***Official Montgomery and Butler NFL Thread***

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Butler on the field now. Let a 3-yard pass go right though his hands. Came back and caught a poorly-thrown ball for 7 yards.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I was @ Lambeau tonight. Biased of course but I thought Lazard looked great. He's huge, runs good routes, and was targeted multiple times in the 2nd half. He drew a PI for about 40 yards on the same drive where he caught his TD. Very cool to see him get his 1st NFL TD in person, even if it was preseason. I hope it's the first of many.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Drafting 3rd in 10 team 2 keepers snake draft league and RBs go fast. Was thinking I'd hope to get him in the 5th but now I'm leaning 4th and a little voice keeps telling me he'll be gone by then. 3rd round seems way too high but I'll never forgive myself if I don't take him and he has the kind of year we know he's capable of. Somebody please talk some sense into me!

Take him in the 2nd

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Butler on the field now. Let a 3-yard pass go right though his hands. Came back and caught a poorly-thrown ball for 7 yards.

That's basically what we saw from him too. Drops the easy ones, but makes spectacular catches on the hard ones. Hope he gets that figured out.

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
Is Bill Walton announcing the cardinals game?

The broncos seem to always play the Cardinals in preseason. I can not stand their color guy. The next play is always over before he finishes his comment from the play before.

Reactions: GT25Ump

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
More good words on Montgomery from the Tribune's Chicago Bears beatwriter...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...0190809-65kaonc3rvebvhidtj2cxiwgeq-story.html

1. Six touches for rookie running back David Montgomery was all that was needed to feel really good about him — and the role he’s going to play in this offense.

Montgomery already looked the part in training camp, running hard through tackles in some rare live action in Bourbonnais. But a chance to see him go against the Panthers, albeit a brief chance, was enough to confirm what was expected. Montgomery looked really good in the open field. He looked good in the low red zone, running to daylight after a jump-cut at the line of scrimmage on a 7-yard touchdown. He looked natural catching the ball. If you were seeking validation that general manager Ryan Pace made the right move in paying a pretty hefty price to trade up and select Montgomery, this was a heck of a start.

The Bears moved up 14 picks in Round 3 to make sure they got Montgomery back in April. They were sitting at No. 87 overall in Round 3 and when the Patriots’ pick came up at No. 73, the Bears swung into action, sending New England their pick at No. 87, a fifth-round pick (No. 162 overall) and a fourth-round pick in 2020 for No. 73 and a sixth-round pick (No. 205 overall) that turned into Kansas State cornerback Duke Shelley.

Here’s what happened with the picks:

Bears get David Montgomery and Duke Shelley
  • Patriots get Alabama RB Damien Harris (No. 87 overall) and fourth-round pick in 2020. New England bundled the fifth-rounder at No. 162 into one of the other trades it made on the weekend and the Vikings eventually used that pick on USC linebacker Cameron Smith. Bill Belichick and the Patriots made seven trades during the draft. Harris might be a good fit for what New England does on offense but Montgomery will be an excellent fit for the Bears and ensuring they got the guy they wanted and a guy with these skills makes sense when you see him in live action.
“It was a great experience for me,” Montgomery said after the game. “Just being able to actually get out there with the guys and show what we’ve got and what we’ve been preparing for. It was exciting. (This was) not to the brink of where I know I can reach, the potential that I know I have within myself. I don’t think I showed enough. But I showed a little bit.”

No one was expecting a huge display and the Bears should be cautious with Montgomery in the coming weeks just like they will be with their most valuable roster members. Get him a little more work. Expose him to some different plays and looks. And keep him fresh for what counts.

The touchdown was nice but the 23-yard gain on a screen pass was maybe more impressive. He showed patience in allowing the play to set up and then juked Panthers safety Rashaan Gaulden with a stutter-step in the open field that created an extra 6-7 yards. Maybe even more impressive on that play was right guard Ted Larsen, playing in place of Kyle Long, getting out in front of Montgomery and chopping down linebacker Antwione Williams.

“I kind of got lucky there,” Larsen said. “Montgomery plays well. Runs well. He’s smart. He’s got good balance. He’s strong. I haven’t really tried to make a comparison. I just know how well he has been playing. Complete back, which is cool. Good get, right? Third round. You see why they did that. He did a good job.

“In the spring he made a couple nice cuts but you don’t know until we get pads on. We had some padded days (in training camp) where he’s made some nice runs in short yardage. He runs well. He’s patient. All of them do a really good job. We’ve got so many guys that we can use back there. It’s good competition and brings out the best in everybody.”

It’s going to be fascinating to see how coach Matt Nagy handles the distribution of the playing time and the touches in the backfield when the regular season arrives. There’s only one football and Montgomery is going to be mighty good – he’s a clear upgrade over Jordan Howard – and Mike Davis should be able to contribute and everyone has a good sense for what Tarik Cohen brings to the offense.

“We didn’t put him in on certain plays, when he was in, he was in, whatever I called was going to be what he got,’ Nagy said of the rookie. “But, you know, also for me as a play caller you have some plays that you have an idea going in what you want to give him. The opportunities that he had was everything we thought he could do. He runs hard, he runs really, really hard, he runs violent and he’s angry when he runs and he’s tough to bring down with that first defender, and you could see run after the catch. He wanted more. That kid won’t stop but I told him he’s — no more, he’s done.”

Yes, six touches were plenty.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Sounds like he's getting the preseason treatment of a starter who's going to get a ton of carries. Might have to take up being a Bears fan.
No kidding. I was telling my brother that last night. I grew up in a house where he loved the Bears while I cheered for the Vikings. Now, with DM in Chicago, it's going to be hard for me to not support them.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I'm not so sure Butler makes the Cardinals roster, which would be unfortunate. They have a ton of depth at that position. I don't think he'd have an issue landing on his feet, though.

• Disagree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I said it when he declared for the draft, Butler wasn’t ready. Needed on more year in college to fix his drop issues. Too bad, he would have probably been the best receiver in the draft next year and now he making 6th round money.