***Official Montgomery and Butler NFL Thread***

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Here's the entire list of who got invited to the Combine:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Butler is gonna skyrocket up draft boards after the combine. I bet he'll run something near a 4.4 and NFL teams will start to salivate over the speed/size combo.

Agreed. I think he's going to run around a 4.45 and garner another look from a lot of scouts and GMs.

• Winner
Reactions: CloneBuilder

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Butler is gonna skyrocket up draft boards after the combine. I bet he'll run something near a 4.4 and NFL teams will start to salivate over the speed/size combo.

There was not a wide receiver in college football who was harder to tackle with the ball. I mean in that one area he was far and away the best I've seen in a while. Some would probably think the big plays were from his height (and it did help) but quite a lot of them were after he caught the ball the first and second or even third guy could not tackle him.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
There was not a wide receiver in college football who was harder to tackle with the ball. I mean in that one area he was far and away the best I've seen in a while. Some would probably think the big plays were from his height (and it did help) but quite a lot of them were after he caught the ball the first and second or even third guy could not tackle him.

Good point. Deceptively strong and really good balance for his height. There were a bunch of "get off me" plays in his college career.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
NFL Network Draft Analyst and also former scout:

What most of these "Analyst" forget to take into consideration is that David put up these numbers for two years with average O-line play in a Power 5 conference.

On his draft provide they padded his weaknesses and came up with ways to say the same thing.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/david-montgomery?id=32462019-0002-5625-027a-fa80044f0df9

• Low number of explosive carries during his career
  • Lacks pure speed to outrun NFL linebackers to the corner
  • Makes a tackler miss, but doesn't have juice to get away from the next one
  • Below-average burst to open space
Yet, for Josh Jacobs for Alabama
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/josh-jacobs?id=32462019-0002-5623-77c1-c771f437a5a6

• Low percentage of explosive carries
  • Might not have enough speed to hit the home run

It's easy for running backs to look good, and have good stats, when you run behind an Alabama O-line.

Devin Singletary (FAU) is tiny 5'9" 200 pounds. I'd hold off and see what is official height and weight are at the NFL combine. That's small for an NFL RB. Not a single running back of that size was drafted in 2018. There are some NFL RB's with his stature holding their own, but that's more of the exception.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3042519/aaron-jones
http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3052117/phillip-lindsay
http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/14885/doug-martin

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: khardbored

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Writer is Dane Brugler, has David as the #4 ranked RB:

4. David Montgomery, Iowa State (5-10, 222, 4.58)
Cincinnati, Ohio (Mount Healthy), Junior, 6/7/1997 (age on draft day: 21.90)
Strengths: Elusive runner due to his balance, low-center and run toughness … good-sized athlete and rarely goes down at first contact … flashes strong leg drive and powers
through arm tackles when he wants to … patient at the line of scrimmage with strong cuts to keep defenders off balance in the hole … vision to find the cutback lane … easy to appreciate his toughness and fight … reliable ball skills with focus to stab away
from his body … steady base and awareness in pass protection to face up and keep rushers occupied … only three career fumbles on 695 touches … named a 2018
team captain, and his coaches call him a “culture changer” due to his work ethic, effort and character.

Weaknesses: Lacks instant acceleration to speed away from pursuit … wasn’t a big-play creator in college (2018: zero rushes of 40-plus yards and only two rushes of 30-plus yards) … too much east-west and guilty of making too many moves … late to read and anticipate developing lanes … bad habit of bracing for contact in the hole instead of lowering his pads … not a hammer and doesn’t always fall forward … always carries the ball in his left hand … awareness as a route-runner must improve.
Summary: A three-year starter at Iowa State, Montgomery was an every-down back in the Cyclones’ shotgun, zone-read offense, often flanked to the left/right of the quarterback. He benefited from inferior tackling in the Big 12........,

Thought this guy might have actually watched a few Iowa State games until I read the last line.

Help Support Us

Become a patron