***Official 2018-19 Transfer Thread***

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
How much better can the D be realistically? We were at 96.6 D Efficiency last year, #55. Lets say we get to 93.3 next year, which would be #25 in this year's ratings. That would be a huge increase in quality but only 3 points per 100 possessions better.

We were at 118 O Eff last year which was fantastic. OU was at #49, which was 110.5. That would be a net efficiency ranking drop of 5, which is pretty dang significant.

Again, the point isn't that TH or PN will be bad at the point. The point is that the efficiency of Shayok on offense, and the skill set of Wigginton are not currently replaced by guys on the team. There could be absolutely massive improvement by certain players but that I have to see to believe.

Some further context on that defense efficiency rating...

Here is the chart of the year.

upload_2019-4-22_16-44-25.png

Each bubble/shape is a game. Green are wins, red are loses. What a surprise -- when you play bad defense, you are way more likely to lose a game.

I know you cannot do this in reality, but we really had five "bad" games...

-- @ Iowa
-- TCU
-- Baylor
-- @ Texas
-- @ WVU

...where the team "lost coherence" on defense. We all remember the agony.

Drop those games from 110+ to more the season average, and we end up with a defensive efficiency of 93.7 (assuming you drop each by 20 points per 100 per game).

That would have been good for #27 in the country -- tied with Texas.

I am mostly just horsing around with numbers here. I guess you can make two points about it, though, one that "helps" the narrative, and the other that "hurts" it...

If the team can maintain team and defensive coherence throughout the season, like it did not last season, then the defense should overall improve. The defense last year was good on most days, but shot itself in the foot in February. Be consistent, and it is better.

Oh, so the defense was good last year? Do you think the guys we have coming in, with less size and experience, are going to be better defenders somehow? We lost some great athletes with some long arms. Or will adding more of a rebounding prowess generate enough possessions for the offense and/or deny them to the other side to make up for it?

I absolutely think there is no way we are going to match our half-court efficiency from last year. Shayok was too good at it. We are going to have to make it up in pieces elsewhere throughout the game -- more full-court running, better defense, more steals, fewer turnovers, more rebounds for us, fewer for them, all adding up to having more possessions for us/fewer possessions for them, even if we are not as good in individual possessions as last year.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I thought Nick was going to be a 2-4 swingman, and instead he turned into a pretty good college point guard -- not Monté, but very few guys are that good, obviously.

I remember our debates before the season being if Wigginton or Jackson would play PG. All of us were wrong. Wigginton and Jackson were both pretty solid scoring guards, but it turned out Nick was the best distributor and ball-handler of the three of them.

Was there anything in his background in high school, Arkansas, or Iowa State to indicate that Nick would turn into our floor general? I do not remember anything like that.

Guys can develop and surprise you. I think Haliburton is always going to be a pass-first guy, but he might be able to find a gear as a scorer or creating we have not seen yet.

Babb was a PG in high school

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Idk what "run the point" means in modern college bball but the best definition for a Steve Prohm coached team is the guy who runs the high ball screen. I don't remember TH running that play last year but he didn't get a ton of time with the ball in his hands so that could be why, we did see LW run that play a lot when he was handling the ball.

I think from the little video I've seen on Nixon, he's more that style of player but who knows. I think Tyrese Haliburton will be announced as the starting PG in warmups but the ball will be in Nixon's hands much more in the half court. What that means as far as who is the PG or not, idk.

I remember TH running the pick and roll early in the season. Maui maybe? He had a bit more change of pace than Babb and made some nice passes to the rolling big man. He was able to get into the lane and then used patience to draw the defense before making a pass.

Reactions: heitclone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
IMO if people are expecting Tyrese to be a 15+ppg scorer next year that is unrealistic and not necessary. For me assists are critical for TH- I expect 6-7apg.

The key to next years offense is getting the cheap points from fast breaks, offensive rebounds, out of bound plays

Roster scoring balance will play a big part in our having a decent offense next year. The below scoring breakout would get us to 77ppg, which is about our Big12 scoring average in 2016/17.

Nixon 14ppg
Jacobson 13ppg
Tfr Guard 12ppg
Halliburton 10ppg
Young 10ppg
Conditt 8ppg
Bench 2 6ppg
Bench 3 4ppg

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I remember TH running the pick and roll early in the season. Maui maybe? He had a bit more change of pace than Babb and made some nice passes to the rolling big man. He was able to get into the lane and then used patience to draw the defense before making a pass.

Good to hear, like I said, I couldn't remember it if he had,he just didn't get much run at PG . I just think that's what will decide who's really running the show. A dream scenario would be a guy with his size that had a couple spot up shooters to sit in the corners spotted up waiting for him to pass over top the defense and knock shots down.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I think we need to pump the breaks on him being more offensive threat, he wasn't that kind of player in HS, at that level he played pretty similar to how he played last year, make the smart play and don't force things. I think his production will increase but I don't see him becoming the focal point of the offense.

If we see him doing what you are describing, I think that means your last sentence is true and he'll be forced to play a role he's not comfortable with. If that's the case, next year could be a long year. I think he's great and is going to have a great soph season, he's just not the kind of player you are describing. What's more is, he's nothing like the guys that have had the ball in their hands under Prohm.

He's a totally different player but these threads remind me of the people who were 100% certain Donovan Jackson was going to evolve in to a different style of guard over night and replace Monte at PG, just because that's what we needed. It's more complicated than just plugging in whichever player is listed as PG on the roster.

I described a guy that can get into the lane and use a floater. Prohm has mentioned he has the shot in his arsenal, but hasn't used it that often. He hit a couple in the nonconference and had a couple rim out later in the season. I'm not saying he's going to be the most aggressive scorer on the team. Just more aggressive than he is. Something like 10-12 ppg instead of the 6.8 he averaged with a 10.1% usage rate last season. For reference, Babb's usage rate was 16.1%, Wigginton was 26.9%.

I noted that the biggest hole in his game is a jumper off the dribble. I'm not expecting that to come next season. Nixon might be our late shot clock guy.

He's always going to be a pass-first guy. My point was that his ability to get into the middle of the defense is going to be a change from what we've had the last two seasons, and it will be even more effective if he can be a bigger threat once he's in the lane. He's capable of creating a shot. I'm not saying he needs to turn into Wigginton, but he's capable of averaging 10+. The ball is going to be in his hands a lot next season.

Reactions: heitclone

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
I described a guy that can get into the lane and use a floater. Prohm has mentioned he has the shot in his arsenal, but hasn't used it that often. He hit a couple in the nonconference and had a couple rim out later in the season. I'm not saying he's going to be the most aggressive scorer on the team. Just more aggressive than he is. Something like 10-12 ppg instead of the 6.8 he averaged with a 10.1% usage rate last season. For reference, Babb's usage rate was 16.1%, Wigginton was 26.9%.

I noted that the biggest hole in his game is a jumper off the dribble. I'm not expecting that to come next season. Nixon might be our late shot clock guy.

He's always going to be a pass-first guy. My point was that his ability to get into the middle of the defense is going to be a change from what we've had the last two seasons, and it will be even more effective if he can be a bigger threat once he's in the lane. He's capable of creating a shot. I'm not saying he needs to turn into Wigginton, but he's capable of averaging 10+. The ball is going to be in his hands a lot next season.
I agree with you and what some others have mentioned to some extent - Prohm's O seems to be based on a PG that can run the pick & roll and create for himself and others - Monte and presumably Canaan & Payne would exemplify this (didn't watch them at Murray). Babb did a nice job as a PG but doesn't fit this apparent preference; Lindell fit pretty well, but, significantly, didn't handle the ball all that well. TH can certainly create for others, get in the lane, and has a good handle, but he needs to add the shot for himself. Seems a lot like Diante's growth at ISU, so we'll see how much can be "grown" in year 2.

Others have mentioned D - I see no reason why we can't be better on D next year. Those that have left were not great on D. Lard blocked shots but wasn't a position player, and our guards didn't keep the opponent guards in front of them well at all. Nixon is supposed to be great on D, which should be a good help. Having Conditt and/or Solo in much more should help as well. As far as the newcomers and growth in returnees, we shall see.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

2) Rayjon Tucker, 6-5, 210, SG, Little Rock
Stats: 20.3 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 41% 3-pointers
Scout’s take: “Very, very athletic. Can shoot. Has some ball skills. Freak athlete.”
Schools: West Virginia (visited), Auburn (4-19), Memphis (4-25), North Carolina, South Carolina, Iowa State, Kansas, Arkansas

19) Camron Justice, 6-3, 180, SG, IUPUI
Stats: 18.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 35% 3-pointers
Scout’s take: “Skilled and crafty veteran guard who is a confident and aggressive scorer. Has some combo ability, but is most effective playing off the ball. Has deep range.”
Schools: Western Kentucky, Iowa State, Virginia Tech, Michigan, Northwestern, Marshall, Colorado State, Utah State, Tulane, SMU, EKU, Illinois State

42) Edric Dennis, 6-0, 190, G, UT Arlington
Stats: 14.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg
Scout’s take: “Competitive, resilient. Hired gunner. Can get hot quick.”
Schools: Iowa State, Alabama, Baylor, TCU, Kansas State, Utah State, SMU, Georgia Tech, Xavier

8) Caleb Daniels, 6-4, 205, SG, Soph., Tulane
Stats: 16.9 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 3.3 apg
Scout’s take: “Physically strong, athletic wing. Shoots with NBA range, excellent downhill player who is extremely competitive. NBA potential. Effective in post area. Matchup problem.”
Schools: Ohio State, Villanova, Texas Tech, Baylor, Xavier, Georgia Tech, TCU, Iowa State, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Nevada, Seton Hall, New Mexico

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Scout’s take: “Very, very athletic. Can shoot. Has some ball skills. Freak athlete.”
Schools: West Virginia (visited), Auburn (4-19), Memphis (4-25), North Carolina, South Carolina, Iowa State, Kansas, Arkansas

Scout’s take: “Skilled and crafty veteran guard who is a confident and aggressive scorer. Has some combo ability, but is most effective playing off the ball. Has deep range.”
Schools: Western Kentucky, Iowa State, Virginia Tech, Michigan, Northwestern, Marshall, Colorado State, Utah State, Tulane, SMU, EKU, Illinois State

Schools: Iowa State, Alabama, Baylor, TCU, Kansas State, Utah State, SMU, Georgia Tech, Xavier

Scout’s take: “Physically strong, athletic wing. Shoots with NBA range, excellent downhill player who is extremely competitive. NBA potential. Effective in post area. Matchup problem.”
Schools: Ohio State, Villanova, Texas Tech, Baylor, Xavier, Georgia Tech, TCU, Iowa State, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Nevada, Seton Hall, New Mexico

What's the story on Dennis?

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

5) Admon Gilder, 6-4, 200, G, Texas A&M
Stats: 12.3 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 40% 3-pointers
Scout’s take: “Big-time kid, relentless work ethic. He was one of the best defensive players in the SEC over the last three seasons and has already scored over 1,000 points in his career.”
Schools: N/A

CW linked Gilder to ISU a could weeks ago. Idk if that's still happening but we're interested.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
5) Admon Gilder, 6-4, 200, G, Texas A&M
Stats: 12.3 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 40% 3-pointers
Scout’s take: “Big-time kid, relentless work ethic. He was one of the best defensive players in the SEC over the last three seasons and has already scored over 1,000 points in his career.”
Schools: N/A

CW linked Gilder to ISU a could weeks ago. Idk if that's still happening but we're interested.

Grad Transfer? What is his status for years to play?

Help Support Us

Become a patron