INSIDER: What I know about Rasir Bolton waiver timeline

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It feels like the timeline has changed 3 or 4 times.

Yeah. But the nice thing is that there's no real urgency right now other than us fans wanting to know what's going on. As long as he can play with the team on the overseas trip and the decision is made before fall practice starts up then it's no big deal. We'll know when we know.

bherren

Dec 17, 2017
The transfer rules apply to walk ons as well.

At least they do in football as Iowa has 2 WR's that are transfers that have to sit out this season.
"Additionally, walk-on student-athletes on teams that provide athletics aid and nonrecruited walk-ons can transfer and play immediately without a waiver. Those rules are effective for students who transfer to new schools this fall." per http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-adjusts-transfer-rules

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019
"Additionally, walk-on student-athletes on teams that provide athletics aid and nonrecruited walk-ons can transfer and play immediately without a waiver. Those rules are effective for students who transfer to new schools this fall." per http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-adjusts-transfer-rules

Interesting, thanks for that.

So if an athlete enrolls in summer session it looks like they would still need to sit but if they wait until the fall they can play without a waiver as long as they are a walk on.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Interesting, Prohm was on the record at the start of July he'd thought he'd have an answer by Aug 1st. I wonder if the NCAA had some followup questions and the Compliance Dept had to provide further clarification/evidence. Doesn't sound like CSP is too worried regardless.
What is there to worry about? Worrying about what a capricious entity like the NCAA will do is a recipe for way too much life shortening stress. Either he gets the waiver and Bolton plays three starting this year or he is denied and he plays three starting next year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
There's a period in there. I think it's the best line up we have had since the year George hurt his foot. Probably better than that one if Tyrese and George have big jumps.

upload_2019-7-22_18-19-1.png

No offense to the team built around the legend of Georges' broken foot, but we have had a lot of very solid basketball teams over the next five seasons, as we can see above. Heck, that team was only #25 in those computer rankings. 4/5 beat it...

If the team next year is in that league, when it is currently projected to be #57 in the country with a 6.9% chance of making the NCAA tournament next year...

http://www.barttorvik.com/teamcast.php?&team=Iowa+St.&year=2020

...then Prohm deserves some kind of medal because, right now, we are projected more of a #3 seed in the NIT than a #3 seed in the actual NCAA tournament next spring.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
View attachment 65263

No offense to the team built around the legend of Georges' broken foot, but we have had a lot of very solid basketball teams over the next five seasons, as we can see above. Heck, that team was only #25 in those computer rankings. 4/5 beat it...

If the team next year is in that league, when it is currently projected to be #57 in the country with a 6.9% chance of making the NCAA tournament next year...

...then Prohm deserves some kind of medal because, right now, we are projected more of a #3 seed in the NIT than a #3 seed in the actual NCAA tournament next spring.
I know my projection is all off potential but that line up is physical, long, athletic, and talented. I'll take my licks if I'm off base, but I don't think I am.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I know my projection is all off potential but that line up is physical, long, athletic, and talented. I'll take my licks if I'm off base, but I don't think I am.

I agree with you that there is lots of potential there.

Then again, this team...

Weiler-Babb
Jackson
Wigginton
Lard
Young

...could be pretty good at times, too. They beat some ranked teams and took home the hardware in our preseason tournament in Conway, South Carolina.

Their issue was consistency and just not being very good on defense.

It would not surprise me if consistency and defense would be the problems for the team coming up next year, assuming they are going to have at least a few.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Jacobson, Haliburton and Nixon are locked in for starting spots. Bolton would be too if he is eligible

I agree on Jacobson and Halliburton, and I think Nixon would be favored to start right now, but I don't think he's a sure thing by any means.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
No way Jacobsen doesn't start imo, he is the most offensively skilled of the three bigs right now, especially in terms of consistency

That -- and we know Prohm favors seniors.

Jacobson will be in his third year in the program.

Solomon is now the old man going into his fourth year, but Jacobson is going to be tied with Terrence Lewis for the second-longest tenure (and with way more PT).

I agree with the others above that Haliburton, Nixon, Jacobson, and an eligible Bolton sound like locks. That last spot or two could go in a few directions, though.

• Dislike
Reactions: sambo9907

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I agree with you that there is lots of potential there.

Then again, this team...

Weiler-Babb
Jackson
Wigginton
Lard
Young

...could be pretty good at times, too. They beat some ranked teams and took home the hardware in our preseason tournament in Conway, South Carolina.

Their issue was consistency and just not being very good on defense.

It would not surprise me if consistency and defense would be the problems for the team coming up next year, assuming they are going to have at least a few.
With Nixon and Young I think defense will be great. TH defense is good and we know Conditt can guard the rim. Bolton just needs to be serviceable and that team has great D.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
With Nixon and Young I think defense will be great. TH defense is good and we know Conditt can guard the rim. Bolton just needs to be serviceable and that team has great D.

Bolton strikes me as an emotional guy who is out there to get buckets -- nothing wrong with that, the team needs a wing scorer next year to hit its potential.

Bolton's stats last year...

OBPM = +0.5
DBPM = -0.2
ORTG = 96.2
Usage = 24.1%
2% = 40.4%
3% = 36.1%
FT% = 87.6%

Compare that to Haliburton...

OBPM = +3.2
DBPM = -3.1
ORTG = 136.8
Usage = 10.1%
2% = 68.5%
3% = 43.4%
FT% = 69.2%

WTF is that FT percentage, Tyrese? I guess he was only 18/26.

Somebody is a chucker, but at least we know Bolton can shoot (see the nice FT%) when he is probably not jacking up ill-advised field goals, as his percentages indicate. I think Bolton is going to be hidden on the opponent's weakness scoring guard, however, with Nixon probably taking the smaller of the two remaining and Haliburton on their "best" guy.

I think our problem on defense is the "hybrid" guy, though -- think the super-athlete wings and stretch big men that are all over the Big 12. Last year, we had a lot of guys with some mixture of the length, bulk, and craftiness to guard somebody like a Culver or Wade (or at least slow them down). We had enough guys we could just switch on the outside, too. Watching Solomon and Lard try to guard those guys away from the basket was painful, and teams ran us off the court when they went 4/1 against us or just hit us with PnR over and over again.

Do we have a defender who can handle guys like that next year?

• Agree
Reactions: Baseline23

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Bolton strikes me as an emotional guy who is out there to get buckets -- nothing wrong with that, the team needs a wing scorer next year to hit its potential.

Bolton's stats last year...

OBPM = +0.5
DBPM = -0.2
ORTG = 96.2
Usage = 24.1%
2% = 40.4%
3% = 36.1%
FT% = 87.6%

Compare that to Haliburton...

OBPM = +3.2
DBPM = -3.1
ORTG = 136.8
Usage = 10.1%
2% = 68.5%
3% = 43.4%
FT% = 69.2%

WTF is that FT percentage, Tyrese? I guess he was only 18/26.

Somebody is a chucker, but at least we know Bolton can shoot (see the nice FT%) when he is probably not jacking up ill-advised field goals, as his percentages indicate. I think Bolton is going to be hidden on the opponent's weakness scoring guard, however, with Nixon probably taking the smaller of the two remaining and Haliburton on their "best" guy.

I think our problem on defense is the "hybrid" guy, though -- think the super-athlete wings and stretch big men that are all over the Big 12. Last year, we had a lot of guys with some mixture of the length, bulk, and craftiness to guard somebody like a Culver or Wade (or at least slow them down). We had enough guys we could just switch on the outside, too. Watching Solomon and Lard try to guard those guys away from the basket was painful, and teams ran us off the court when they went 4/1 against us or just hit us with PnR over and over again.

Do we have a defender who can handle guys like that next year?

Prohm has said time and time again Nixon will be on the other teams best perimeter scorer.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
View attachment 65263

http://www.barttorvik.com/teamcast.php?&team=Iowa+St.&year=2020

Computer formulas don't always get it right.

Unless they say we're going to be good. Then they're always right.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron