ULM fan travelling to Iowa St

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
ULM fan who will be travelling to Ames for the game in September. Few questions hoping someone could provide info.

Is it better to stay in Ames or Des Moines? Can you suggest some things to do/see, places to eat, etc.

Looking forward to the game. I know you guys will be favored, but we’ll be ready to battle after playing Florida Stste the week before.
Honestly I would stay in Ankeny it's closer to Ames than Des Moines is. Ankeny also has a ton of places to eat as well.

NHWarhawk

Jul 29, 2019
I never dreamed my simple question would have generated four pages of responses. LMAO

I’m going to stay in Des Moines and drive up for the game. Flying in Thursday and fly back Sunday. I have a guy that played basketball for Iowa that is from my high school that still lives up there, so trying to meet up. As much as I’d like to bring some good Cajun food with me, I now live in New Hampshire so that’s not going to happen. When I go back there for holidays or other occasions, I stock up. I’m going to guess the few people that we do have travel up will be travelling with the team. I do agree with the statement someone said, that we view you guys better than Florida State, though it will be interesting to see what Briles brings to their offense.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I’ll probably circle back as the game gets closer. And that video of Ames, is hideous enough to be catchy. Lol.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I never dreamed my simple question would have generated four pages of responses. LMAO

I’m going to stay in Des Moines and drive up for the game. Flying in Thursday and fly back Sunday. I have a guy that played basketball for Iowa that is from my high school that still lives up there, so trying to meet up. As much as I’d like to bring some good Cajun food with me, I now live in New Hampshire so that’s not going to happen. When I go back there for holidays or other occasions, I stock up. I’m going to guess the few people that we do have travel up will be travelling with the team. I do agree with the statement someone said, that we view you guys better than Florida State, though it will be interesting to see what Briles brings to their offense.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I’ll probably circle back as the game gets closer. And that video of Ames, is hideous enough to be catchy. Lol.
Well, dayum...just when my mouth was getting all set for those crawdads! :D
For me, it's pralines. I always buy them when we're down there.

I'm afraid you may have dipped your street cred rating a tad with a reference to Iowa basketball players, but oh well. ;)

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK

Welcome to CF!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Hanging out with the team will be fun, but you will miss much of what is so special about Iowa State. Even our coach, back when he was at Toledo and coaching the visiting team, came out on Saturday morning and walked around. Later, he told his wife that he could see himself coaching here. A few years later, our AD made it happen.

We need people from SEC-country to give testimony about our tailgating!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If you are politically minded, enjoy! Being from New Hampshire, you know it is Presidential campaign season. But it is unbelievable how many and how often we have candidates here in
Iowa. Literally, and I mean "literally," you can bump into presidential candidates just getting coffee. It has already happened to me this year. And the candidates love to make appearances at football games. There will be tons here the week before for the Hokeye game.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Personally, I would tell people to find a place to stay in Ames. Des Moines has a lot of nice options, but if I'm going to an away game, I want to experience the college town atmosphere and not a mid-sized Midwestern city. That said, I get it that Ames hotels can be a little pricey. But even if you are staying in DSM, I'd suggest driving to Ames early and walking around the tailgating lots with a couple of six packs. I'm guessing that this will be a night game, so maybe something like Great Plains Pizza or West St. Deli for lunch and then heading to the parking lots.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Personally, I would tell people to find a place to stay in Ames. Des Moines has a lot of nice options, but if I'm going to an away game, I want to experience the college town atmosphere and not a mid-sized Midwestern city. That said, I get it that Ames hotels can be a little pricey. But even if you are staying in DSM, I'd suggest driving to Ames early and walking around the tailgating lots with a couple of six packs. I'm guessing that this will be a night game, so maybe something like Great Plains Pizza or West St. Deli for lunch and then heading to the parking lots.

Good point. I change my advice to staying in Ames. Who cares if they jack the prices? They will still be a bargain compared to Boston or NYC. And the profit goes to local franchise owners. Seriously, it will be the much better experience that you describe.

:campbell: Head Coach Matt Campbell approves this advice!

Reactions: wxman1 and Cy4Lifer

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

I dont know, so many of the hotels are far enough from any of the 'college town atmosphere' that if you don't mind leaving earlier i'd say you're not losing anything by being in des moines. Its not like you're staying in a hotel on Welch (which i'm surprised hasn't happened yet).

NHWarhawk

Jul 29, 2019
They are the same fan base. UNI fans cheer for UNI only when they are playing us. Rest of the year they are
Acie earl?

Morgan. He didn’t play that much at Iowa, but his son started for UNI and playing overseas now, and he has a daughter playing basketball for them now.

I’m hoping it’s a night game and I do plan on getting there early to check the scene out. I’ve been to all SEC venues except Florida, Vandy, and Miss State so I should be able to compare.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

Where in New Hampshire? We used to go up near Littleton for summer vacation for years.