MBB team's schedule on Italy trip next week

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Did we play a lot of inside out? Seeing Conditt with 4 assists is nice. As of right now Solo is shooting 100% from 3 for over a year now ;). It does make me wonder though how he didn't have any rebounds.
Sounds like Netherlands played a lot of zone so they would be kicking it out when the zone collapsed.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
From the box score looks like a very balanced team game that was played.

To be fair, they were "line changing" between the five starters...

Haliburton
Bolton
Nixon
Jacobson
Young

...down into the next five and occasionally mixing in the odd man before resting Haliburton and blending the units towards the end. We played 11 (no Leech or Johnson).

I think most everybody probably had pretty similar minutes overall.

It is easier to have balanced stats when you have roughly balanced minutes.

Reactions: isutrevman

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Solo with 13 points; Conditt + Jacobson = 3 points. Not what I would have guessed.

Does anyone know if Leech played?

If Bolton is denied eligibility, I wonder if Lewis will get a shot at starting. This game may or may not be an indicator of a step forward for him. He's certainly shown flashes.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Solo with 13 points; Conditt + Jacobson = 3 points. Not what I would have guessed.

Does anyone know if Leech played?

If Bolton is denied eligibility, I wonder if Lewis will get a shot at starting. This game may or may not be an indicator of a step forward for him. He's certainly shown flashes.

Leech was there and dressed but did not play.

The ability to score has never been the worry with Lewis. He just needs to show more consistency and a more well-rounded game, especially on defense.

But you are right -- no Bolton, and the spot is sitting there waiting for him. Even just a sixth-man role would be a large step up for his career at this point, and Nixon's spot would be sitting there for him if he finally wants to be a starter as a senior.

• Agree
Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I like to see Conditt with 4 assists. It means he's successfully finding the open man when passing out of the block, which is exactly what he should be doing.

Take it with a grain of salt, as I’m old and the screen was small and fuzzy, but it looked like he made some nice passes from the high post.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
After the way this team handled IL I was just hoping for a win. Very impressed with a big win, especially when you consider Prohm was platooning guys in and out to see what they could do with no concern about winning the game.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016

The ability to score has never been the worry with Lewis. He just needs to show more consistency and a more well-rounded game, especially on defense.

But you are right -- no Bolton, and the spot is sitting there waiting for him. Even just a sixth-man role would be a large step up for his career at this point, and Nixon's spot would be sitting there for him if he finally wants to be a starter as a senior.
Yeah, I agree on Lewis but his D was much better last year than as a freshman (he looked pretty lost then) so I'm hoping that the trajectory continues to follow that track. Yes, he's more of an offensive player but he'll need to show consistency with his outside shot - he's kind of streaky. I'm kind of a T-Lew believer; I want to believe that it's in there. There was a lot of depth on the wings last year - in many other years, getting some PT wouldn't have been as tough.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
Did we play a lot of inside out? Seeing Conditt with 4 assists is nice. As of right now Solo is shooting 100% from 3 for over a year now ;). It does make me wonder though how he didn't have any rebounds.

Young has never been a volume rebounder. I’m not saying he isn’t valuable but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Conditt and Jacobson both average more.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Seems like Young helps team rebounding by locking up his man as much as anything

Yeah, Young's job is more to subtract from the other team than add something himself. Which is fine and actually great -- you really need that eraser sometimes.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Not that you asked ...

I just watched a large portion of the game on FB (hopefully, for Game 2, the orientation of the broadcast won't shift 3 times throughout, forcing us to change display settings). It was very cool though to get a chance to see these guys in a pre-season game. Since I have nothing to do tonight and it's a slow news day, I'll throw out some observations of the game:

* Newsflash: Haliburton is really good. I love watching him in transition.

* The guys played with intensity on D. This was definitely not a Cap City game. I thought they looked better vs. the drive than they did closing down shooters or owning position close to the basket. It's very early, of course. Jacobson had a few really acrobatic plays on D (I remember a flying rejection and a couple leaping steals / deflections).

* There was a lot of drive-and-kick action. The Clones were cold early on but the shots were good ones.

* ISU looked to push the ball at all times. I think that that pressure eventually got to the Dutch.

* I know that Prentiss Nixon has a reputation as being a good defender but a few times when I iso'd on him, he was kind of lax and gave up 2 3-pointers back-to-back. His close-outs both times could have been more high-energy.

* Bolton looks a lot bigger than Nixon; he's got longer reach and a bigger build. He missed a dunk in transition but looks like he has the build to finish in the Big12.

* Jackson will get some PT, especially if the NCAA denies Bolton's petition. He got lost at times on D but that should improve. He moves well laterally and has good overall speed. Good combo guard skills - he hit his first 2 shots (both 3pts, I think). He definitely can play at P5 speed on offense.

* Zion hit some nice 3's; he seems to look to spot up more than drive, in spite of his size. His shot looked hurried and flat a lot as a freshman but it looked fluid and comfortable in this game. It'd be nice for him to emerge as a consistent outside threat.

* T-Lew is strong and, unlike Zion, seems to look to put the ball on the deck more. He had a number of finishes on drives. His D is way better than it used to be but it was often hard to follow who was whom on the court so I'm not yet ready to say that it's where it needs to be. I still believe he'll be a contributor this year.

* The ball was in Solo's hands a LOT, especially early (not so much in MJ's). He passes the ball well and it looks like he's moving well again. Given Conditt's upside, I was thinking he might move into the lineup if Young didn't look fluid yet after the injury but it appears that he's behind Solo and Jake on the depth chart for now.

* Conditt didn't score much (1 bucket that I saw on a post up) but he made his presence felt. You can see that he's added muscle and is more comfortable with the ball in his hands.

* Grill and Anderson didn't do a lot but these early reps are great for them. Grill looks athletic enough to play at this level, certainly. His couple shots that I saw looked like they had a good chance but didn't fall in. You could see he was working hard on D, trying to get to the right spots. Anderson will need to add some bulk; hopefully, he'll get more comfortable with reps.

No great revelations there but maybe you don't want to watch the recording of the game, which had the production value of ESPN20, the veinte.

Last edited:

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
Seems like Young helps team rebounding by locking up his man as much as anything

Yeah, Young's job is more to subtract from the other team than add something himself. Which is fine and actually great -- you really need that eraser sometimes.

Completely agree - I honestly don’t think it will be far fetched at the end of the season to be debating Young as season MVP. I was simply saying I wouldn’t be expecting him to be racking up double doubles - and that’s OK!

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames

Leech was not in uniform. I’d imagine he won’t be suiting up during the Italy trip. I don’t know what their plan is with him but him getting him on the court right away most likely isn’t it. Appears that fans are going to have to stay patient with it which isn’t easy to do because I want to see him on the court as well. He’s arguably our most talented OFFENSIVE player.

• Informative
Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan