• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
This poses the question, "How old is old enough to tell my kid to go to the bathroom by himself at the movies?" My almost 10 year old is old enough, right?

I had this same debate with my wife last fall with our 11 year old daughter. The theater we go to is only a few miles from our house and (I condsider) very safe, however, the restrooms are down a hallway about 10 feet from the doors leading outside. It's a great design to keep people out of the lobby, but it's really scary when you consider how easy it would be to grab a kid and be in a car in less than 10 seconds. The abduction opportunity presented with parents being inaccessible is alarming.

We are ok with her going there during a matinee when the theater is less crowded, but I'm still tentative during an evening showing. I hate to have to think that way, but there are some really horrible people out there.

She's much more alert and responsible than I was at her age and I have no problem with her going to school and being home by herself for a couple hours. However, certain social settings put my fatherly skepticism on alert.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I heard 3 hours 20 minutes. Personally, I don't care if it's 4 hours. Bring it on. That said, I'm not quite sure what kind of material they'd need to cover that could last that long. There has to be some side stories in here, because you'd think that they just need to get everyone together, go find Thanos and fight him. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but I have some concern that things will drag compared to Infinity War, which was about as action packed as any movie I can remember.

Does anyone else have kind of a dreadful feeling about Endgame? I just kind of hate to see the whole thing end. It won't be the same without the original characters...especially RDJ as Iron Man. I'm not as interested in the new characters.

Yes and no. I kinda feel that with each movie the heros have to get more and more powerful. Now they're to the point of leveling cities in every movie. It just seems too much now. Maybe with the reset, they'll get back to the more muted heroes and work their way back up.

I guess this is why I really like the Netflix series a lot. The powers seem as extreme.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I have never written on here about the issue of Marvel, but just watched the Black Panther, and I liked everything about it, everything it stood for. I think I remember vaguely when the comic book came out, that it was somewhat controversial. I noticed there was a thread on it in a movies for 2018, but I thought it was interesting and well done. I have lived in Africa for awhile, and I loved the African accents.

Reactions: HFCS

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Do you have young kids? Because honestly getting Disney+ is as much of a no brainer for me as anything. As soon as it was announced I knew I was getting it.

It's not even the pee thing for me - I've taken my kids to every new Star Wars movie and MCU movie over the last few years. However, if you think a 6 year old can handle a 3+ hour viewing experience without ruining it for everyone else around them, you've got another thing coming.
I totally see the no-brainer aspect of it. I just don’t like Disney contributing to increasing the cost of being a cord-cutter.

Luckily, my one daughter is a high schooler now so the service won’t be a requirement for us. Plus, I’m pretty sure I’ve got nearly the entire Disney princess lineup on DVD anyway. ;)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I have never written on here about the issue of Marvel, but just watched the Black Panther, and I liked everything about it, everything it stood for. I think I remember vaguely when the comic book came out, that it was somewhat controversial. I noticed there was a thread on it in a movies for 2018, but I thought it was interesting and well done. I have lived in Africa for awhile, and I loved the African accents.

I think I posted them earlier in the thread but there are 70s comic covers where Black Panther is literally fighting against the KKK.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't know for sure, but I would wager they will control what's available based on how they don't have their classic princess movies always available to purchase. They always come out with gold/platinum/diamond editions every 10 years or so.

They probably will but I'm not sure if that will win the day.

I subscribe to HBO quite frequently because I get nearly every epic series they've ever done.

If Disney gives me tiny snippets of Star Wars and Marvel I'll probably always pass as opposed to HBO where I subscribe for at least a few months a year.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I call this the Superman problem. Superman is so OP that every storyline revolves around the bad guy getting kryptonite.

This is why Spider-Man is and will likely always be my favorite super hero - he's very tough, he can take a beating, but he's very vulnerable both physically and mentally due to him being a kid. Agree with you, once super heroes become gods it just gets a lot less interesting.

Oh ho ho. Now you are opening a can of worms. But luckily I agree with you.

Superman is just the worst superhero ever. His only weaknesses are kryptonite and Lois Lane. When I was a kid and watched the Christopher Reeve movies, I thought he was pretty cool, but later I realized that if the super hero is "too perfect", it makes for a boring story.

Super Heroes need depth and nuance. Supes just doesn't have that. Not for me.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Oh ho ho. Now you are opening a can of worms. But luckily I agree with you.

Superman is just the worst superhero ever. His only weaknesses are kryptonite and Lois Lane. When I was a kid and watched the Christopher Reeve movies, I thought he was pretty cool, but later I realized that if the super hero is "too perfect", it makes for a boring story.

Super Heroes need depth and nuance. Supes just doesn't have that. Not for me.

On that note. Batman is one of the best heroes because he's just a normal dude, but crazy smart and resourceful. Helps that he's rich too I guess.

That's one of the big problems with DC and their cast of characters. Superman is their biggest star, so they kind of have to build the movies around him. Justice League was pretty awful in this aspect. It was all set up so this group of heroes just had to get Superman back, and then that all went to crap.

Give me Marvel any day.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Lots of news this weekend regarding the future of the MCU:

The Black Widow solo film has hired Ned Benson to rewrite the film. If you read this article from Collider, they make an interesting connection between Benson and Scar-Jo:

http://collider.com/black-widow-script-ned-benson/

Disney+ Series news:

Michael Waldron has been hired to be the showrunner and also write the pilot episode for the new Loki series. Waldron is currently writing for Rick & Morty and has previously been a writer for the series Community (the Russo Brothers also worked on this series). Here is the rumored premise for the Loki series:
“follow Loki as the trickster and shapeshifter pops up throughout human history as unlikely influencer on historical events.”​

Jac Schaeffer is the show runner and writing the pilot episode for the Scarlet Witch & Vision series. Schaeffer co-wrote Captain Marvel.

Malcolm Spellman is the show runner and writing the pilot for Winter Soldier & Falcon series. Spellman is a producer for the show Empire on Fox

https://io9.gizmodo.com/lokis-disney-show-now-has-a-showrunner-and-early-detai-1832659939

• Informative
Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
After posting my full Punisher S2 review above, I figured it was about time to update my MCU rankings to include it.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier – Thought this movie had the best drama and best writing and story line of all the movies. Its action sequences were probably only second to Civil War as well.
  2. Marvel’s The Avengers – Iconic way to pull everything together with the best villain in the MCU. The final battle was so epic and unlike anything we had ever seen up until that point.
  3. Captain America: Civil War - Most fun movie, produced the best action sequences, had some of the best character moments, and showcased the best balancing act of so many characters. Biggest weakness was having a very good, but not amazing story.
  4. Avengers: Infinity War - Amazing put together culmination of all the movies and characters so far. While it suffered at times from that weight, maybe Marvel's best villain help to pull everything together. Very satisfying movie for what it is.
  5. Marvel's Daredevil: Season 3 - Tremendous long-form storytelling with two amazing villains and the perfect crescendo ending. One of the best seasons of television in all of TV.
  6. Iron Man – Epic way to start the Universe with an unbelievable star for a headliner. Never got into the Iron Monger villain though.
  7. Guardians of the Galaxy – Best space epic since the original Star Wars movies. Also was probably the funniest movie of the MCU so far. Had a fairly generic villain though.
  8. Marvel's The Punisher: Season 1 - Most complete Marvel TV series so far with great pacing, great story, superb casting, and amazing acting. Ben Barnes as Billy Russo is now one of my favorite actors and one of the best Marvel villains. Very stand-alone series with not enough crossovers.
  9. Marvel's Daredevil: Season 2 - The introduction of Jon Bernthal's Punisher in Season 2 was what truly made this season great and better than Season 2. Had a few pacing issues, but overall, the series improved all the characters within it from Season 1. Didn't love Elektra stuff.
  10. Spider-Man: Homecoming - Amazing casting on this movie with Tom Holland being the best Spider-Man yet. Also featured one of the greatest villains in the MCU in Michael Keaton, with one of the best scenes and best twists. I've liked this movie more over time.
  11. Marvel's Agents of Shield: Season 5 - Overall good season wrapped up by spectacular ending, which tied together all the character arcs as good as any series out there. Sticking the landing is what ranks this season so high.
  12. Marvel’s Daredevil: Season 1 – Loved the street-level and darker tone of this show. Also contains probably the second best villain in the MCU. Being on Netflix is a great way to remove all the normal problems of making a TV show for network viewing.
  13. Ant-Man - Had super-low expectations, but walked away pleasantly surprised. Yet another weak villain, but contained some great comedy with some great actors. Paul Rudd won me over as a fan.
  14. Captain America: The First Avenger – Epic first-half of the movie with Cap’s origin story, but believe it or not, I found Red Skull a little underdeveloped. Loved the WWII time period aspect of this one.
  15. Black Panther - Very good movie with great characters, superb character development, a good story arc, and a top 3 Marvel villain. However, its biggest downfall is some very poor action and CGI work.
  16. Marvel's Agents of Shield: Season 4 - Awesome season with a very good two-part story line. Ghost Rider was amazingly movie quality all around (casting, acting, visuals, story) and fit perfectly into the story, as well as tying the series to the Doctor Strange multi-verse/mystical/inter-dimensional world. Tons of fun with a lot of great emotion.
  17. Marvel's Luke Cage: Season 2 - Awesome season with lots of emotional depth, great story-telling, superb multi-dimensional villains and improved action. It also greatly improved upon many so-so characters from S1.
  18. Thor: Ragnarok - While I still find this movie to be a bit too much of a Taika Waititi film and not enough an MCU film, I've grown to like this movie more over time. Yes, it does go too heavy on the comedy, but I appreciate Marvel taking a chance with something new. Great visuals.
  19. Ant-Man and the Wasp - Fun, hilarious smaller-stakes movie that is truly enjoyable to watch. However, the villains are forgettable and I found myself wishing for more emotional depth. Not quite as good as the first one.
  20. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Huge on the laughs, fun and heart, but a little mediocre on the story and substance. Also, went a little overboard at times where things got a bit campy. Characters were more fun than story.
  21. Marvel's Jessica Jones: Season 1- Series filled with great actors, great drama, and one of the best villains in the MCU (Kilgrave). Series suffered most from having 3-4 too many episodes, poor pacing, and not enough ties to the overall MCU.
  22. Iron Man 2 – Many will mock me, but I really enjoyed this movie and actually enjoyed it more than Iron Man 3. Make fun of me all you want, but I thought Whiplash was alright. I think this movie gets unfairly criticized.
  23. Doctor Strange - This was a Marvel formulaic origin story with some ground-breaking visual effects, a mediocre villain, an innovative ending, and some great characters. However, its biggest problem was probably how they introduced magic and the limiting weird rules around it.
  24. Avengers: Age of Ultron – Fun movie, but suffered from too much CGI action, too many characters, and too many storylines.
  25. Iron Man 3 – Just never really got into this one, and it probably had something to do with the big Mandarin villain twist. Also never really liked Killian either. Again, I surprisingly like Iron Man 2 better
  26. Thor– Don’t know what it is, but I just never got into this storyline or villains as much as the others. However, it is growing on me over time and I now like this more than Thor: The Dark World
  27. Marvel's Luke Cage: Season 1 - Loved the music angle, Cottonmouth was great, loved the first 4 episodes. However, after the big twist, the second half of the season really went downhill.
  28. Thor: The Dark World – Criticize me if you will, but I actually liked this movie more than probably most, but after re-watching it recently, it did fall some in my rankings. I now have the origin Thor above it.
  29. Marvel's Runaways: Season 2 - Much improved from S1 with more action, more suspense, better budget, and better writing. Still suffers from some weak-link child actors.
  30. Marvel’s Agents of Shield: Season 2 – Liked the less cheese and more serious tone than the first season. Also, loved the Inhuman’s storyline. Used to hate Skye, but now don’t mind her.
  31. Marvel’s Agent Carter – Loved the period timepiece aspect of this. Great show with good movie tie-ins.
  32. The Incredible Hulk – Good movie, but not great. Never liked Norton for the role or the look they gave Hulk, so I was glad when the switch was made and they remade the Hulk's appearance.
  33. Marvel's Iron Fist: Season 2 - Good. Much better story, acting, villains and fighting than S1, but still suffers greatly from Finn Jones being miscast as Iron Fist
  34. Marvel's Jessica Jones: Season 2 - Had some great character moments that draw you in as well as some decent pacing, but overall struggles mightily from being a really slow burn. It also really lacks action and doesn't have another villain on par with Kilgrave.
  35. Marvel's Cloak and Dagger: Season 1 - Slower at times, but also very good at times. Overall, this was a good season that just didn't stick the landing. Loved how they developed Cloak and Daggers powers.
  36. The Punisher: Season 2 - Amazing amped-up action sequences throughout (some of the best in the MCU), but weighed down by poor writing and dialogue of certain characters.
  37. Marvel's Runways: Season 1 - Had a good tone as well as some good character work throughout. However, the series lacked action, didn't have great action for what it had, and didn't really stick the landing.
  38. Marvel’s Agents of Shield: Season 1 – Struggled hardcore in the first half-dozen episodes, but then finally picked up when Winter Soldier story line set in and the cheese started to fade. Overall, ended up really enjoying this.
  39. Marvel's Agents of Shield: Season 3 - Was VERY up and down throughout. There was times I really liked what they were doing, whereas other times I didn't. Overall, the series got a little tired, too many forced fistfights, and still too high on the cheese factor.
  40. Marvel's The Defenders: Season 1: Started out alright including a great hallway fight scene, but then everything fell apart from there, mostly dragged down by Iron Fist being Iron Fist, poor storytelling, and really poor dialogue.
  41. Marvel's Agent Carter: Season 2 - Great actors and characters combined with a poor stand-alone story, which lacked substance and true stakes to the MCU
  42. Marvel's Iron Fist: Season 1 - A combination of terrible casting/acting from Danny Rand, boring story, poor fight sequences, and too low a budget resulted in Marvel's first major dud for a TV show. Back half of season was slightly better than front half.
  43. Marvel's Inhumans - Garbage TV show all around. Bad acting, costumes, sets, directing, characterizations, special effects, and storytelling. This TV show was intentionally made fast and cheap as a money-grab and it shows.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Samuel L. Jackson already ranks #1 among all actors when it comes to U.S. Box Office totals. According to this article his films have made $5.753 billion, and this was of last September. Now add:

Glass
Captain Marvel
Avenger's Endgame
Spider-Man: Far From Home

#2 on this list is Harrison Ford @ $4.963 billion.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...sher-were-canceled-1187789?utm_source=twitter

Here is a great summary article of why Netflix really cancelled all the Marvel Netflix shows. All of this just makes too much sense to not be the real reason why everything happened the way it did. Lets face it, the streaming landscape is changing and as Disney is stepping up to be a power hitter in the genre, a lot of others aren't going to like it and are going to have to shift their own landscape to compete with Disney as best they can.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
After posting my review of Punisher: Season 2, I figured I'd go ahead and throw out my usual updated rankings of Superhero TV content for anyone interested. As you can see, The Punisher S2 didn't exactly live up to S1, even though it did upped the ante on bigger and better action sequences. It would have been nice if they would have put that same effort into the writing of the season.

1. Daredevil (Season 3)
  2. The Punisher (Season 1)
  3. The Flash (Season 1)
  4. Daredevil (Season 2)
  5. Agents of Shield (Season 5)
  6. Daredevil (Season 1)
  7. Agents of Shield (Season 4)
  8. Arrow (Season 2)
  9. Luke Cage (Season 2)
  10. Arrow (Season 1)
  11. Arrow (Season 5)
  12. The Flash (Season 2)
  13. Jessica Jones (Season 1)
  14. The Gifted (Season 1)
  15. Supergirl (Season 1)
  16. Luke Cage (Season 1)
  17. Runaways (Season 2)
  18. Supergirl (Season 2)
  19. Agents of Shield (Season 2)
  20. Agent Carter (Season 1)
  21. The Tick (Season 1)
  22. Iron Fist (Season 2)
  23. Legion (Season 1)
  24. Jessica Jones (Season 2)
  25. Krypton (Season 1)
  26. Powerless (Season 1)
  27. Cloak and Dagger (Season 1)
  28. The Punisher (Season 2)
  29. Runaways (Season 1)
  30. Gotham (Season 1)
  31. The Flash (Season 3)
  32. Agents of Shield (Season 1)
  33. Agents of Shield (Season 3)
  34. The Defenders (Season 1)
  35. Agent Carter (Season 2)
  36. Legion (Season 2)
  37. Gotham (Season 2)
  38. Iron Fist (Season 1)
  39. Constantine (Season 1)
  40. Arrow (Season 3)
  41. Arrow (Season 4)
  42. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 1)
  43. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 2)
  44. Inhumans (Season 1)

Next up, I've only got a few episodes left of The Gifted (Season 2), so you can look for my review and this same list updated on the Fox Marvel Thread once I get finished very soon.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
People are sleeping on animated Enter the Spider-verse movie as well. Trust me.

I’ll be shocked if it’s not Oscar nominated for best animated. Think more in line with Incredibles (but with more groundbreaking visuals) than Pantasm.

You guys have to listen to me next time I hint at some insider info :)