***Official Baylor postgame thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
The lack of adjustments is mind boggling. I’m a huge Prohm guy but how in the world can you stand on the sideline and watch your team get its ass kicked on the glass for 40 minute before you decide to do something about it???

What was the adjustment to be made? Serious question, rebounding is desire and effort, what about what happened was adjustable?

• Agree
Reactions: CySmurf

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Effort not great, Baylor is very long but probably half of the offensive rebounds were because they wanted it more. Stupid, stupid shot selection from NWB, Shayok, Wigginton, THT a couple of times. We get that TO with 22 seconds left and Lindell takes a highly-contested 3 for an airball. No urgency inbounding the ball down the stretch. Shayok goes for a layup with 5 seconds left down 6? Are you kidding me? This is a group of good supporting players without a leader. We step on the floor in Hilton and just assume we are going to win. That will never happen in the B12. The efforts in our three home losses this year have been an absolute embarrassment given the talent we have. It's not just physical effort or hustle, it's more playing stupidly - allowing their best shooters constant wide-open looks, over-pursuit on hedges and help, no one pulling the ball back out and moving it around when we get in a funk, but just dribbling into a trap and taking a dumb long fade-away two (that is always short) with no one in offensive rebounding position. We quit in the K-State loss and in the last two, I think the guys just thought once we got some sort of lead, the other team would fold. Problem is, they were both much mentally tougher than our team was.

At our best, we can be very good - there is no doubt. Agree completely that the game at K-State was fluky because Wade was out down the stretch and THT couldn't miss (not a great shooter). I think the problem is the players seem to think they only have to play this way on the road and it will just "happen" at home, or possibly they just don't really care that much about winning the league - hard to believe that but the lack of focus has now become a trend and isn't just the exception. Baylor, freaking Baylor, just came into Hilton and beat us without their best post player and we just got schooled by a guy who didn't even play at a D-3 school. Where is the sense of urgency? You can't play hard for only 10-15 minutes and win.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
To me the offensive rebounding all came from the teams inability to contain dribble penetration. Playing one big hedging out that far on the pick and roll takes what little size is on the court out of the equation. By the time the big gets back into the paint Baylor has inside position and it’s game over.

An adjustment should have been made.
Our porous on ball defense, specifically against ball screens, has been exposed against KU, TCU and now Baylor. Expect any team who can take advantage of our lack of size, poor rotations and inability to make adjustments to do so the rest of the way.

• Agree
Reactions: azhuth09

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Hilton becomes a showcase for a lot of these guys who view Iowa State as a stepping stone for the next level.

Rarely do we go on the road and hold the ball for 25 seconds and jack up some dumbass shot, period. We seem to do it in any moment we need someone to come up clutch.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
True but after watching this team and the talent they have, that’s an underachievement.

Plus a 5 seed isn’t a guarantee at the moment.
But yet so many bashing on different players all night, and after each loss. So which is it?
I don't think the team is as talented as some make it out to be.

Fact is this team, and the players have some talent, but just aren't that conference championship, top 3 seed type talent.

• Agree
Reactions: 67CY

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
After every loss I just think that we are only 15 months removed from getting taken to the woodshed at home by Milwaukee. Should be happy looking at a 5 seed or so with 5 to play, but man this game sucked.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

MTCyclone43

Feb 22, 2016
I mean, I'm not happy right now, but you do realize we're probably going to be a 5 seed in the tournament, right? Everyone would have taken that before the year.
I would agree with this- except before the season we really did not know how good this team could be. After watching them beat Rock Chalk, KSU, and Ole Miss and dominate a 5 seed is kind of a let down.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Baylor hit clutch shot after clutch shot. Mentally tough. When the moment got big for them...(usually when we'd get a 1 or 2 pt lead) they'd hit a big shot.
Conversely, when the moment got big for us...we wilted like cotton candy in the rain. (Not very mentally tough.) Teams usually follow the toughness of their coach. Credit to Baylor. They played better when the chips were down.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Prohm got out coached in this one. Not calling for him to be fired by any means, but 4-3 at home with this team in conference is downright inexcusable
Prohm is so bad he was able to turn a front running B12 team and sleeper final four talent to complete meh. Doesn't matter what this team does rest of the regular season. And winning the conference tourney will be spit a in the face.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I've pretty much always been a supporter of Prohm, but I'm really finding it hard to do anymore.

I NEVER would have thought he would end up being a great recruiter and not a very good coach.... I thought he'd be the exact opposite when he came here. I figured he would be a great coach, but wouldn't be able to get the talent here.

When we face another smallish team that likes to run and gun and we hit our shots.... then Prohm looks like the greatest coach ever because we are unstoppable. But when we play a bigger team that wants to slow it down and make it a half court x's and o's type game, Prohm gets outcoached time and time again.

Fact of the matter is I could coach this team to a win against a team that wants to run with us because you don't really have to do any coaching, just let them go. It's games like tonight that really show who can coach, and Drew owned Prohm big time. It wasn't even close.

If nobody on the team is even attempting to box out and rebound and you're losing the game because of that.... wouldn't you try someone else like maybe Conditt who is 6'10" and has really long arms? What can it hurt to give him a try? Or when our guys can't hit a 3 to save their life, maybe throw in Lewis and see if he can catch fire?

We lost our chance at the Big 12 title by losing at home to a very average Baylor team. At least I don't have any expectations for this team anymore this season.