***Iowa Dual @ Hilton on Sunday, Feb 18th***

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Yep I forgot about Mackall. At the moment, I still don't see many points at nationals, but it all depends on how the guys buy in during the off season really.

I agree. I think we will be a better dual team next year, but I don't see a top 10 guy YET.

125 - Mackall, a plus
133 - Gomez, a plus (at least more consistent, I think)
141 - Parker/Simmons (not sure vs Storr)
149 - Degen, flat to a plus
157 - Straw, flat to a plus
165 - Jennings/St John, flat
174 - Coleman, a plus
184 - Bush, ????
197 - Colbray, flat
Hwt - Harrington/Gremmel, flat

I think most are better now than the beginning of the season. I hope these guys start off next year closer to where they are lately (well maybe not where they were the last 10 days, but right before that).

pancake

Nov 19, 2017
Agreed. Degen was bringing it, Sorensen is so damn tough. Parker had the gas tank to go but got outclassed on the feet. Straw hand fought good I thought also. The rest was domination.

Next year will be slightly better with Gomez and Coleman. They will take their lumps but are immediate improvements at 133 and 174.
The Parker match yesterday as a data point that gets a slight asterisk. After a great debut weekend at 141 in Oklahoma he misses 2 weeks with what we find out required scope surgery. He essentially had 1 week of training in the last 20 days leading up to the Iowa dual. I think with 10-11 days of solid training he makes a solid effort at Big 12's.

As for next year, with a solid off season I would say Mackall, Gomez, Parker, Degan, Straw, Coleman, Colbray, and Harrington are all qualifiers and point scorers at NCAAs.

Reactions: cyputz and stuclone

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
The Parker match yesterday as a data point that gets a slight asterisk. After a great debut weekend at 141 in Oklahoma he misses 2 weeks with what we find out required scope surgery. He essentially had 1 week of training in the last 20 days leading up to the Iowa dual. I think with 10-11 days of solid training he makes a solid effort at Big 12's.

As for next year, with a solid off season I would say Mackall, Gomez, Parker, Degan, Straw, Coleman, Colbray, and Harrington are all qualifiers and point scorers at NCAAs.

I hope so. I do think the slow start at the beginning of the season, killed our chances for some guys to earn berths and put themselves in a tough spot for Big 12s

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Can anyone confirm Wilcke was actually there besides me? I know I saw him there even though I know Brands said he was back home "sick"

I wasn't paying attention and not sure I would recognize him. I was told before the meet that Wilcke didn't weigh in and Holloway did.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I wasn't paying attention and not sure I would recognize him. I was told before the meet that Wilcke didn't weigh in and Holloway did.

When Dresser said in the chalk talk that he didn't weigh in I was looking for him before the meet and spotted him. Just wanted to see if anyone else did too

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

PlanoClone

Mar 27, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Solid first post.
Anything in the 1st post you don't agree with? Have to say I agree with him 100%. We got it handed to us. 1 take down in 9 matches. And now everybody is fixated on the fact that they forfeited a match and CyTwins is going to hire a private investigator to see if Wilcke was or wasn't in Ames. Time to do what the theme song from Frozen suggests.

• Funny
Reactions: Primetime26

GPHISU

Feb 18, 2018
So can someone please explain the 7-11 comment? I read on previous comments that there is nothing too it and that Dresser was talking to him and his family at the post meet social, but why was it said? Inside joke?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
So can someone please explain the 7-11 comment? I read on previous comments that there is nothing too it and that Dresser was talking to him and his family at the post meet social, but why was it said? Inside joke?

I think it stems from having Vega, a solid 125 pounder suspended, then quits at the beginning of the season, then Jon M., steps in and wrestles 125 after being suspended at the beginning of the season, then he quits, then we have Allison, who was a club wrestler at Iowa State walk on and breaks his hand and then no 125 pounders left on the roster and Sinjin walks in and says can I help? A one time state qualifier with no thoughts of wrestling for Iowa State, but likes wrestling.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz and Bam bam

Bam bam

Nov 10, 2017
I think it goes back to one of the first press conferences after Sinjin made his debut. One of the reporters asked about where Briggs came from and about his credentials (at that point it was not known that Allison would be out for the rest of the season) and Dresser responded that one of the coaches saw him in a Quick Trip with a wrestling shirt on and they asked him to join the team. They have regularly joked about it since. If I am remembering correctly (I can't remember where I saw this or if Dresser said it in a press conference) the truth is that Sinjin learned of the opening on the team from his CIWC youth coach Dwight Hinson. Sinjin reached out to Dresser and the rest is history. I thought the joke was funny at first, but I think it needs to die now. In reality, the kid has wrestled his whole life, so this is kind of insulting to him and his family. It takes a huge set of balls to keep going out there knowing that you will get killed. He doesn't need his coaches joking about his credentials. I have to believe that they respect what he is doing and appreciate what he is doing for the team, but this isn't the way to show that in my opinion.

Last edited:

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
It goes back to one of the first press conferences after Sinjin made his debut. One of the reporters asked about where Briggs came from and about his credentials (at that point it was not known that Allison would be out for the rest of the season) and Dresser responded that one of the coaches saw him in a Quick Trip with a wrestling shirt on and they asked him to join the team. They have regularly joked about it since. If I am remembering correctly, the truth is that Sinjin learned of the opening on the team from his CIWC youth coach Dwight Hinson. Sinjin reached out to Dresser and the rest is history. I thought the joke was funny at first, but I think it needs to die now. In reality, the kid has wrestled his whole life, so this is kind of insulting to him and his family. It takes a huge set of balls to keep going out there knowing that you will get killed. He doesn't need his coaches joking about his credentials. I believe the respect him and appreciate what he is doing for the team, but this isn't the way to show that in my opinion.

I talked to him at the social. Good kid. Got his eyes opened up how hard practice was. He is working hard and gets a lot of praise from the fans and coaching staff for the effort and sacrifice he is making for the team. He is getting an opportunity that many of us Cyclone fans would love to have and that is wrestling in Hilton. Go get'em Sinjin!

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA

I believe the phrase “grabbed a guy from the 7-11” is equivalent to saying “grabbed a guy from off the street “.

Which is essentially what Sinjin is. He literally came from off the street (campus) and offered to be the 125 lb-er. He has no D1 pedigree, wasn’t recruited, no scholarship. Just a regular student who walked into the wrestling room and joined the team.

Dresser is saying that if ISU could put a sacrificial lamb out on the mat at 125, why couldn’t Iowa put their backup out on the mat at 197. Spencer Lee gets an easy W for Iowa at 125. Sam Colbray gets cheated out of a match and a likely win at 197.

How anyone can interpret this as a slight against Sinjin is laughable.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Anything in the 1st post you don't agree with? Have to say I agree with him 100%. We got it handed to us. 1 take down in 9 matches. And now everybody is fixated on the fact that they forfeited a match and CyTwins is going to hire a private investigator to see if Wilcke was or wasn't in Ames. Time to do what the theme song from Frozen suggests.

I actually thought it was solid, I am an Iowa fan.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I believe the phrase “grabbed a guy from the 7-11” is equivalent to saying “grabbed a guy from off the street “.

Which is essentially what Sinjin is. He literally came from off the street (campus) and offered to be the 125 lb-er. He has no D1 pedigree, wasn’t recruited, no scholarship. Just a regular student who walked into the wrestling room and joined the team.

Dresser is saying that if ISU could put a sacrificial lamb out on the mat at 125, why couldn’t Iowa put their backup out on the mat at 197. Spencer Lee gets an easy W for Iowa at 125. Sam Colbray gets cheated out of a match and a likely win at 197.

@ChrisMWilliams this is a guy you should do a podcast with or article about!!!

As I've said before NO ONE has any room or frankly reason to say a single bad thing about what Sinjin is doing for the program. What he is doing is showing his true character and that is one that refuses to let the outcomes stop him from going in and grinding it out at a D1 wrestling program. He will be a letter winner, have his name attached with one of the greater wrestling programs in college history and go on to represent that university long after graduation.

Bam bam

Nov 10, 2017
I talked to him at the social. Good kid. Got his eyes opened up how hard practice was. He is working hard and gets a lot of praise from the fans and coaching staff for the effort and sacrifice he is making for the team. He is getting an opportunity that many of us Cyclone fans would love to have and that is wrestling in Hilton. Go get'em Sinjin!
I am glad to hear that, he deserves all of the praise! I think it takes so much heart to keep going out there when you are taking a beating like he has. I would think the allure of wrestling in Hilton would start to fade if you know you are going to lose every time. I admire the heck out of him for doing what he is doing.

• Winner
Reactions: cyputz and Cyclad

Bam bam

Nov 10, 2017

I agree with your interpretation of what Dresser was saying regarding the Iowa match and Iowa's decision not to put a 197 pounder out there. I agree with him. If we can put a sacrificial lamb out there every week, Iowa should have thrown someone out there too. It was typical Hawkeye BS. I don't interpret his viewpoint on that as a slight at all. I just think it is time to get some new material. I did think the Quick Trip comment was funny the first time that they said it. At this point though, when the kid has demonstrated so much heart and continues to show up, I think it is time to let that joke die and find some new material. Open praise at every opportunity is what he deserves. If I was his parent, I wouldn't think it was funny anymore.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I am glad to hear that, he deserves all of the praise! I think it takes so much heart to keep going out there when you are taking a beating like he has. I would think the allure of wrestling in Hilton would start to fade if you know you are going to lose every time. I admire the heck out of him for doing what he is doing.

I have to think he knows this is a temporary thing. He is going to be able to say I was a Iowa State wrestler and starter and wrestled at the Big 12 tournament. Pretty cool!

Reactions: Bam bam

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

I confirmed through other channels Wilcke was there so pretty much confirms the chicken blank move IMO. Let it go!

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa

This. Some of you are trying to make this something it is not. Dresser is saying we put a guy out there knowing he had a 0% chance of winning and didn't back down from the challenge. Sinjin just joined the team and isn't even close to the same level as Lee but came to fight anyways. Holloway was a top 100 recruit who has been with the program for 3 years now.. The fans were cheated out of a treat. It looked like Holloways hand was wrapped up - hardly dibilitating. I believe that was him walking around with tape on his wrist anyways.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
This. Some of you are trying to make this something it is not. Dresser is saying we put a guy out there knowing he had a 0% chance of winning and didn't back down from the challenge. Sinjin just joined the team and isn't even close to the same level as Lee but came to fight anyways. Holloway was a top 100 recruit who has been with the program for 3 years now.. The fans were cheated out of a treat. It looked like Holloways hand was wrapped up - hardly dibilitating. I believe that was him walking around with tape on his wrist anyways.

What type of treat were they cheated out of? Doubling the takedown total for ISU in the dual?

• Agree
Reactions: PlanoClone