Official Bowl Watch thread

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
I'm gonna blow a fuse if someone jumps Oklahoma next week after beating a top 10-15 Texas team and having 2 top-15 wins in the last two weeks. They have a "13th data point" now and have only 1 loss on their schedule a million days ago.

They deserve to be ranked 4th and anyone who says otherwise has big 12 hating blinders on

Not to mention the team OU lost to a million days ago was not a bad loss and OU would have avenged that loss against the same top 10ish team in the CCG. It is ridiculous that anyone thinks that Ohio State would jump OU. They lost to Purdue by 20+, and it wasn’t like it was week one; It was well into conference play. Why would they be in? Because they beat an overrated Michigan team that has the best defensive stats in the country playing big 10 offenses? Also, don’t forget Ohio State gave up 50some points to Maryland...LAST WEEK!!! ESPN’s weird fetish for the SEC and Big 10 has turned into hate for the Big 12 for some reason. Even if they put Ohio State over OU this week (which they shouldn’t) OU would have to leap frog them again next week since a win over top 10ish Texas is leaps and bounds better than a win against top 20 Northwestern

• Winner
Reactions: Stormin

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
My gripe is that the espn guys are saying how Ohio State deserves to be in over Oklahoma because Oklahoma has a bad defense. All year I heard all the media bash Ohio States defense too. Who cares if OU has a bad defense. Their resume overall is better.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
In the 2015 season, Oklahoma made it to the CFP but the Sugar Bowl selected #16 Oklahoma State with the Big 12 tie in. I keep seeing Bowl Projections where OU is in the CDF but Texas not in the Sugar Bowl!
That was before the return of the CCG, things are a bit different now that there is a CCG. No one really knows how it will shake out.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
I think we'd get the Alamo over them for sure. I understand the ratings with Grier and why they think that way though

I think ISU would be a better geographic fit for the Alamo Bowl and WVU a better fit for the Camping World Bowl. Hopefully, the Alamo people remember when Cyclone fans swarmed San Antonio for the NCAA March Madness 1st and 2nd round games in 2015 ( Niang’s soph year).

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
In the 2015 season, Oklahoma made it to the CFP but the Sugar Bowl selected #16 Oklahoma State with the Big 12 tie in. I keep seeing Bowl Projections where OU is in the CDF but Texas not in the Sugar Bowl!

Those projections are wrong then. Sugar Bowl has to select a Big 12 team no matter what. The only way ISU ends up in Houston is if OU wins the Big 12, but gets jumped by OSU, forcing OU into the Sugar Bowl, and Texas doesn't get an at-large NY6 bowl (which is exactly what would happen). Texas would then go to the Alamo Bowl, and CWB in Orlando would choose between WV and ISU. That's how ISU to Houston comes into play.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1 and Messi

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
And if Texas wins, they also go to the Sugar Bowl, and OU is certain to get an at-large NY6 bowl. I think the only scenario where the Big 12 doesn't have two NY6/CFP teams is if OU wins in unimpressive fashion and misses the CFP. I'm tempted to want Texas to win that game to guarantee two NY6 teams.

I think the dream scenario is for OU to win a closely contested game and make the CFP while Texas goes to the Sugar Bowl. That would likely put ISU in the Alamo and WVU in the Camping World. In This scenario, the top 4 teams in the conference play ranked, Power 5 opponents in high profile, high payout Bowl games.

But will the CFP really take OU over OSU?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think the dream scenario is for OU to win a closely contested game and make the CFP while Texas goes to the Sugar Bowl. That would likely put ISU in the Alamo and WVU in the Camping World. In This scenario, the top 4 teams in the conference play ranked, Power 5 opponents in high profile, high payout Bowl games.

But will the CFP really take OU over OSU?

Nope. Dream scenario is for OU to thoroughly trash Texas, Alabama to beat Georgia, and Northwestern to beat OSU. This would 100% lock OU into the playoffs. Even in this scenario the Sugar Bowl will still have to select a Big 12 team, and that team will still be Texas.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Hotel room booked in all three possible locations; each can be cancelled with no fee.

Reactions: aauummm

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
Those projections are wrong then. Sugar Bowl has to select a Big 12 team no matter what. The only way ISU ends up in Houston is if OU wins the Big 12, but gets jumped by OSU, forcing OU into the Sugar Bowl, and Texas doesn't get an at-large NY6 bowl (which is exactly what would happen). Texas would then go to the Alamo Bowl, and CWB in Orlando would choose between WV and ISU. That's how ISU to Houston comes into play.

While I’d prefer the Alamo Bowl, the Texas Bowl is intriguing as well: would play ranked a SEC team (probably A&M, LSU or Kentucky) in a decent city for a good payout ($6.3M).

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
My gripe is that the espn guys are saying how Ohio State deserves to be in over Oklahoma because Oklahoma has a bad defense. All year I heard all the media bash Ohio States defense too. Who cares if OU has a bad defense. Their resume overall is better.

Bad defense? They should Check out OSU’s defensive meltdowns vs Purdue and Maryland.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Ohio State is probably going to thoroughly trash Northwestern. They will be laser focused, knowing they run up the score something ridiculous and they’ll be in the playoff over OU. Similar to Texas, they have been a team this season that can turn it on and off, and Playoff Committee loves them some cheap “style points”. OU will need to drub Texas to get in, especially if Georgia beats Alabama.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
The Camping Bowl rep stopped by our tailgate early yesterday and was asking where all the people were. He didn't sound too impressed. I saw a prediction that had WVU vs Pitt in Orlando which I think would be hard for them to pass up.
I am curious if they had a rep at OU-WVU? Lots of empty seats at that game too and that had much greater implications.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Ohio State is probably going to thoroughly trash Northwestern. They will be laser focused, knowing they run up the score something ridiculous and they’ll be in the playoff over OU. Similar to Texas, they have been a team this season that can turn it on and off, and Playoff Committee loves them some cheap “style points”. OU will need to drub Texas to get in, especially if Georgia beats Alabama.

If Georgia beats Alabama neither OU nor OSU are getting in - it'll be 1. Clemson 2. ND 3. Georgia 4. Alabama. That being said, I think Northwestern has a significantly greater chance of upsetting OSU than Georgia does Alabama.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
For the record, at the moment, ESPN's bowl projections are extremely favorable. It has OU in the playoff and Texas in the Sugar Bowl. One of the projections has us in the CWB in Orlando against Syracuse; the other has us in the Alamo Bowl against Utah (which is really weird because the other pick is WV vs WSU).

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25375570/college-football-bowl-projections-week-13

I kind of see it breaking down into 3 paths based on who wins next week and the playoff selection.

OU wins:
1. They make the playoff, Texas goes to sugar and ISU\WVU to Alamo\CWB
2. They don't make the playoff and it goes OU in the sugar, Texas in Alamo, WVU in CWB, and us in Houston

Texas wins:
3. Texas goes to Sugar. OU goes to an at-large NY6 bowl. ISU\WVU to Alamo\CWB

I tend to think Alamo will pick us over WVU just due to travel and fan support, but Holgerson\Leach is a compelling matchup as well. But for the same reasons, if the ISU\WVU decision goes first to the CWB, i could see them picking WVU.