Would You Welcome Missouri and Nebraska Back to the Big 12?

Would You Vote Mizzou or Nebby Back In?

• Total voters

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
https://blog.prepscholar.com/act-scores-by-state-averages-highs-and-lows

The difference being Missouri actually scores lower than Iowa on ACT testing. The same can't be said for Iowa vs. Minnesota because Minnesota scores lower than Iowa on ACT testing as well.

But Minnesotans probably aren't bright enough to realize
Only about 2/3 of high school students in Iowa take the ACT while 100% of Minnesota high schoolers do. Since generally it is the brightest students taking it when there is not full participation this isn't a good measure. But if adjusted for participation:

2016:
Minnesota's raw score/adjusted score: 22.9 / 23.04
Iowa's raw score / adjusted score: 22.0 / 21.49
*Note that in 2016 Minnesota's raw score was higher than Iowa's as well.

See the link. Note that the first table is SAT, the second ACT.

https://blog.prepscholar.com/average-sat-and-act-scores-by-stated-adjusted-for-participation-rate

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CycoCyclone

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Something about having a geographical area known as Big 12 country appeals to me,

Nothing in this thread is going to happen, so if you're going to dream then dream big!

This is actually pretty simple;

The Big 8 sans CU
The SWC schools including; UT, TTU, aTm, AK & Rice*

* I've included Rice as the secular private school a la; Stanford (Pac), Northwestern (B1G), Vanderbilt (SEC), or Miami (ACC). You could replace them with Houston...

And I wouldn't say the AZ schools to the big 12 is impossible. Improbable, yes...but the Pac must have some level of anxiety about their football league if they're floating 9AM kickoffs which we can all agree is nonsense.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I don't understand people's desire to add CSU to the Big 12. I don't want to promote any more schools to the P5. I think it hurts the standing of the Big 12.

CSU may be a great school, and a great place to visit. Let's play em in the non-con, but don't give anyone else a seat at the big kids table. ISU has been in question for their seat for too long to give one to anyone else.
Agree on CSU...they just don't bring the heat the heat or seats to the mix. Giving them Big 12 $'s would be like giving Stanley a Jumbo bag of M&M's.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Id take colorado only
I think CU returning is actually the least plausible move (of all these implausible moves) even though the Big 12 could make a better $$$ pitch. From what I've heard CU's alumni base is very, very California heavy. And for years and years they've had more affinity for CA than any Big 8 or SWC school / state. Imo, CU "belongs" in it's new conference more than any other schools that moved.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
You all are talking about these schools like they're some kind of self contained entities that disrespected the Big 12. In actuality it was a few people in leadership positions at each school that made the decision to leave, not the "school" itself or the fanbase.

To hold a grudge against an entire school for the decision of a few people seems really dumb to me

While you're correct about "a few people in leadership positions at each school that made the decision to leave," in each case it was supported by their fans and media. Who chanted, "S-E-C," at their final MBB Big 12 championship--the few in charge or their fans?

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Those two programs did more to destabilize the Big 12 than anyone else, period. I’m happy to watch them both achieve mediocrity in their new conferences. A&M is like hating someone who is very obviously mentally unwell: you keep your distance but it’s hard to hold them completely accountable. I have no ill will towards Colorado, they had an opportunity to jump from what seemed at the time to be a sinking ship.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Why do some people want Colorado back?

They are like the 5th entertainment option in a Pro sports city (NFL, NBA, NHL, Outdoor Rec in general, and Weed are more interesting). Market size means less and the next TV contracts will be about streaming. 20+ hours of driving, mostly across Nebraska is awful just to watch football.

About the only reason I can think of is Colorado being a great state to visit. But football season isn't good for skiing so I'm out

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY and cyhiphopp

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think CU returning is actually the least plausible move (of all these implausible moves) even though the Big 12 could make a better $$$ pitch. From what I've heard CU's alumni base is very, very California heavy. And for years and years they've had more affinity for CA than any Big 8 or SWC school / state. Imo, CU "belongs" in it's new conference more than any other schools that moved.

None of the schools that left fit into their current conferences. Nebraska and Colorado are both outposts and Mizzou has no identity in the SEC.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Why do some people want Colorado back?

They are like the 5th entertainment option in a Pro sports city (NFL, NBA, NHL, Outdoor Rec in general, and Weed are more interesting). Market size means less and the next TV contracts will be about streaming. 20+ hours of driving, mostly across Nebraska is awful just to watch football.

About the only reason I can think of is Colorado being a great state to visit. But football season isn't good for skiing so I'm out

I'd go out there for a game because we have family there, but that's more of an argument for scheduling a Home and Home with them rather than inviting them back to the conference. They made their bed.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
While you're correct about "a few people in leadership positions at each school that made the decision to leave," in each case it was supported by their fans and media. Who chanted, "S-E-C," at their final MBB Big 12 championship--the few in charge or their fans?

Mizzou fans 100% supported the move to the SEC. They were too blind to realize what everyone else already knew...

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
None of the schools that left fit into their current conferences. Nebraska and Colorado are both outposts and Mizzou has no identity in the SEC.
CU fits as an outpost of the Pac because of it's connection to so many CA alums. It was an outpost in the Big 8 too.

I've never understood the B1G addtion of NU. It truly is an outpost geographically and academically. Missouri would have made much more sense for the B1G geographically, academically, and based on population.

MU's attitude has always been all hat, no cattle. They'll settle in as a perennial also-ran like Arkansas has done and collect SEC checks whilst their dipsh#t fans chant SEC-SEC like stupid rednecks they are.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
TexasA&M seemed to find its SEC identity quickly to me. CU seems to me to fit the PAC as well as the Big12. I thought Nebby in any conference without the old Big8 teams would be weird, but someone gave me the line that they fit right in with the B1G because neither has been relevant since the 90s. Now I see them as just another overrated has been team.

Teams that do not fit in their new conference:
WVU - Complete outlier to the Big 12 footprint.
Missouri - I'll never adjust to think of them as SEC.
Rutgers/Maryland - Both look like terrible adds in hindsight... and foresight to everyone but the B1G.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Right now.... no way. Currently we don't need to add anyone.

If it ever came to the point where we needed to add teams, then sure. Or if we could get rid of WV and Baylor and add them... then yes also.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Mizzou fans 100% supported the move to the SEC. They were too blind to realize what everyone else already knew...
My brother had a buddy who was a Mizzou grad so his buddy and extended family used to come to our tailgate every other year and my brother used to go down to his tailgate every other year. When everyone knew they were leaving every Mizzou fan at the tailgate was against the move. I know there was a vocal group that was all for it, but there were a lot of Misery fans who were against the move as well.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Nebraska can sit and spin. It's amazing how hard they played the victim card while at the same time helping to hold back the entire Big 12.

The OWH ran a column last week about how the B1G "needs" Nebraska to win its division, for the good of the entire league. F that S.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
That's it. Honestly, the Pac 12 is really dying. Could be perfect time to poach them in 2024.

If we are really hypothesizing, let's do a one-for-one trade with the SEC: West Virginia for Arkansas - no hard feelings, just geography* - and then go snag USC, UCLA, Colorado, and whichever Arizona school the Texas boosters like better (I'm not picky) to get to 14.

You can swap Arkansas for Mizzou in this hypothetical if you want but I don't really want them back.

*I'm well aware that Morgantown is nowhere near the southeast, but culturally? The 'Eers in the SEC fit like Cinderella's glass slipper.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
I say that to pretty much everyone I meet from Southern Iowa. They don't find it as funny as I do, but it doesn't make it any less true.

Similarly, the same can be said for Southern Missouri, it's basically Arkansas.

Man, you couldn't be more spot on about Southern Missouri coming from someone who lives in NW Arkansas. Having said that, NW Arkansas is a whole different animal from the rest of Arkansas.

What's been said for Southern Iowa and Southern Missouri would also hold true for Southern Arkansas.

• Friendly
Reactions: cyhiphopp

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
The southern two tiers of Minnesota includes Rochester. I don't think they're raising their IQs by kicking out a bunch of doctors and computer engineers, especially with all the Jackpine Savages.

Outliers are allowed. Just like how Blackhawk county is in NE Iowa.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron