Spring Flooding

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
They'd probably open up the outflow i assume, once it hit that point. From what i can see the peak outflow is more than double what it is currently forecast to be

I'm not a weather/flooding "guy".

Are you saying the reservoir can hold/release twice as much as what the peak flooding is forecast so we don't need to worry?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Eventually. The city council dug in their heels when the Army Core said it wasn't economical to pay for walls on both the west and east side. So total cost of the project is something like an obscene $750M over 20+ years. It sounds like the completed portion protecting the NewBo area worked as intended though.

That's pretty close. I think the Corps still won't pay for west side walls. But at least the money finally got released for the project overall.

The city also had to convince them to make some other changes as well, walling off Cedar Lake, and protecting some more area on the east side north of Coe ("North Industrial" - where I work).

Here's the official timeline: http://www.cedar-rapids.org/local_government/departments_g_-_v/public_works/timeline.php

Definitely a marathon, not a sprint.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm not a weather/flooding "guy".

Are you saying the reservoir can hold/release twice as much as what the peak flooding is forecast so we don't need to worry?

I'm not really either, but i'm decent with the google. It looks like it peaked out in 2008 at 47,000 CFS, when the water levels were high enough that water was going over the emergency spillway.

As to 'need to worry' thats a combination of a lot of factors, i imagine. Saylorville dam itself will be fine, but how much its outflow affects things downstream is likely a function of multiple things, including the Raccoon, as was noted earlier.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
See some farmers having problems right now. Karma for forest fires.

I'll bite how were the forest fires farmers fault? I could see arguing poor forest policy that didn't allow the harvest or clean up of timber but farming?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'll bite how were the forest fires farmers fault? I could see arguing poor forest policy that didn't allow the harvest or clean up of timber but farming?

I'm guessing there's a political reference there to farmers supporting the guy that has basically given the middle finger to the west coast when it comes to disaster relief out there.