ULM fan travelling to Iowa St

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Jeff's Pizza deserves a mention. Truly unique and high quality pizzas. And it is in Campustown.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Stomping Grounds for coffee in Campustown. No need to go to Fourbucks.

• Agree
Reactions: Chitowncy

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Because it’s complete crap?

200w.webp

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’m in Nashua NH. About 15 miles south of Manchester on the Mass border, and 40 miles from Boston.

Don't listen to your hawk friends. We don't allow this type of stuff. If you want to sneak stuff in just put a small bottle of liquor in a coat pocket and you will be find. Don't try to "impress" the ladies at the same time.

EBJwlyDW4AAGqY_

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
I hope you have a great time in Central Iowa. The tailgate scene should be fairly friendly (I hope).

On a game day, depending on where you are in Des Moines, it could take well over an hour to get to the stadium so it depends on your priorities. Ames doesn't have near the hotel capacity so if you can get a good rate on a hotel there, I'd grab it. But if it's already expensive for the hotels in Ames, you can look in Des Moines, pay a bit less and get going earlier to the stadium.

If you want to experience great, friendly tailgating show up early, you can arrive up to 6 hrs before kickoff. The earlier you arrive, the better the travel time from the Ankeny, Des Moines area, which has more options and probably better prices, the home game weekend prices always getted jacked up in Ames. Ankeny is about 10-15 miles closer than DM.

Ames is a beautiful small city with multiple eating options, they've even added a few more high end eateries if that's what you're looking for. Hickory Park is definitely one of the favorites and most talked about. It's a better option if you're here for a couple days or more. If you go on game day it's always packed, but worth the wait!

Bottom line, no matter where you stay, I'm pretty sure you'll have a great time!! Iowans are all about showing people a good time!! Hope you enjoy your trip!!

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
If you can, I would stay in Ames. The atmosphere in Ames on game day is great and if you stay in Des Moines you lose some of that.

No matter where you stay, try to get to the stadium early. The tailgating is great and there are activities going on around the stadium. You will find people are very friendly.

If you need a place to eat in Ames, I would eat at Hickory Park. They seat a large number of people and it is hopping on a game weekend. The food in very consistent and it is very affordable. It is the restaurant most often associated with Ames and Iowa State.

Take a drive through central campus. The roads in and around campus are open to the public on the weekends. It is beautiful. Reiman Gardens just south of the Stadium are also very pretty and can be toured on game day.

If you do stay in Des Moines and the game is in the late afternoon or night game, I would recommend the Des Moines Farmers Market on Saturday morning. It is huge and lots of fun. Vendors have all kinds of prepared food, baked goods, produce, wine, home goods, .... I've attached a photo below. It only shows part of the Market.

upload_2019-8-5_11-30-1.jpeg

Have fun at the game and I hope you enjoy your visit.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
For someone coming from out of state and out of the region, I say stay in Des Moines and get to Ames as early as you can on gameday. It's an easy drive. It will take a little longer than usual with gameday traffic, but not something I would worry about.

Ames is a nice college town, but outside of gamedays and the campus, it can be a little underwhelming. Drive/walk around campus, hit a couple bars on Welch, but mostly get to the lots for tailgating. It's the best thing we offer.

Des Moines is a growing city with a lot of momentum culturally and commercially. It will give you a much better experience than Ames.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
ULM fan who will be travelling to Ames for the game in September. Few questions hoping someone could provide info.

Is it better to stay in Ames or Des Moines? Can you suggest some things to do/see, places to eat, etc.

Looking forward to the game. I know you guys will be favored, but we’ll be ready to battle after playing Florida Stste the week before.

Stay in Des Moines Area. Cheaper than Ames. May take 30-60 minutes to get to Ames though. A lot of great places to eat in Des Moines. Hickory Park in Ames may be packed with a really long wait, but it's really good. Machine Shed in Urbandale is also a good one.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
yeah HP is good but no where near great BBQ, its more of a cool atmosphere though. If you want good BBQ you go to Smoky D's on 2nd ave or Kue'd bbq out in Waukee.

Yes, Smokey D's is awesome. Easy to get to. If it were any closer to I-80 it would be in the middle of the road.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron