Does Steve Prohm have a new unofficial standard?

DuneFan

Nov 7, 2015
Let's say, for the sake of argument, that in 4 years or so Fred Hoiberg is regularly getting beyond the first round in the NCAA tournament and Steve Prohm is not. Should Hoiberg's success at Nebraska be used as a standard for what we should expect from Steve Prohm here? Would it be reasonable to expect Prohm to do at least as well here as Hoiberg does at Nebraska?

I think so. Iowa State has a DEEP tradition and history in basketball. For all the years that we sucked in football, we regarded ISU as a "basketball school". I don't care who is coaching at Nebraska, we should be able to do as well as a school with next to no history in the sport, and which as of right now still has NO NCAA tournament wins.

I think Pollard giving Prohm a contract extension is going to haunt him.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
if-it-looks-stupid-but-works-it-amp-039-s-just-op-being-a-fag_o_3678391.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: JaCyn

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
The more I think about it, it's probably better for ISU if Fred sucks at NU. Not because I think he'll be beating us for recruits or anything, but the Fred knob polishers will be insufferable if he does well over there.

Exhibit A.........................

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that in 4 years or so Fred Hoiberg is regularly getting beyond the first round in the NCAA tournament and Steve Prohm is not. Should Hoiberg's success at Nebraska be used as a standard for what we should expect from Steve Prohm here? Would it be reasonable to expect Prohm to do at least as well here as Hoiberg does at Nebraska?

I think so. Iowa State has a DEEP tradition and history in basketball. For all the years that we sucked in football, we regarded ISU as a "basketball school". I don't care who is coaching at Nebraska, we should be able to do as well as a school with next to no history in the sport, and which as of right now still has NO NCAA tournament wins.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin

Fred will probably win a National Championship at Nebraska and at least a third of CF will commit suicide.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Or do we hold him to the Fran M. Standard, since he is the other power conference coach in the state?

Just saying . We should expect isu in the NCAAs every year.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
You must be really young. ISU most certainly does NOT have a deep basketball tradition. The current era is the best in school history and it's not even close.

Truth. We had a decent fan following starting with Orr but were only considered a basketball school because we sucked so bad at football that we needed to be called a "something" sports school.

The obvious choice "Cross Country School" had no cachet. ;)

Edit Disclosure: I actually really LIKE cross country.

Last edited: