***Official Baylor postgame thread***

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I remember when Prohm said we were going to be stronger on defense - that was a joke. This team has no defensive stopper and would rather stand and watch than play defense.

But we didn't foul! that is good, right? not fouling? It looks awesome when referees call touch fouls on other team and we hit the crazy 30 foot jumpers....not so cool when it is a Detroit Pistons game.
...this coach and team seem to struggle adjusting to that.
I wonder if this coach had Kenny Pratt and Shawn Bankhead over there on the bench if he would use them to do their thing.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
The best was the fast break by Baylor, missed shot, three ISU players stand there while Gillespie hustles and gets the board.

Practice this week should consist of nothing but Frank Martins favorite murderball rebounding drill.
The sad thing I remember that play so well, not a big dunk or anything like that, just 3 guys looking at the ball.

And the Babb shot where he just stared and did not follow up, if he took 3 steps towards the rim to follow his shot, he would have gotten the board,

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BigD and ArgentCy

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Coach Scott Drew looks like someone who should be your dentist, but sure can college basketball. Just controlled the tempo of the game, and suffocated us on both sides of the court! You can hate the guy, but he sure is good...

Gary_ISU

Apr 12, 2006
Team is like Jekyl and Hyde - exactly what a realist would expect from such youth. Coaching probably could have been better, but you could see the guys didn’t stick with what Prohm tried to change at the half. They came out with defensive intensity and had good success and regressed back to sloppy 15 foot jumpers and soft defense.

On offense, nobody methodically attacks the paint, everybody settles for jumpers that just aren’t consistent enough.

I actually think coach has over taught the team to be selfless to the point nobody stays aggressive and takes the game over unless they just happen to get hot from deep.

Shayok tried but his shots just haven’t dropped for about 2 weeks now and it’s killing us.

How can you say youth is a factor? We played 8 guys tonight. 3 are transfer seniors, 1 transfer junior, 2 sophomores that started last year and 2 freshmen. That is not a youthful team.

It is a very soft team that is not well coached.

nyclone

Feb 5, 2014
It's been forever since I posted, but this one made me come out of retirement. We didn't score for the last 6.5 minutes....that's on the coach and I'll tell you why.
1) We're down 4-6 points and we walk the ball up the court with zero energy and with no pace. Coach needs to light a fire up their a** and try to get some momentum (we are at home, momentum would be good). Set the tune and get a quick bucket somehow. We're losing!
2) We don't run any plays, period. We do the dribble hand-off BS above the 3 point line and try to go off the pick and roll, that's it. Coach needs to run a play to get someone open. May I remind you yes Niang made plays at the end of the game, and guess who was getting him the ball....Hoiberg.
I am not calling for Prohm to be fired....but it's HIS job to put players in positions to succeed and make buckets. For nearly 7 minutes at the end of the game he failed.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
After every loss I just think that we are only 15 months removed from getting taken to the woodshed at home by Milwaukee. Should be happy looking at a 5 seed or so with 5 to play, but man this game sucked.

Good perspective. Which is pretty much absent right now.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Spanky

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
But yet so many bashing on different players all night, and after each loss. So which is it?
I don't think the team is as talented as some make it out to be.

Fact is this team, and the players have some talent, but just aren't that conference championship, top 3 seed type talent.

It’s coaching. Teams follow their coach.

XD40

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2008
Urbandale
This team is either Sweet Sixteen/Elite Eight or getting bounced in the first round. Too much inconsistency from game to game. Hustle and the drive to win disappears for too long of stretches. Disappointing and at home no less.

• Agree
Reactions: ianoconnor

Istater4life

Jun 14, 2010
And of those that I can remember Halliburton's missed three being a good shot. Shayok took 2?terrible shots, NWB took 2 terrible shots, and Wiggy took a poor jumper. By that time the game was over.

This team has no upperclassman leadership. When we need a bucket, there isn't a guard that forces action at the rim or a guy we can give it to on the block and let 'em go to work.

Then we missed a jumper and have no ability to get stops unless we get a steal.

The 17' contested jump shots with 15 seconds left on the shot clock need to end.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Hilton isn’t “magic” like these guys think, apparently. You don’t just show up. The “magic” is from the hustle, the extra effort, the scrappiness of a tipped ball leading to a dunk or three pointer and 14000+ frenzied fans emploring a team to victory.
This team has no idea what they have lost, or are losing, or how to get it back!
Just so damn disppointed in the lack of leadership on this team and ho hum attitude. A slap in the face to us fans who help build Hilton to be, what was, a real nightmare to opposing teams!!!!
YES. YES. YES.
Could not have said it any better. I'm legit trying to think of a single time this entire year where the following sequence or similar occurs:
Big defensive stop, turns into a huge fast break dunk. Hilton goes crazy. Ear bleeding noise levels. Other team comes down, we force a turnover. Transition three pointer. Place explodes. Timeout other team. We dominate the last couple minutes and send them on their way with an L. I don't think that or anything similar has occurred all season. The Magic is gone.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
In everyone of our losses, we see the same pattern repeating itself, poor rebounding, tonight we were out rebounded by 14, and we did not hit at least 10 3 pointers. Tonight we were 8 of 23.

I get Baylor is a poor matchup with us, just like TCU is, how about we try a 2 big and 3 guard lineup against teams like this. We have yet to see both our bigs out on the floor at the same time. Just kills us rebounding wise. At least we hit our free throws.

We are now in 5th place, Baylor wins the tie breaker having swept the series with us, we now have to win out and hope, for even a chance at the conference lead.

When we are playing well, we are an elite 8 team, when we play like tonight, we can lose in the 1st round. We have no mental toughness, and will go as far as the 3 pointers take us.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I watched about 5 minutes in the first half and could tell the team was not going to win and shut it off. I'll suffer through this sh*t on a Saturday, but no f***ing way am I going to hang in until 10 at night on a weekday to feel like I want to puke. Its much easier to handle following the score on my phone and watching a replay if it's worth it.

• Agree
Reactions: Spanky

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
What was the adjustment to be made? Serious question, rebounding is desire and effort, what about what happened was adjustable?

Fair point - our two bigs (Jacobson and Lard) combined for 6 total rebounds. Six.

But maybe try Conditt. Maybe crash and bring even more guards down. I don’t know. Maybe you are right that it’s more effort...which sucks worse.

clones8232

Jun 5, 2015
I've pretty much always been a supporter of Prohm, but I'm really finding it hard to do anymore.

I NEVER would have thought he would end up being a great recruiter and not a very good coach.... I thought he'd be the exact opposite when he came here. I figured he would be a great coach, but wouldn't be able to get the talent here.

When we face another smallish team that likes to run and gun and we hit our shots.... then Prohm looks like the greatest coach ever because we are unstoppable. But when we play a bigger team that wants to slow it down and make it a half court x's and o's type game, Prohm gets outcoached time and time again.

Fact of the matter is I could coach this team to a win against a team that wants to run with us because you don't really have to do any coaching, just let them go. It's games like tonight that really show who can coach, and Drew owned Prohm big time. It wasn't even close.

If nobody on the team is even attempting to box out and rebound and you're losing the game because of that.... wouldn't you try someone else like maybe Conditt who is 6'10" and has really long arms? What can it hurt to give him a try? Or when our guys can't hit a 3 to save their life, maybe throw in Lewis and see if he can catch fire?

We lost our chance at the Big 12 title by losing at home to a very average Baylor team. At least I don't have any expectations for this team anymore this season.

Put your resume in

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
This is one of, if not the only year we have the most talented roster 1-7. That's what makes this painful + now 3 home losses in conference.

• Agree
Reactions: ianoconnor

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Uh TCU loss essentially sailed that boat dropped us from the favorite to 4th.

We are still a 5 seed in the Big one. Don’t get me wrong losing at home sucks but not the end like some think.

One of Prohm's strengths since he came here, is that his teams have played their best ball in February and March. You can't say that about this team. They are wildly inconsistent and look completely different from game to game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron