Do You Remember...Old Severe Weather Announcement

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
In Central Iowa, we'll be in a Tornado Warning if they have not actually spotted a tornado.
Radar indicated rotation that might be obscured by rain fall, I would say that's worth a warning

I think that one in Ryan still has the distinction of being one of the worse in the country for the month of August. The 70's were not kind to Iowa in the tornado category. Earlier in June of the same year one ripped through Ankeny killing two people and causing a ton of damage. Same storm blew the neighbors barn into our field leaving a path of mangled boards about a half mile long with the roof upside down.....intact....about a mile away. Put boards 4 feet in the ground leaving only a foot exposed. Had to tie a chain and pull out with a tractor. Left quite the impression on this young mind.
had storm spotter training earlier this spring, The guy out of NWS La Crosse that was teaching the class made the comment that historically we are overdue for another strong Tornado in NE IA. Also found out I was 1 of 2 in the around 100 people there that has ever seen softball sized hail.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Radar indicated rotation that might be obscured by rain fall, I would say that's worth a warning

had storm spotter training earlier this spring, The guy out of NWS La Crosse that was teaching the class made the comment that historically we are overdue for another strong Tornado in NE IA. Also found out I was 1 of 2 in the around 100 people there that has ever seen softball sized hail.
WOW.........softball?! Largest I have seen is about golf ball. Parkersburg isn't considered NE Iowa? Would have been interesting to ask him if he is old enough about the Barneveld tornado in 84'.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
All I know, is that when I was a pup, a Tornado Warning meant a tornado had been spotted, and a Tornado Watch mean conditions were right for a tornado to form. Watch meant, "watch out" and warning meant "take cover."

Nowadays, we get Tornado Warnings if it's kinda stormy and/or windy in a neighboring county. And we're probably in a Tornado Watch now, given how it's sunny and warm. :rolleyes:

I don't like this Weather Warning Inflation. :mad:

/Old Man Yelling at Sky

Waiting until there is a confirmed tornado on the ground is asinine, literally would be putting lives at risk.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
WOW.........softball?! Largest I have seen is about golf ball. Parkersburg isn't considered NE Iowa? Would have been interesting to ask him if he is old enough about the Barneveld tornado in 84'.
yeah it was when I was younger and we were driving through central Illinois at the time. Every single body panel on the van had to be replaced from it, but some how none of the windows broke.
Yes Parkersberg is included in NE Iowa, but he was talking about anything F3 or above in rating.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think that one in Ryan still has the distinction of being one of the worse in the country for the month of August. The 70's were not kind to Iowa in the tornado category. Earlier in June of the same year one ripped through Ankeny killing two people and causing a ton of damage. Same storm blew the neighbors barn into our field leaving a path of mangled boards about a half mile long with the roof upside down.....intact....about a mile away. Put boards 4 feet in the ground leaving only a foot exposed. Had to tie a chain and pull out with a tractor. Left quite the impression on this young mind.
May 15, 1969 was no picnic either. On that day there were 2 F1s, 1 F2 and 2 F5s in Iowa. Four of of the five - including both F5s were in NE Iowa. Charles City, Maynard and Oelwein suffered direct hits by the F5s. 18 people were killed and over 600 people injured.

https://www.weather.gov/arx/may151968event

nwiafan

Dec 22, 2008
Hawarden
May 15, 1969 was no picnic either. On that day there were 2 F1s, 1 F2 and 2 F5s in Iowa. Four of of the five - including both F5s were in NE Iowa. Charles City, Maynard and Oelwein suffered direct hits by the F5s. 18 people were killed and over 600 people injured.

https://www.weather.gov/arx/may151968event
"Ironically all the churches were destroyed, but the bars were left standing"...wow

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Waiting until there is a confirmed tornado on the ground is asinine, literally would be putting lives at risk.

I'm okay with radar confirmed, even. I'm not okay with sounding the sirens during bad thunderstorms.

It's a Boy-Who-Cried-Wolf Syndrome, for me at least. It'd be interesting to see how many Tornado Warnings there are in 2018, compared to 1988. And contrast that to number of spotted (or indicated) tornadoes.

Maybe I just pay more attention now or maybe it's global warming. It just seems like I hear sirens way more often than I used to.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
"Ironically all the churches were destroyed, but the bars were left standing"...wow
In the Ryan tornado I alluded to earlier the church was largely destroyed. The sanctuary was all gone except for the last little bit with the altar and the cross still upon it.
Ryan_Tornado_BW_Pic_2.jpg

Altar is in the little bit standing behind the tree.

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
I’m old enough to remember the Morse code thing that Conrad Johnson came up with to break into programming with. Followed by “This is Conrad Johnson of WMT.....”. He was always strangely calm, but when you heard the beep-beep-beep-beep........beep-beep-beep you knew **** was about to get real.
Those were the days

Tony Gunk

Jul 12, 2017
NE Iowa

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I was wondering when someone would mention Local 58. God, that YouTube channel is freaky. I've never been a big fan of those station interruption tones. I know they're purposely designed to grab your attention, but gah...

Yeah, the first one i saw was 'contingency', was like 'what in the actual ****'. Now i keep waiting to see when another will come out, since there seem to be some ties between the videos

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron