***Iowa Dual @ Hilton on Sunday, Feb 18th***

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
What type of treat were they cheated out of? Doubling the takedown total for ISU in the dual?
I was looking forward to watching Colbray wrestle before the meet and still wanted to see him go even though it didn't matter at that point. Shouldn't you be more focused on your own forum right now Jon? You post here an awful lot for somebody who runs their own site.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I was looking forward to watching Colbray wrestle before the meet and still wanted to see him go even though it didn't matter at that point. Shouldn't you be more focused on your own forum right now Jon? You post here an awful lot for somebody who runs their own site.

Or starts on "Official Iowa Hawkeyes baseball" thread, that has literally turned to crap, if you know what I mean. Lots of excellent posts on about crap on it!! Just wish the mods would ban him as everyone knows he is a troll on here.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
The measuring stick is now set. We are at probably the lowest point in ISU history. Even lower than under Jackson, but thats only because he is no longer year. We were doomed to go lower. The new staff is breaking these guys down to make them better, so this year had to happen. Also the reason for the defections. Wrestlers have to buy in to reach their maximum potential. The true measure of growth begins next year, but it will be baby steps. Unlike Iowa with Zalesky, it took us longer to realize it was not going to get better under Jackson. I'm as guilty as anyone.
I do not see the logic of your post. First, we did not win a single dual last year; we have done better this year. Second, we have a chance of moving ahead - in other words, we have a future. With KJ, most people felt there was not future. What we saw is what we had.

VirginSturgeon

Sep 13, 2017
I just don't know why we give the Hawkeye fans the time of day on this board. I would just ignore them, not like their aren't Cyclone trolls on their message boards. Just drags the thread into the dirt. 2 weeks off for the wrestlers is a blessing I believe. Go Clones!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Or starts on "Official Iowa Hawkeyes baseball" thread, that has literally turned to crap, if you know what I mean. Lots of excellent posts on about crap on it!! Just wish the mods would ban him as everyone knows he is a troll on here.

CW doesn't want to turn down the click revenue;). Yeah Buddy is what he is and most know it before interacting with him, just a black and gold Tuco ( well Tuco at least posts smarter some of the time)

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
The original version of the schedule had ISU/Iowa on Dec. 9 and ISU/Wyoming in February. Then the B1G scheduled Iowa/Rutgers for Dec. 8 in Piscataway, so the Iowa and Wyoming duals got flipped to accommodate.
It could actually be kind of cool to continue it the day after the HS championships, once ISU gets competitive again.

Reactions: VirginSturgeon

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It could actually be kind of cool to continue it the day after the HS championships, once ISU gets competitive again.

I think it would help the turnout for the years the dual is in Ames. Fairly easy for folks on their way home from state wrestling to pop up to Ames.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Can anyone confirm Wilcke was actually there besides me? I know I saw him there even though I know Brands said he was back home "sick"

I had this discussion with my Hawkeye family. They showed me it was never stated he was back home but he didn't weigh in.

They are also hell bent on making it sound like KD was trashing Briggs. Everyone appreciates Briggs. Get a life, Iowa fans.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
The Parker match yesterday as a data point that gets a slight asterisk. After a great debut weekend at 141 in Oklahoma he misses 2 weeks with what we find out required scope surgery. He essentially had 1 week of training in the last 20 days leading up to the Iowa dual. I think with 10-11 days of solid training he makes a solid effort at Big 12's.

As for next year, with a solid off season I would say Mackall, Gomez, Parker, Degan, Straw, Coleman, Colbray, and Harrington are all qualifiers and point scorers at NCAAs.

I'm with you on most but it is an optimistic view. I don't see anything in Mackall's pedigree that backs that up. He's been getting beaten handily in college by some pretty average wrestlers. He's a step up from Allison and probably the best guy we have but he will have to make some huge improvements to reach the level you describe.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I had this discussion with my Hawkeye family. They showed me it was never stated he was back home but he didn't weigh in.

They are also hell bent on making it sound like KD was trashing Briggs. Everyone appreciates Briggs. Get a life, Iowa fans.

wrestlingphish

Aug 10, 2017
Iowa fan here. Didn't see Wilcke out on the mat with the team but did see Jacob Warner rolling around with Stoll for warm-ups. Maybe that is who you think you saw?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Iowa fan here. Didn't see Wilcke out on the mat with the team but did see Jacob Warner rolling around with Stoll for warm-ups. Maybe that is who you think you saw?

I thought I saw him and then I talked to a Hawkeye buddy of mine who said he talked to him after the meet and there were some people takings pics with him

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I'm with you on most but it is an optimistic view. I don't see anything in Mackall's pedigree that backs that up. He's been getting beaten handily in college by some pretty average wrestlers. He's a step up from Allison and probably the best guy we have but he will have to make some huge improvements to reach the level you describe.

I do think most of Mackall matches at Rutgers were at 133. I could be wrong on that though

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I believe the phrase “grabbed a guy from the 7-11” is equivalent to saying “grabbed a guy from off the street “.

Which is essentially what Sinjin is. He literally came from off the street (campus) and offered to be the 125 lb-er. He has no D1 pedigree, wasn’t recruited, no scholarship. Just a regular student who walked into the wrestling room and joined the team.

Dresser is saying that if ISU could put a sacrificial lamb out on the mat at 125, why couldn’t Iowa put their backup out on the mat at 197. Spencer Lee gets an easy W for Iowa at 125. Sam Colbray gets cheated out of a match and a likely win at 197.

How anyone can interpret this as a slight against Sinjin is laughable.
Gonzo can find a way

pancake

Nov 19, 2017
Yeah, it could be a little optimistic. Some of that optimism is from the staff and some of the good moments we have had, and some of the specific optimism with Mackall comes some of his high school wins, e.g. Yianni, and some others I have watched. I think he kind of got lost in the shuffle at Rutgers and can find some new life here in Ames. I think this will be a good staff for Mackall.

To be honest, I am sort of sick of hearing it is all talent based. Other than the top 2-3 teams, today's college wrestling has great parity. So called "can't miss" 4 timers in HS don't always pan out, and guys like Gabe Dean were one timers in HS that flourished in the right environment. We can win soon with what we have and what we are adding and the culture we are building. We just need to have a strong sense of urgency this off season in culture building and some wrestler-specific technique building in certain weak areas. I look for us to have a pretty modest post season, but a really good freestyle/off season, and carry that momentum to next season! I see us being a Top 20 team next year, Top 15 in 2 years, and Top 10 in 3-4 years.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

I tried that but they rejected it since the quote didn't come from Brands. Haha. No matter though--if they only had a guy who could go in an emergency so be it.

I do think most of Mackall matches at Rutgers were at 133. I could be wrong on that though

They were. But I don't think one goes from getting beat soundly by average wrestlers at 133 to scoring points at the NCAAs at 125. That said he has about 10 months to improve and I'm glad we have him.

Help Support Us

Become a patron