Spring Flooding

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Flew in to the Freemont to pick up my daughter and her roommates who attend Midlands. The flooding is worse than I thought. That tiny airport was crazy busy.

My wife just caught a flight to Wahoo and a friend is going to pick her up and take her home. My office is by the airport and I can hear them taking off the last 2 days. Pretty bad when have to fly to make a 3 mile trip.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Supposed to get pretty warm this week. Still a lot of snow left to melt here in northern iowa. The cold temps on friday froze the ponds slightly and kept more from melting. Allowed things to go down some up here and buy time to get the rivers situated for the next wave coming.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Nothing like what western IA and especially Nebraska are dealing with but CR is now forecast to crest at 18.5'. The inundation map shows that is close to affecting the Newbo area but I am not sure if that has been updated since the newish Sinclair levy was finished.
The HESCO barriers are getting put up.
I haven't heard a call for sandbagging yet.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
The HESCO barriers are getting put up.
I haven't heard a call for sandbagging yet.

Saw that. I doubt we will see one with the forecast crest only being 18.5. My personal opinion is sandbagging isn't needed much anymore unless it gets above 25'.

• Agree
Reactions: Entropy

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
My wife just caught a flight to Wahoo and a friend is going to pick her up and take her home. My office is by the airport and I can hear them taking off the last 2 days. Pretty bad when have to fly to make a 3 mile trip.

Home for the first time since Friday. Drove 65 miles to find an open bridge for a normally 5 mile drive.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
If the river goes crazy like it did in 16, that's potentially another week schools will be closed. The school year will end damn near close to July.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Currently Truman lake is 9 feet above normal. The highest I have seen was about 15-16 above normal so it has a way to go. When you think about the size of that lake, that's a lot of water. I'll most likely take a drive down that way in a few weeks.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Is CR ever getting a flood wall or are the HESCO barriers the current and future flood wall?

Eventually. The city council dug in their heels when the Army Core said it wasn't economical to pay for walls on both the west and east side. So total cost of the project is something like an obscene $750M over 20+ years. It sounds like the completed portion protecting the NewBo area worked as intended though.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Saylorville Lake is now forecasted to go over the emergency flood wall but around 5 feet from the pneumatic crest gate around the 27th of March. Any increase in the inflow to the lake could be a massive problem...

http://rivergages.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/Districts/MVR/Forecast/sayforecast.html

They'd probably open up the outflow i assume, once it hit that point. From what i can see the peak outflow is more than double what it is currently forecast to be

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
They'd probably open up the outflow i assume, once it hit that point. From what i can see the peak outflow is more than double what it is currently forecast to be

Outflow is determined by the Racoon River since that can't be controlled. They won't open the gates moer if the Racoon is still in major flood stages

• Agree
Reactions: Tri4Cy

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I found this very interesting about the Saylorville Dam:
"Under normal conditions, the dam releases water through a gated 22-foot diameter-conduit located at the base of the dam. The conduit’s maximum outflow is 21,000 cfs. Since the 1993 flood, the Corps has incorporated an inflatable dam (pneumatic crest gates) that, when inflated, provides an additional 6 feet of spillway elevation to 890’ NGVD29. However, if the pool level is forecast to rise above 890’ NGVD29, the inflatable dam will be lowered as we do not have the legal authority to maintain the pool above 890’ NGVD29."

However the can submit a deviation for above 890'.

https://www.mvr.usace.army.mil/Portals/48/docs/CC/FactSheets/ODS/Saylorville Lake - Operations.pdf
https://www.mvr.usace.army.mil/Port.../SaylorvilleLakeOperations2010SpringFlood.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: cyfan92

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron