall at Wichita State. He's had all kinds of opportunities to leave for better jobs but sometimes your current job is where you belong and where you can sustain success. Like Campbell said the day he took this job, ISU is a sleeping giant and being in the Big 12 the revenues should be there to pay him competitively.

Reactions: NWICY

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
As far as money, yah he could get more elsewhere. But he has enough job security here that he can look at that salary and realize that it's basically guaranteed for a long, long time at ISU. Most other places looking for coaches are looking for a reason. Those fanbases won't be patient and he's only guaranteed what that first contract is.

Jeffreyisu

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
As far as money, yah he could get more elsewhere. But he has enough job security here that he can look at that salary and realize that it's basically guaranteed for a long, long time at ISU. Most other places looking for coaches are looking for a reason. Those fanbases won't be patient and he's only guaranteed what that first contract is.
I used to have that same line of thinking, then Hoiberg left for the Bulls.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I used to have that same line of thinking, then Hoiberg left for the Bulls.

Hoiberg was here for the NBA. Needed experience to land in the NBA. It was mutually beneficial. He cleaned up McDs mess and we provided a him a stepping stone to what he wanted.

What does Campbell want? Doesn’t seem NFL.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I think the money will be there if that becomes the deciding factor of keeping Campbell. Football is the #1 revenue generator at pretty much ever Power 5 school and judging by our season ticket sales our fans are going to support this program under Campbell. We continue to invest in facilities and the fan support is great and those are 2 things that Power 5 conference schools need to sustain a winning culture.

Wichita has the Koch family as donors..

Outside of Notre Dame Ohio St or Michigan opening. I'm not worried. Coaches would rather follow a failure than take over for a winner like Urban Meyer too
Different sport but look at Gregg Marshall at Wichita State. He's had all kinds of opportunities to leave for better jobs but sometimes your current job is where you belong and where you can sustain success. Like Campbell said the day he took this job, ISU is a sleeping giant and being in the Big 12 the revenues should be there to pay him competitively.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
CMC will be here as long as CMC wants to be here. This isn’t about buyouts and I don’t think it is about money. I think CMC has a vision and as long as he thinks he can accomplish what he wants while at ISU, then he will be our coach. If he thinks he can’t, he will make a change. All we can do is support the program and CMC to the best of our abilities and enjoy the ride.

Damn we just got picked to win the Big 12 by a very respected football analyst. This is crazy fun.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
CMC will be here as long as CMC wants to be here. This isn’t about buyouts and I don’t think it is about money. I think CMC has a vision and as long as he thinks he can accomplish what he wants while at ISU, then he will be our coach. If he thinks he can’t, he will make a change. All we can do is support the program and CMC to the best of our abilities and enjoy the ride.

Damn we just got picked to win the Big 12 by a very respected football analyst. This is crazy fun.
Are you refering to Desmond Howard as a very respected analyst or did someone else pick us to win the conference?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Hoiberg was here for the NBA. Needed experience to land in the NBA. It was mutually beneficial. He cleaned up McDs mess and we provided a him a stepping stone to what he wanted.

What does Campbell want? Doesn’t seem NFL.

Yeah, you get the feeling hearing Campbell talk that he genuinely enjoys teaching and leading college-aged men. Now, it wouldnt be the first time something like that was just convincing coach-speech, but the NFL doesnt sound like the kind of place he'd want to be based on what he's said.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

I hate to use Iowa as an example for anything, but he only has to look 100 miles east for a good example of that in Ferentz. In this state in general, there tends to be more patience with coaches, and more understanding when there's a down year (which will inevitably happen no matter where a coach is).

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Pretty disappointing comment from Klatt, considering that as far as TV analysts go, I respect his opinion. He does talk to ADs by his own account, but I'm guessing the buyout is an easier excuse for an AD than "The guy just didn't want to talk to/was impossible to reach."

I want Campbell and staff to do whatever is best for them, because I respect the hell out of them, so I'm not pinning all of my hopes on him being here forever. I do think Ames is a great fit for a family guy like him. I've also wondered if the shadiness of the highest circles of recruiting and NFL stepping stone culture of many of those players doesn't mesh with a man who left a scholarship at Pitt to play DIII purely because of culture. In a way, humble Ames is a natural filter for the players who just want to "be somebody" rather than "do something."

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The difference is whether you want to build your own program (which can be done at ISU) or maintain someone else's program (blue bloods).

Reminds me a lot of the talk that CJL would bolt for Nebraska or Wisconsin or some "volleyball power" at the first chance because ISU was just ISU. 15 seasons later, she's still here. Built a program.

The other point is that back-to-back 8-win seasons aren't magically going to erase the entire national perspective built up over the last 30+ years (bottom feeder, stepping stone, flash in the pan, etc.). Campbell will need to string together a few more 8-9 win seasons, preferably in a row, to quiet most of that.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: alarson and rbrook

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Klatt is a classless douchetard. He can talk as much smack as he wants about ISU, but he went to a school that’s been to one bowl game in the past 12 years. Colorado has won a title, but they’ve been completely irrelevant for the past 15 years.

• Informative
Reactions: MeanDean

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I think this all stems from the fact that analysts are have as much to learn as our fanbase does about ISU having a place toward the top of the CFB food chain. It's like 'Did I just pick ISU to go 9-3 and play in Big XII Championship?" That is a long way from a couple of year ago when we were just trying to imagine a path to 7-5 and a bowl game.

For the record, I am fine with the uncertainty and discomfort of thinking about this level of season.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I always liked Joel Klatt but he has now fell in line with the NeverCyclones.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think this all stems from the fact that analysts are have as much to learn as our fanbase does about ISU having a place toward the top of the CFB food chain. It's like 'Did I just pick ISU to go 9-3 and play in Big XII Championship?" That is a long way from a couple of year ago when we were just trying to imagine a path to 7-5 and a bowl game.

For the record, I am fine with the uncertainty and discomfort of thinking about this level of season.

I think it goes beyond the 9-3 and Big 12 championship discussions. Schools like ISU traditionally don’t get “lifetime” coaches, and if they do, there are questions as to why a bad coach would be there so long. Traditionally at ISU you find out whether a guy can coach (Majors, Bruce, and to this point Campbell) or can’t (virtually anyone else). The guys that can find themselves at more ideal places, the guys that can’t fall by the wayside. What appears to be happening is Campbell is breaking the mold at ISU. This is a guy that has called ISU a sleeping giant and has said he has no interest in OSU. I don’t know where he learned it (maybe it has something to do with playing and coaching at Mt. Union), but, at least for the time being, Campbell understands that the grass isn’t always greener somewhere else. IIRC Earl Bruce has said he regretted leaving ISU - he never had it as good anywhere else, even at Ohio St.

Here’s one other thing I think most of the media, including Klatt, are missing - Campbell negotiates his own contracts. Anyone think he personally insists on an insanely high buyout as a sign of commitment from his side? Yes, blue bloods would have no issue paying something that high if they wanted him, but even they’d pause for at least a second.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I hate to use Iowa as an example for anything, but he only has to look 100 miles east for a good example of that in Ferentz. In this state in general, there tends to be more patience with coaches, and more understanding when there's a down year (which will inevitably happen no matter where a coach is).

And Kirk’s agent leveraged a contract that he would never ever get in the nfl.

He made 4 million/ year before others were making 3.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron