Five Guys Coming to Ames

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It would be great if someone bought the spot where K-Mart sits and did something with that.

This is already in the works. Proposal is to split the KMart building into multiple business "suites", and add some smaller buildings around the perimeter of the property -- at least 1 of which will have a drive-through.

https://www.amestrib.com/news/20181124/redevelopment-of-former-kmart-takes-another-step-closer

Page 121 here (drawings on page 144-167):
https://www.cityofames.org/home/showdocument?id=48326

Last edited:

IaState2021

Apr 19, 2019
Is this some weird usage of the word grill, of which I was previously unaware?

There are no grills in Five Guys restaurants. Flat top burgers are terrible.
It's better than a frozen patty warmed up in a microwave. Which is what you are getting at a place like Wendy's, B-Bops, or McDicks

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Haha you're being weirdly defensive over a ******* fast food burger joint. That's pretty hilarious. Yeah I do hate 100% soggy fries regardless if they're from Idaho, honey.
I generally agree about soggy fries but, for whatever reason, I like 5 Guys soggy fries.

I know it's very close to that in Mpls. If you wanted to pick it up downtown a burger is $9.96 and a shake is $6.54
Where is the downtown 5 Guys? I received a gift card for coaching something or other and haven't been near a location when it is convenient to use it.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
This is already in the works. Proposal is to split the KMart building into multiple business "suites", and add some smaller buildings around the perimeter of the property -- at least 1 of which will have a drive-through.

https://www.amestrib.com/news/20181124/redevelopment-of-former-kmart-takes-another-step-closer

Page 121 here (drawings start on page 144):
A KMart near us was converted into a church. That was a weird transformation.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Oh, you hate real potatoes from Idaho too? Give me a break, people just love to hate on five guys because of the price. Find another fast food burger place that uses only fresh ingredients.

I could give a rat's ass about fresh ingredients. I want to eat something that tastes good.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
When eating at Five Guys, always get the smallest burger and smallest fries. It's plenty of food.
Yeah, especially because most people are snacking on peanuts while the food is being prepared.

I know I am in the minority but I like a chunky fry like at 5 guys better than the frozen fries you get at McD's. I am always puzzled when I hear people say that Mac and Don's frozen fries are the best. If I am getting a smaller fry for a change of pace, I prefer Freddy's skinny fries.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
All the land behind Duff is literally in a 100 year flood zone. Every single inch from 30 to Lincoln Way.

View attachment 64166
I know that. But it didn't stop Walmart or Menards. I'm not saying build up right next the river. But that big plot just south of Target would seem fine for putting in a retail strip. Just my 2 cents.

I do agree elsewhere, west Ames needs more options. I think if they put a Target out there it would do really well and probably attract a few more things. I live in Boone and know tons of people that drive to Ames for Target. They'd just hit on the west side one if that was an option.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I don't understand complaining about the prices at Five Guys. It's one of the few chains we (my family) will eat at and never had a complaint about the prices or amount/quality of food. Its a fast food burger place, lower your expectations. The fries are Gluten Free so my celiac daughter can eat there, and I never leave their hungry.

If you are complaining about the prices at Five Guys, you must really get all hot and bothered at Applebees!

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I was excited when they came to CR. Went once and will never go back. $19 for a burger and shake? No, thanks.

Same. Heard all the hype. Was really excited when it came to WDM. Went twice. Underwhelmed on the product itself. It wasn't horrible but I honestly liked bbops better regardless of price. Factor in price...and it became a no-brainer.

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
When eating at Five Guys, always get the smallest burger and smallest fries. It's plenty of food.

I think they dont help themselves with the way they label things.

Their 'little' cheeseburger is a regular 1/4 pound burger anywhere else. Their 'little' fries are large fries anywhere else.

So people walk in for their first time, get a 'regular' cheeseburger, a 'regular' fries, a full shake, and then completely gorge themselves (those 3 things combined are 3-4k calories) or leave a lot of food uneaten, and then complain about the price when they got a massive amount of food.

Last edited:

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Where is that?

I have often wondered what was in the building before that now houses that Living Word Church and Maranatha school just east of 169 around 77th (Brooklyn Blvd).
It's not really that close to us. It's in Ramsey on Highway 10.

Yeah, especially because most people are snacking on peanuts while the food is being prepared.

I know I am in the minority but I like a chunky fry like at 5 guys better than the frozen fries you get at McD's. I am always puzzled when I hear people say that Mac and Don's frozen fries are the best. If I am getting a smaller fry for a change of pace, I prefer Freddy's skinny fries.
And that dipping sauce is pretty good. Is that new one a little to close to home for healthy living purposes?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Page 121 here (drawings on page 144-167):

Wow. That is making a lot of use of that property. New buildings along 16th and east of the parking lot. Fascinating that so much of the old retail building will be converted into storage units (I guess you can't have enough space for the stuff you bought during the K-Mart going out of business sale).

P.S. Didn't see anything about the provision for football parking! Shouldn't there be some squatter's rights for the people who used it for years? ;)

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
And that dipping sauce is pretty good. Is that new one a little to close to home for healthy living purposes?
Yes. We aren't happy that everything they are putting in around here is fast food. Why can't we get a few actual sit down restaurants? The closest things they have added that aren't strictly fast food are Pancheros and Jersey Mike's (with Chipotle coming) and those aren't far away from fast food. Do we really need a Burger King, Mickey D's and Freddy's all within spitting distance of each other? And all this after losing Sammy Perrella's...

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Yes. We aren't happy that everything they are putting in around here is fast food. Why can't we get a few actual sit down restaurants? The closest things they have added that aren't strictly fast food are Pancheros and Jersey Mike's (with Chipotle coming) and those aren't far away from fast food. Do we really need a Burger King, Mickey D's and Freddy's all within spitting distance of each other? And all this after losing Sammy Perrella's...
At least Tim Horton's is closing. The restaurant at Edinburgh may end up being pretty good. It's being managed by the D'Amico family.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone