California proposing amendment to limit coach salaries

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Thought this was interesting...

I love college sports. Go to many at ISU, and will watch almost any FB or BB game on TV. I think college athletics are great and good for the schools.
That said, I think the money and salaries are way out of wack. Before I get criticized, I realize it is free market, people will pay for the product, and in some cases the high coaches salaries provide a solid ROI. OK, l get it.
But to me it speaks poorly of our societal values. When coaches outearn brilliant scientists, educators, cutting edge medical researchers, you name it - people who really make difference in people’s lives and society in general - by a factor of 10-20, it seems incorrect to me.
Also, the big money always favors the haves over the have nots. One reason the top teams change very little over the decades.
This California proposal makes little sense to me as written. I know no solution, and will continue to enjoy the Cyclones, but it just seems wrong to me.
BTW - it appears to me that whatever CMC gets, it looks like a good investment. So, why in the back of our minds are we always nervous - because some of the “haves” are always lurking, and they have the $.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I love college sports. Go to many at ISU, and will watch almost any FB or BB game on TV. I think college athletics are great and good for the schools.
That said, I think the money and salaries are way out of wack. Before I get criticized, I realize it is free market, people will pay for the product, and in some cases the high coaches salaries provide a solid ROI. OK, l get it.
But to me it speaks poorly of our societal values. When coaches outearn brilliant scientists, educators, cutting edge medical researchers, you name it - people who really make difference in people’s lives and society in general - by a factor of 10-20, it seems incorrect to me.
Also, the big money always favors the haves over the have nots. One reason the top teams change very little over the decades.
This California proposal makes little sense to me as written. I know no solution, and will continue to enjoy the Cyclones, but it just seems wrong to me.
BTW - it appears to me that whatever CMC gets, it looks like a good investment. So, why in the back of our minds are we always nervous - because some of the “haves” are always lurking, and they have the $.

I agree with a lot of this.

I'd add that college sports really have very little to do with a "free market". There is a market for coaches but it's within an incredibly regulated non-profit structure. The supply and demand for coaching talent is a real market, the structure by which these schools aquire the funds to pay coaches has almost nothing to do with a free market.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I agree with a lot of this.

I'd add that college sports really have very little to do with a "free market". There is a market for coaches but it's within an incredibly regulated non-profit structure. The supply and demand for coaching talent is a real market, the structure by which these schools aquire the funds to pay coaches has almost nothing to do with a free market.
I agree, but, I think ”non profit” is a joke. The more you take in, the more you spend on things and coaches. Expenses expand to meet income to make sure there is no profit. If you do make a “profit” then you do donate it to the university. I think ISU did that this year, and that is great. Texas I think does it everyear, even though they spend on ton on coaches and things. Their facilities are unbelievable.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

The same could be said about musicians and Hollywood actors. What usually gets left out of these conversations is the economic value a good coach brings to a university. They provide a ton of PR as well as attract students along with students' dollars...the same exact dollars that pay those brilliant scientists and educators. In addition, in the case of ISU, all of those donations which people pay to get preferential seating go right into the coffers of the ISU Foundation. I've personally wrote many checks to them for which I otherwise would have not. The benefits to the athletic department are secondary to those of the university.

Universities don't run on hopes and dreams, they run on money.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Didn't some jackwagon propose this in Iowa a couple decades ago? And then someone pointed out to him that coaches weren't paid with any taxpayer funds.

Rather

Jul 21, 2014
The same could be said about musicians and Hollywood actors. What usually gets left out of these conversations is the economic value a good coach brings to a university. They provide a ton of PR as well as attract students along with students' dollars...the same exact dollars that pay those brilliant scientists and educators. In addition, in the case of ISU, all of those donations which people pay to get preferential seating go right into the coffers of the ISU Foundation. I've personally wrote many checks to them for which I otherwise would have not. The benefits to the athletic department are secondary to those of the university.

While this is a good point, I have a hard time reconciling that coaching is a free market and there’s a hard cap on student-athlete compensation. Given, there are good individual arguments for why student-athletes shouldn’t be paid according to the free market. But when they coincide with a completely unregulated coaching salary market, what we get is artificially inflated coaching salaries. I don’t like the fact the ADs and coaches who have the most say in student athlete compensation rules are profiting by upholding the amateur model.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Acylum and Mr Janny

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I would like to see actual data showing there is significant economic value in a good coach to a university as a whole, separate from value funnels to the athletics dept. In CA, for example, the UC system already is awash in student applications ... so much so there's little need for athletics as a recruiting tool. As a fundraising mechanism, I would have to be convinced that athletics result in significant giving beyond $$ earmarked for those programs.

Please send the proof if you have it.

... What usually gets left out of these conversations is the economic value a good coach brings to a university. They provide a ton of PR as well as attract students along with students' dollars...the same exact dollars that pay those brilliant scientists and educators. In addition, in the case of ISU, all of those donations which people pay to get preferential seating go right into the coffers of the ISU Foundation. I've personally wrote many checks to them for which I otherwise would have not. The benefits to the athletic department are secondary to those of the university. ...

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

I actually agreed with your point in my post. I think hiring CMC has a positive ROI for ISU. That is really not my issue. I just think that Nic Sabin probably makes 10X the money than the nations top cancer researcher makes. Does not seem “right” to me. Just my opinion though.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I actually agreed with your point in my post. I think hiring CMC has a positive ROI for ISU. That is really not my issue. I just think that Nic Sabin probably makes 10X the money than the nations top cancer researcher makes. Does not seem “right” to me. Just my opinion though.

In an economic sense, comparing the two positions is really immaterial, unless there is significant crossover where brilliant scientists are being pulled out of the profession by the lure of coaching. The only thing that matters is whether the going rate for those positions is drawing talent at a pace that meets our demand.

• Creative
  • Winner
Reactions: dcorbatt and CTTB78

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
In an economic sense, comparing the two positions is really immaterial, unless there is significant crossover where brilliant scientists are being pulled out of the profession by the lure of coaching. The only thing that matters is whether the going rate for those positions is drawing talent at a pace that meets our demand.
One last try, I guess I am not expressing myself adequately. You are back to free market etc, a point I initially conceded. I am simply saying, that in my opinion, it speaks poorly of our societies values. You are correct, our society values football coaches more than cancer researchers. Seems fundamentally wrong to me.

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017
So does lebron James.

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
Cali has publicly paid lifeguards that make $150k. Ya just can't make this stuff up.
The lefties are entertaining tho.

• Dislike
Reactions: Cyclad

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Cali has publicly paid lifeguards that make $150k. Ya just can't make this stuff up.
The lefties are entertaining tho.
Is there a link for that? That sounds crazy. I would like to read more into that if its true.

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
Is there a link for that? That sounds crazy. I would like to read more into that if its true.

450x253

Psykedelic61 / Flickr Creative Commons
County: Los Angeles Regular pay: $85,745 Overtime: $12,654 Other pay: $11,378 TOTAL WAGES: $109,777 Total benefits: $43,526 Total compensation: $153,303

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
450x253

Psykedelic61 / Flickr Creative Commons
County: Los Angeles Regular pay: $85,745 Overtime: $12,654 Other pay: $11,378 TOTAL WAGES: $109,777 Total benefits: $43,526 Total compensation: $153,303
Now that we see the breakout that is a different story. My "total compensation" is about half again what I actually make when you add in insurance, vacation and sick pay, long term disability etc. That is not generally what is meant by "making X amount" though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron