***Official 2018-19 Transfer Thread***

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
He has not shown the ability to get his own shot. That might change before next year but there is plenty of cause for concern about him as the primary ball handler.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. It seemed like he was able to get the ball into the middle of the lane much easier than Babb. Plenty of times he could've pulled up or hit a floater and instead was looking for guys on the wing or in the corners.

It's something our offense has been missing with Babb at the point. A guy that can get into the middle of the defense. Babb mostly found driving lanes on the outside. Wigginton had the ability to get to the middle, but his decision making and finishing were average and teams started forcing him baseline.

I agree TH still has to prove that he can be a bigger offensive threat other than catch and shoot threes, but the ability to get a shot is there. Now he just needs to be more aggressive. Developing a pull up off the dribble from 3 is a must if you're going to be a PG. That's the biggest hole I see.

I'm much more excited about the prospects of a TH-led offense than what we've seen the last two seasons. But it looks like his help might be lacking.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
The last 6'6" combo guard from UVA had success at ISU.

@JamieOakes247 According to @EvanDaniels, #UVA’s Marco Anthony has entered the transfer portal … https://247sports.com/college/virginia/Board/16/Contents/Marco-Anthony-131418172/

https://247sports.com/Player/Marco-Anthony-93854/high-school-179399/

Only put up 1.5 ppg 0.7 rpg 0.6 Apg in 6.3 mpg at UVA but was obviously behind some talented players.

Given prohms success with Shayok i would be ok with this. I’d rather take a player with high major experience and a winning mindset than some low major player that may have higher numbers if only cuz they played on a bad team / competition.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. It seemed like he was able to get the ball into the middle of the lane much easier than Babb. Plenty of times he could've pulled up or hit a floater and instead was looking for guys on the wing or in the corners.

It's something our offense has been missing with Babb at the point. A guy that can get into the middle of the defense. Babb mostly found driving lanes on the outside. Wigginton had the ability to get to the middle, but his decision making and finishing were average and teams started forcing him baseline.

I agree TH still has to prove that he can be a bigger offensive threat other than catch and shoot threes, but the ability to get a shot is there. Now he just needs to be more aggressive. Developing a pull up off the dribble from 3 is a must if you're going to be a PG. That's the biggest hole I see.

I'm much more excited about the prospects of a TH-led offense than what we've seen the last two seasons. But it looks like his help might be lacking.

I think we need to pump the breaks on him being more offensive threat, he wasn't that kind of player in HS, at that level he played pretty similar to how he played last year, make the smart play and don't force things. I think his production will increase but I don't see him becoming the focal point of the offense.

If we see him doing what you are describing, I think that means your last sentence is true and he'll be forced to play a role he's not comfortable with. If that's the case, next year could be a long year. I think he's great and is going to have a great soph season, he's just not the kind of player you are describing. What's more is, he's nothing like the guys that have had the ball in their hands under Prohm.

He's a totally different player but these threads remind me of the people who were 100% certain Donovan Jackson was going to evolve in to a different style of guard over night and replace Monte at PG, just because that's what we needed. It's more complicated than just plugging in whichever player is listed as PG on the roster.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think we need to pump the breaks on him being more offensive threat, he wasn't that kind of player in HS, at that level he played pretty similar to how he played last year, make the smart play and don't force things. I think his production will increase but I don't see him becoming the focal point of the offense.

If we see him doing what you are describing, I think that means your last sentence is true and he'll be forced to play a role he's not comfortable with. If that's the case, next year could be a long year. I think he's great and is going to have a great soph season, he's just not the kind of player you are describing. What's more is, he's nothing like the guys that have had the ball in their hands under Prohm.

He's a totally different player but these threads remind me of the people who were 100% certain Donovan Jackson was going to evolve in to a different style of guard over night and replace Monte at PG, just because that's what we needed. It's more complicated than just plugging in whichever player is listed as PG on the roster.

Yeah, he was a scorer in high school, but never a volume shooter. Lots of box scores like 6-10, 2-3 from three, 8-10 free throws.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I thought Nick was going to be a 2-4 swingman, and instead he turned into a pretty good college point guard -- not Monté, but very few guys are that good, obviously.

I remember our debates before the season being if Wigginton or Jackson would play PG. All of us were wrong. Wigginton and Jackson were both pretty solid scoring guards, but it turned out Nick was the best distributor and ball-handler of the three of them.

Was there anything in his background in high school, Arkansas, or Iowa State to indicate that Nick would turn into our floor general? I do not remember anything like that.

Guys can develop and surprise you. I think Haliburton is always going to be a pass-first guy, but he might be able to find a gear as a scorer or creating we have not seen yet.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I think Tyrese could easily put up the kind of production Babb did last year. The point isn't that Babb was bad, because he wasn't. The point is that a Babb level player isn't going to be good enough to get this team where we want it to be next year.

Who do you think will run the point?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I thought Nick was going to be a 2-4 swingman, and instead he turned into a pretty good college point guard -- not Monté, but very few guys are that good, obviously.

I remember our debates before the season being if Wigginton or Jackson would play PG. All of us were wrong. Wigginton and Jackson were both pretty solid scoring guards, but it turned out Nick was the best distributor and ball-handler of the three of them.

Was there anything in his background in high school, Arkansas, or Iowa State to indicate that Nick would turn into our floor general? I do not remember anything like that.

Guys can develop and surprise you. I think Haliburton is always going to be a pass-first guy, but he might be able to find a gear as a scorer or creating we have not seen yet.

Somebody was right....;)

Reactions: heitclone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

There were people who thought NWB should play PG, not everyone was wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think Tyrese could easily put up the kind of production Babb did last year. The point isn't that Babb was bad, because he wasn't. The point is that a Babb level player isn't going to be good enough to get this team where we want it to be next year.

We had the #9 offense in the country last year according to Barttorvik.

I do not think we have a snowball's chance of equaling that year unless we have some pretty significant development from everybody on the roster, including the bench players, and we nail a high-level graduate transfer and some good freshmen guards.

We are just going to have to be better on defense and rebounding.

I cannot see a Nick/Tyrese player leading an offense as good as last year. But can I see them leading a good team with more balance between the phases? Yes.

Last edited:

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Who do you think will run the point?

Idk what "run the point" means in modern college bball but the best definition for a Steve Prohm coached team is the guy who runs the high ball screen. I don't remember TH running that play last year but he didn't get a ton of time with the ball in his hands so that could be why, we did see LW run that play a lot when he was handling the ball.

I think from the little video I've seen on Nixon, he's more that style of player but who knows. I think Tyrese Haliburton will be announced as the starting PG in warmups but the ball will be in Nixon's hands much more in the half court. What that means as far as who is the PG or not, idk.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
There were people who thought NWB should play PG, not everyone was wrong.
Right, NWB playing pg goes back to his high school days. It’s hard to believe we actually tried to play DJ and Wigginton at pg to start 2017-18. NWB must have had a really rough first few weeks in 2017-18.

Then again, even after two years of watching Wigginton, some here still wanted Wigginton as the pg. No doubt that group was larger when recruiting hype was unchecked.

Reactions: heitclone