ULM fan travelling to Iowa St

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
If you like to explore different places when you travel, then I'd suggest staying downtown Des Moines. If you instead want to get as much local flavor as possible, then try to stay in Ames or as close as possible.

It really depends on what you enjoy doing when you travel.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
How was it bad??

Jokes about Old Maine Brew and parking at Kmart could be a bit out of place on a thread started by an out-of-towner who would have zero clue that the locals are joking. Don't get me wrong, I chuckled at both, but again...probably not overly helpful.

Somebody that goes to all the effort to make a road game, then someone from the home team's fan base gives him/her advice that may get their car towed. Not that hard to figure out.

They answered it for me.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Don't let the arguments about Hickory Park being good BBQ or not deter you. They built their rep on smoked meat, not BBQ sauce. From their website: Hickory Park Restaurant Co. currently resides in its third location in Ames. Hickory Park was established in 1970, and since its inception has become an Ames tradition! Hickory Park’s reputation has flourished from an expansive menu filled with a variety of hickory smoked meats served in generous portions. There is certainly something for everyone with over 100 menu selections. Your placemat is filled with old fashioned parlor sundaes, so make sure you stay for the ice cream!

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Post like this are why we have a private "conversation" tool on the site.

Wait, shouldn't I have put that in a private conversation? No, because I want to make a point to all of you.

:chris:

I have nothing to hide, why need a private conservation for this? If I was selling tickets and exchanging personal info, sure, but imo is not needed for something like this. If people can't handle being asked simple questions about their response, then they shouldn't be posting on social media.

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
My Dearest ULM Fan,

I would stay in Des Moines and then make the trip to Ames the day of the game.

Check out downtown Des Moines and the East Village area on Friday night. Enjoy a nice steak at the Big Steer, or check out a place called Chicago Speakeasy if you love salad bars and good food.

In Ames, besides tailgating and the game, check out central campus. Outside of football environment, Ames is just your average small big town. If you want to eat in Ames, check out Great Plains Pizza, Cornbred BBQ, Provisions, Brick City Grill, and there are many other solid places. People will recommend Hickory Park, it has been a staple in Ames for years - great quantity of food for the price, usually packed on game days, not the best bbq but far from the worst.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Can’t forget to stop at Casey’s and get some breakfast or taco pizza.

Even better than a slice of casey's gas station pizza is just ordering a while pizza. Seriously, for those traveling to Iowa for the first time, Caseys makes one of the best pizzas around. Gas station pizza sounds odd, but its legit.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Don't let the arguments about Hickory Park being good BBQ or not deter you. They built their rep on smoked meat, not BBQ sauce. From their website: Hickory Park Restaurant Co. currently resides in its third location in Ames. Hickory Park was established in 1970, and since its inception has become an Ames tradition! Hickory Park’s reputation has flourished from an expansive menu filled with a variety of hickory smoked meats served in generous portions. There is certainly something for everyone with over 100 menu selections. Your placemat is filled with old fashioned parlor sundaes, so make sure you stay for the ice cream!
I was going to make this point. Hickory Park should not be called BBQ. Not that they don't have BBQ -- but to call it a BBQ restaurant is probably misleading for most people. Smoked meats. Good portion sizes/value. Love the cheese balls for an appetizer and lots of desserts.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Yes, Smokey D's is awesome. Easy to get to. If it were any closer to I-80 it would be in the middle of the road.
yep and one of the former owners split off to do his own thing a few years ago and started Que'd out in Waukee, they both still have their individual strengths But I'am a little bigger fan of Que'd but they are out there a ways and can have some odd hours as they really are family owned/run.
yeah for the variety of food and home style cooking they are good but not great.

My Dearest ULM Fan,

I would stay in Des Moines and then make the trip to Ames the day of the game.

Check out downtown Des Moines and the East Village area on Friday night. Enjoy a nice steak at the Big Steer, or check out a place called Chicago Speakeasy if you love salad bars and good food.
if staying in Des Moines the night before I would say check out the Iowa Taproom in the east village. Good food, a good variety of Iowa based brews on tap and drinks, and easy access to Court Avenue after.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Stay in Ames, if the 40 bucks is an issue between ames and DM then maybe stay home and save the money. Check out a couple places to eat, see the campus, just take in the setting of ISU and Ames. It's not like DM is Chicago or Minn/St Paul, it's more fun in the college town you are playing.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I never dreamed my simple question would have generated four pages of responses. LMAO

I’m going to stay in Des Moines and drive up for the game. Flying in Thursday and fly back Sunday. I have a guy that played basketball for Iowa that is from my high school that still lives up there, so trying to meet up. As much as I’d like to bring some good Cajun food with me, I now live in New Hampshire so that’s not going to happen. When I go back there for holidays or other occasions, I stock up. I’m going to guess the few people that we do have travel up will be travelling with the team. I do agree with the statement someone said, that we view you guys better than Florida State, though it will be interesting to see what Briles brings to their offense.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I’ll probably circle back as the game gets closer. And that video of Ames, is hideous enough to be catchy. Lol.

We're just warming up, brother. Bunch of bored Iowans sitting around here.
And really, do the Hickory Park thread. If nothing else, you'll know that you created a monster.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
If you do stay in Ames, Wallabe's north of campus is a great upscale place. ISU coaches occasionally hang out there. Great patio on the roof, great burgers and decent beer choices. But it is north of campus, so if you stay in DM, traffic around gameday can be challenging. Just follow Stange road til you see CY on the left LOL (past Veeneker golf course)

• Disagree
Reactions: 84 grad