Does Steve Prohm have a new unofficial standard?

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I know this is a sore subject right now with the Hoiberg stuff but Painter played at Purdue under Gene Keady and was hired as a coach in waiting when Keady was on his way out. Purdue is/was his dream job, we never would have had a chance with him, not sure anyone would.

He's a really good example of a school sticking with a coach though, after some initial success of 6 straight tourneys, 4 first round wins and 2 Sweet 16's, he went 4 years without winning a tourney game. That "rough" stretch included missing the tourney twice (one CBI qtr final appearance) and two first round exits. In the 3 years since, he's gone to 2 Sweet 16's and will play for the Final Four tomorrow. Plenty of Purdue fans wanted him gone after the couple seasons he struggled, basically because they thought their program wasn't meeting their standards, the standards he helped set.

Prohm doesn't have quite as big a sample size but its a pretty similar situation with some fans thinking he's not getting it done unless he's always in the Sweet 16. Painter went to 2 Sweet 16's in his first 5 seasons at Purdue, it took him 6 more years to get his 3rd. Just food for thought for the people who think Prohm should be living in the Sweet 16 or beyond.

He was the top candidate at Missouri when they hired mike Anderson.

Reactions: heitclone

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
2xb2vi.jpg

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Hi, Ed!!!

So, I'll assert that Iowa State was a wrestling school - until Gable's run at Iowa, then we had to move on.

Has the original question been answered? What was it again? Oh, if the irrigated corn in Nebraska grows taller than the non-irrigated corn in Iowa, should Iowans have planted corn at all?

Ready for another? Can God create a boulder so heavy He can't lift it?

• Disagree
Reactions: isu83

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Here are the records in conference play for our former coaches going back to Johnny:

JO -- 79-117
Floyd -- 30-30
LE -- 42-38
Morgan -- 22-26
McDermott -- 18-46
Mayor -- 49-39
Prohm -- 35-37

I'd say Mayor did pretty well at ISU.

Johnny’s conference record... woof...

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
So, I'll assert that Iowa State was a wrestling school - until Gable's run at Iowa, then we had to move on.

Has the original question been answered? What was it again? Oh, if the irrigated corn in Nebraska grows taller than the non-irrigated corn in Iowa, should Iowans have planted corn at all?

Okay, I'm confused. How is this a reply to my "Hi, Ed!" comment? o_O

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

If "He" is Fred the of course not.

RagnarLothbrok

Feb 28, 2015
If Fred beats out Izzo and John Beilein, wins B1G championships, and goes far in the Big Dance WITH NEBRASKA, while Prohm is suffering 2017-2018 style Basketball seasons, then yes, Prohm will be toast.

I don't see that happening. Good recruits, decent coaching. Worst case scenario is a blue blood steals Prohm away.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
He definitely did pretty well. But he also left a massive talent hole that caused Prohm to go 4-14 in the league. So conference records are definitely skewed.

Unless you are going to win a regular season title (something he didn’t do with loads of talent), then conference record is pretty much irrelevant and overall success is more important. And as I pointed out, Prohm’s overall success matches Hoiberg’s. Except Hoiberg lost as a 3 seed and Prohm lost as a 6.

Apparently we should remove Hoiberg’s first year of 3-13 in the conference because he was also left with a major talent gap. That makes him 46-26 in the Big 12 through 4 years.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Apparently we should remove Hoiberg’s first year of 3-13 in the conference because he was also left with a major talent gap. That makes him 46-26 in the Big 12 through 4 years.

As I was saying, out in force to protect and polish Fred.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

Also, so you’re saying he Mcdermotted the program talent wise then?

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Also, so you’re saying he Mcdermotted the program talent wise then?

Yep. Niang, Morris, Thomas, Nader, Burton, Naz and McKay. Cupboard was definitely bare.

Nader and Burton flourished in a way under Prohm that was astonishing. All I’m saying is that those people that want to excuse CSP’s 3rd year (which is fine) should also view CFH’s 1st year in the same way.

I told you earlier that CSP has now mostly matched what CFH accomplished. He needs to get better with his in-game adjustments and as he does this program will cement itself as a Top 3-4 program in the Big 12.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Sure. But like I said, I don’t really care what your overall conference record is. I care about results. And their end results are very similar.

Mar 7, 2019
oh yeah, good times when half time was must see TV. Nothing against Red Panda and FMH Acro teams, but I can watch them only so many times.

I’ll take red panda and acro teams over the lack of halftime entertainment. I think we only had like 4 or 5 actual halftime shows this past season.