Rumor: Matt Rhule to the NY Jets

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Houston will look a lot better to them, what with getting Holgo at HC.

So much more professional. I still want to know what was going on behind closed doors at WVU that Holgerson jumped ship. It can't just be that Houston offered a ton of cash, can it?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
So much more professional. I still want to know what was going on behind closed doors at WVU that Holgerson jumped ship. It can't just be that Houston offered a ton of cash, can it?

Yeah, it is weird. I guess from what I understand a divorce had been imminent for a while now, so maybe he was just beating them to the punch and taking whatever job paid the best. It's just odd that he would move to a team in a G5 conference where there is virtually no chance of him ever getting to the playoff no matter what he does (unless he can get a team to run the table AND the CFP expands to eight teams). I don't know. Sometimes it's just about the money and that's that.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
If Rhule really wants to move to the NFL, he needs to be careful he doesn't miss his window.
Right now the trend is to obviously look toward college coaches. These things always seem to be cyclical though.
If we see college guys (like Kliff) struggle, other college names could lose their appeal.
I think we saw this with guys like Saban, Spurrier and Pete Carroll (obviously he's been successful). Everyone wanted the big college names in the 2000's. That's seemed to have dried up until the last couple of years.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
If Rhule really wants to move to the NFL, he needs to be careful he doesn't miss his window.
Right now the trend is to obviously look toward college coaches. These things always seem to be cyclical though.
If we see college guys (like Kliff) struggle, other college names could lose their appeal.
I think we saw this with guys like Saban, Spurrier and Pete Carroll (obviously he's been successful). Everyone wanted the big college names in the 2000's. That's seemed to have dried up until the last couple of years.
You're right and Rhule knows the clock is ticking. And BU knows it too. But they probably don't really care right now. Rhule is winning and if/when an NFL team hires him they'll get their buyout money and find somebody else. Weird for BU fans...but **** them...

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
You're right and Rhule knows the clock is ticking. And BU knows it too. But they probably don't really care right now. Rhule is winning and if/when an NFL team hires him they'll get their buyout money and find somebody else. Weird for BU fans...but **** them...
It sounds like the Jets are hiring Adam Gase

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
It sounds like the Jets are hiring Adam Gase
Right, what I mean is that Rhule obviously has a wandering eye toward the NFL and whereas typical P5 programs (and their fans) would have a problem with that; BU is probably happy to be not terrible and comforted by the fact that if an NFL team picks Rhule up they get their buyout and can just move on (no scandal or terrible record involved).

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Right, what I mean is that Rhule obviously has a wandering eye toward the NFL and whereas typical P5 programs (and their fans) would have a problem with that; BU is probably happy to be not terrible and comforted by the fact that if an NFL team picks Rhule up they get their buyout and can just move on (no scandal or terrible record involved).

Right, but they only keep winning as long as Rhule can keep recruiting well. And recruits are eventually going to stop coming when they realize that he clearly has one foot out the door.

Now that it's very obvious that he wants to make the jump to the NFL then he'd better do it next year before the recruiting dries up.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Right, but they only keep winning as long as Rhule can keep recruiting well. And recruits are eventually going to stop coming when they realize that he clearly has one foot out the door.

Now that it's very obvious that he wants to make the jump to the NFL then he'd better do it next year before the recruiting dries up.

I agree with you...BUT I don't see BU firing him unless some big money donors cover the buyout. But clearly Rhule has no interest in BU apart from as a stepping stone. I think this Jets thing is really going to bite Rhule if he wants another P5 HC job after BU. I figure if not an NFL head coach next year he'll be an NFL assistant.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines

When you're the worlds biggest douche, school admin tends to not respond to that too well.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron