Klatt on Fox on CMC

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
As usual, JP needs to always have a short list of coaches in his desk drawer that he'd pursue if CMC did decide to leave.

And then he needs to make sure CMC is probably in the top 5 highest paid coaches in the conference, and put in some large incentives IMO, along with money for his assistants, and keep making improvements to facilities, and after that there's not a whole lot he can do.

If JP does all those things and CMC still leaves, then there's just nothing that could have been done and we'll all just have to hope JP makes another great hire to replace him.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Lets not forget what JP said on KXNO the other week.
When Urban Meyer retired, JP called Campbell and said they need to meet and discuss possible rumors of the OSU job opening. Campbell told him there was no point in even meeting because he had no interest in that job.

Campbell has shown that he has more of a builder's mentality, and I think he understands that if he not only makes ISU football a championship caliber program, but can sustain it, his legacy will speak for itself. At a traditional power, he'll either be just another coach who did what he was supposed to and maintained their rightful place, or just another coach who failed.

I do still worry a little about a OSU or ND job; despite what I just laid out, sometimes you just get an offer you can't refuse. But I also believe CMC when he says he wants to be here, and am excited for this season and the future. I don't think he's hit his ceiling at ISU yet, and I think he would agree.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I think this all stems from the fact that analysts are have as much to learn as our fanbase does about ISU having a place toward the top of the CFB food chain. It's like 'Did I just pick ISU to go 9-3 and play in Big XII Championship?" That is a long way from a couple of year ago when we were just trying to imagine a path to 7-5 and a bowl game.

For the record, I am fine with the uncertainty and discomfort of thinking about this level of season.

I used to tell McCarney people we never really had any idea what was possible at Iowa State, when they would tell me we couldn’t do any better.

You’re seeing what’s possible. Will it come to fruition? Who knows? But the vision of Iowa State football being relevant is more realistic now than ever before.

The fans need to understand that Campbell May very well leave soon. But there is an imprint in place to be successful. The model is in place.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The fans need to understand that Campbell May very well leave soon. But there is an imprint in place to be successful. The model is in place.

This part can't be overstated IMO. Campbell's blueprint is there, and combined with the renewed fan support and increase in $$, it's a great time for ISU football to make hay.

IF Campbell were to ever leave, the only request I would have from him would be to provide his input on who the next guy should be.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Are you refering to Desmond Howard as a very respected analyst or did someone else pick us to win the conference?
Well, Desmond Howard is a very respected football analyst. It’s just that “football analyst” isn’t what he’s “very respected” for. :rolleyes:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
As usual, JP needs to always have a short list of coaches in his desk drawer that he'd pursue if CMC did decide to leave.

And then he needs to make sure CMC is probably in the top 5 highest paid coaches in the conference, and put in some large incentives IMO, along with money for his assistants, and keep making improvements to facilities, and after that there's not a whole lot he can do.

If JP does all those things and CMC still leaves, then there's just nothing that could have been done and we'll all just have to hope JP makes another great hire to replace him.

Aclone.... I'm curious to know what you disagree with on this?

• Agree
Reactions: besserheimerphat

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think it goes beyond the 9-3 and Big 12 championship discussions. Schools like ISU traditionally don’t get “lifetime” coaches, and if they do, there are questions as to why a bad coach would be there so long. Traditionally at ISU you find out whether a guy can coach (Majors, Bruce, and to this point Campbell) or can’t (virtually anyone else). The guys that can find themselves at more ideal places, the guys that can’t fall by the wayside. What appears to be happening is Campbell is breaking the mold at ISU. This is a guy that has called ISU a sleeping giant and has said he has no interest in OSU. I don’t know where he learned it (maybe it has something to do with playing and coaching at Mt. Union), but, at least for the time being, Campbell understands that the grass isn’t always greener somewhere else. IIRC Earl Bruce has said he regretted leaving ISU - he never had it as good anywhere else, even at Ohio St.

Here’s one other thing I think most of the media, including Klatt, are missing - Campbell negotiates his own contracts. Anyone think he personally insists on an insanely high buyout as a sign of commitment from his side? Yes, blue bloods would have no issue paying something that high if they wanted him, but even they’d pause for at least a second.
I certainly think he liked the buyout.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Aclone.... I'm curious to know what you disagree with on this?
All of it.

Mainly, unlike how NFL players are often known for wanting to be the “highest paid” at their position, I’m pretty sure that CMC doesn’t keep a salary scorecard.

As long as he and his family are well taken care of—and not grossly underpaid, like Johnny Orr was at Michigan—what he’s looking for is the continued opportunity to be on a competitive footing.

Facilities, assistant salaries, recruiting budgets and other infrastructure items are what are most important to him. Not looking at how many notches he’s got on the salary ladder.

As far as your “short list of coaches”, why? And not just because such a list would necessarily change year to year, sometimes even month to month. That not even considering the fact that CMC has repeatedly and consistently spoken of how he wants to build a legacy here.

At the moment, I don’t have time to elaborate further. Have a good Sunday!

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
All of it.

Mainly, unlike how NFL players are often known for wanting to be the “highest paid” at their position, I’m pretty sure that CMC doesn’t keep a salary scorecard.

As long as he and his family are well taken care of—and not grossly underpaid, like Johnny Orr was at Michigan—what he’s looking for is the continued opportunity to be on a competitive footing.

Facilities, assistant salaries, recruiting budgets and other infrastructure items are what are most important to him. Not looking at how many notches he’s got on the salary ladder.

As far as your “short list of coaches”, why? And not just because such a list would necessarily change year to year, sometimes even month to month. That not even considering the fact that CMC has repeatedly and consistently spoken of how he wants to build a legacy here.

Keeping a list of coaches is just something any AD should be doing. It’s not some super refined list it’s just being aware of what’s out there.

The rest of it I don’t think conflicts with that post. Keep him happy with his priorities. Don’t overpay his salary but keep it competitive. Invest in the program. I think almost everyone agrees on that.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
This part can't be overstated IMO. Campbell's blueprint is there, and combined with the renewed fan support and increase in $$, it's a great time for ISU football to make hay.

IF Campbell were to ever leave, the only request I would have from him would be to provide his input on who the next guy should be.
I have to think it would be either one of the coordinators or Jason Candle. I want the same basic people involved if CMC ever makes a move. After watching the Northwest Missouri State program up close for a while I'm a bigger believer than ever at how important continuity is. I love these guys who have that Mount Union background. Same type of deal as Northwest. These guys know what it takes to build programs.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I used to have that same line of thinking, then Hoiberg left for the Bulls.

Except it was known from pretty much Day 1 that Hoiberg wanted to be in the NBA.

We don't know what CMC really wants in the long run but so far his focal point has been what he can do at ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Keeping a list of coaches is just something any AD should be doing. It’s not some super refined list it’s just being aware of what’s out there.

The rest of it I don’t think conflicts with that post. Keep him happy with his priorities. Don’t overpay his salary but keep it competitive. Invest in the program. I think almost everyone agrees on that.

And it's probably something that's going on no matter the situation.

ADs are the CEO and that means there needs to be a plan for future business.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
All of it.

Any good AD has to always have a short list of possible candidates they would contact first if one of their head coaches decides to leave IMO.

As far as CMC's salary, I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree with you. I doubt he ever checks to see if he's the 2nd highest paid coach in the league, or 4th highest, etc, but I do think he may or may not have an issue if he was one of the lowest paid coaches in the league.

It sounds like we agree on assistants, facilities, etc.

The biggest thing for me is to think of the costs that might be associated with the departure of CMC and the team going back to winning between 3-5 games a year. I think those costs would be huge, but as some have said, there's probably only so much JP can do if CMC decides it's time to go.

We all just need to root for Ohio State and ND to win, as hard as that might be. Rooting for those two teams for me will be almost impossible to do.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/cmc-on-espn-radio-now.249794/#post-6769904

Go to this recent interview, he gets asked a question about staying at Iowa State towards the end of the interview.

Crap like this from Klatt has the potential of hurting recruiting.

I'm going to say you're "worst case scenarioing" Klatt's statements. Outside of Colorado (and maybe not even there), which high school kids know who the hell Klatt is and give two rats' asses what he thinks? Not to mention, how adverse is Klatt's statements compared to virtually everyone else in the national media that is already of the opinion that Campbell is coaching with one foot out the door? None of that has negatively affected Campbell's recruiting.

Klatt's comments make me roll my eyes. That's about it.

• Agree
Reactions: JRE1975

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Not to mention, how adverse is Klatt's statements compared to virtually everyone else in the national media that is already of the opinion that Campbell is coaching with one foot out the door? None of that has negatively affected Campbell's recruiting.

Only way it hasn't affected recruiting? Campbell strongly reassuring recruits he's not going anywhere.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Only way it hasn't affected recruiting? Campbell strongly reassuring recruits he's not going anywhere.

My point is if more prominent members of the media's bad takes about what they think Campbell will or won't do hasn't affected his ability to recruit, Klatt, a much less prominent member, isn't going to have the impact that is being feared.