BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The local school will let you teach stuff as long as you “promise” to go get that area as long as you have a teaching license. I quoted promise because they did this three times that I know and the teacher found a different area after a couple years to stick around. Amount of those classes taken by the promising teachers.........0. Irritated my wife.

• Agree
Reactions: Gordyo5

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
Teacher checking in over lunch --

Licensing is a pain and I think that some of the licenses could be consolidated. But ultimately, they are there for a reason. The biggest reason being that you have received the credits and requirements to effectively teach in your particular placement. It is my belief that elementary licensing could use some consolidation. I also think that some of the more specific licenses could be done away with or consolidated with other licenses as there is a TON of common credit requirements for several licenses.

I really think that we should consider a Master/Apprentice approach to teacher education. Ask any teacher when they learned the most about being a teacher, and they will tell you it was in their first year of teaching. There is very little that I learned in my college classes that I use on a regular basis. I would be interested in seeing a prospective teacher taking a year of classes on their specific subject they plan to teach, a year of classes on education practices and laws, and then two years of "student teaching". But I would rather their student teaching be treated as an apprenticeship.

The fact that colleges charge full tuition while you are student teaching is an absolute joke and the epitome of highway robbery. I paid nearly $10k for less than an hour of face time with a professor/week while my mentor teacher was lucky if he got thrown a check for a couple hundred bucks.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
My father-in-law did something like this in Florida.

He went from an engineer (electrical engineering from Madison) to a high school calculus teacher with what amounted to a single summer course and boom, in the classroom.

(I could probably do that here) just don't tell anyone as that seems to set them off.

I just don't have any desire to teach in any public school format.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Who says my wife doesn't want to transfer to the DSM area? How does me looking into possibly becoming a teacher have anything to do with moving to DSM?

For my own curiousity, why would you want to become a teacher now?

Personally, I'd rather work at McD's than be around kids all day.

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
For my own curiousity, why would you want to become a teacher now?

Personally, I'd rather work at McD's than be around kids all day.

I can't speak for who you are replying to, but I have seen several older people come to teaching from other areas of work specifically for a work schedule that better reflects their family schedule.

I sometimes get asked if I would rather work with adults instead of kids and I always respond NO! Kids have an excuse for their stupidity, as they often don't know any better. Adults should know better, but I have come to learn that in some instances they are worse than the kids.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
This is more a general licensing/certification thing but some of the education/sponsorship requirements are ridiculous. Like someone said the point is to make sure you are capable of doing the job. Official education or job sponsorship should have no bearing. You either know the info or you don’t. How you learned it shouldn’t matter

• Agree
Reactions: SoapyCy

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Hello. I teach band at a public high school in North Central Iowa.

Licenses are earned through certain requirements from coursework and/or teaching experience. Most states, including Iowa, have some sort of requirement of taking a course based on the history of education in that particular state. If a teacher were to come in from out of state, they would have to take a course, or potentially multiple courses depending on the licensure requirements of the state they come from. That being said, the BoEE offers programs to teachers moving in from out of state; most can apply and use a temporary license for a few years while finishing any other requirements for Iowa's license. This can almost always be easily done during summers and nights if the candidate already has a teaching license in another state.

Personally, I technically have two endorsements; Music K-7, and Music 5-12. Almost every high school band director/choir director I know has those same endorsements. The requirements to earn these endorsements are in the classroom, taking a cumulative exam (Praxis), and a certain amount of experience in the classroom, which is met for most teachers during their collegiate career with student teaching/practicum, or upon renewal from their actual teaching experience.

Most endorsements have a breakpoint depending on grade level; as I said before, music splits into two categories, K-7 and 5-12. These are not meant to be punitive or gatekeeping in any way; teaching elementary music is vastly different from teaching an instrumental ensemble in the upper grades.

Working with students at different grade levels can have incredibly different experiences. While it's often easy to make fun of all the red tape, teaching special ed at the HS level is nothing like teaching general mathematics in third grade, other than the low pay. In order to get your educational license, you must take certain coursework, regardless of endorsement. You must pass a background check, and you must pass a general test covering (mostly) developmental psych, and educational theory/foundations. You then get endorsements in whichever content areas you wish to teach.

Perhaps as a licensed teacher this makes me biased, but in teaching, you must have mastery of your material and subject. Your job is to teach and pass on that information to the students in an interesting, engaging, memorable way, whilst simultaneously teaching them the soft skills necessary to succeed after secondary school. I do not see an issue at all in requiring certain licensure in order to teach certain courses. Frankly, I find many of the responses here indicative of the public sentiment towards teachers; "anyone could do it! Why are we paying for babysitters?!"

That being said, there are avenues and opportunities to earn a teaching license without having the specific education degree; I do not know the ins-and-outs of these, as I am a more traditional teacher, but I am aware that Iowa allows professionals who have the want and passion to work with young people the opportunity to do so. I would suggest contacting the Iowa BoEE with further inquiries.
Thank you. That explains it really well. My wife's a teacher and I don't have that much trouble with the licensing process. My bigger issue tends to be with purchasing curriculum without researching them adequately.

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
I am most certainly not in that camp. I think we should pay teachers more and trust them more by giving them more leeway. Teaching to the test is horrible result of our modern education structure.

But saying "licensing shows you've taken the correct courses" is kind of circular reasoning, isn't it?

Being licensed by the Board of Educational Examiners shows that you have taken the proper coursework, have had experience in the classroom as a student teacher, and passed the Praxis II and content area exam. I'm not sure how this is circular reasoning; the BoEE is a state agency which confirms or denies licenses to potential teachers based on whether or not they meet the requirements put forth by the state legislature.

• Winner
Reactions: matclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Out of curiosity, what percent of the future teachers that take the coursework and student teach, don't actually get their license?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It's also a great way to maintain integrity in the profession, and to help prevent people from getting hurt or ripped off.

That is basic idea behind it, but situations such as that noted here are a perfect example of why it creeps to this extreme. Unless you are suggesting that a licensed teacher in one specific area is dangerous to people with needs in a slightly different area?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I’ve had to study at 4 different education institutions for my current license to have what it has on it, all because very few institutions (UNI is all I can think of) offer most, if not all, educational license requirements, and I don’t even have a masters.

Then also throw on an extra $100 for the Board of Educational Examiners to approve your application

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Simple answer to OP, money! If it's all about integrity and qualifications, then don't charge for it. There may be one I'm not aware of, but is there ever a license without money? It all starts with a desire for more money.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron