Five Guys Coming to Ames

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
The burgers are delicious. Find me the price of McDonald's fancy burger with the same amount of custom toppings and it is probably around 10 bucks as well. Fries are meh. You get a ton but thicker fries aren't my jam.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I like Five Guys but its not twice as good as Wendys which is half the price. Also Wendys has a drive thru so I dont have to risk falling over when Im drunk, or getting anxiety from dealing with people face to face because Im too high, or some combination of both.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Five Guys is really awful. I couldn't finish the burger, the fries were really greasy, but the kick to the nuts was the 15 bucks I shelled out for a lousy burger, fries and shake.Hard to see how they stay in business.

They just go to all the places that don’t have a shake shack. Then once shake shack comes in they die off pretty quickly.

• Winner
Reactions: dahliaclone

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I generally agree about soggy fries but, for whatever reason, I like 5 Guys soggy fries.

Where is the downtown 5 Guys? I received a gift card for coaching something or other and haven't been near a location when it is convenient to use it.

5th and Nicollet

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Target would lose its ass in West Ames. Find me a town the size of Ames with 2 Targets.

The Duff store does ok but not as well as they'd like it to since it's not a Super Target. Take people out of that store and suddenly it doesn't make money while you'd have a money pit in a West Ames Target.

Before someone tries to say "Well, Walmart has 2 stores!"....Walmart has a much larger segment of the population they're after and they beat Target in the place it matters the most in a college town....price. That isn't to say no college students shop at Target (false), but most students are going to gravitate to the lowest price (Walmart).

Trumball, CT has two Targets. Population: 36,000 :)

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Iowans are so damn cheap. My goodness... sometimes if you want something good you have to pay a little bit more for it.

It's not that good to justify $10. I can get a really good burger at B-Bop's for $4 less. In n' Out is way better. I'll happily spend money on really good food. 5 Guys just doesn't qualify.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I was excited when they came to CR. Went once and will never go back. $19 for a burger and shake? No, thanks.

What kind of burger are you ordering? No one should be eating anything but their little burger. You should share the small fries because it's like 8 orders of regular fries.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I've never had a super greasy burger from there. Maybe certain franchises are doing something different than others? It's not the best thing I've ever eaten, but they are better than the Wendys and McD's of the world.

I don't ever buy a shake from there because they are expensive, but when my wife, daughter and I eat at 5 Guys, I don't think I've ever spent more than $25. Little burgers, drinks and then we all split a little fry (which is still plenty). It's maybe $5 more than a similar meal at McD's and way better IMO.

Yep, the little burgers are basically a quarter pounder, I think. The fries are massive.

I'm fine with 5 guys occasionally. I think what I like is all of the toppings you can get on it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron