** Official Texas Tech Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It's not crazy to be talking NCAA. We won the Big 12 tournament 3 times in 4 years. All you have to do is get hot right at the end of the season (like we did with those Big 12 championship years) and we very well could contend for the Big 12 tournament again. Last week this was crazy talk but this win today shows this team can play with the top of the conference (not to mention beat the crap out of them). With Hilton South in action and the potential of this team, we very well could string 3 wins in the Big 12 tournament for an automatic NCAA tournament bid.

Oh, we could. I’m not saying it’s impossible. We have a good team. I think we’ll have a very good team a month from now. Anyone can win in a tournament setting, and we’ve certainly proven that we can win down there.

Reactions: Doc

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Nick Weiler-Babb played all 40 minutes.

I swore I heard the NBA Jam or College Slam voice for "HE'S ON FIRE!" a few times with those threes that he took -- the stepbacks, turnarounds, and half-court stuff.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
If you could get to .500 in the league roughly that would be enough in this confernece to get a tourney bid not because of being .500 but because by definition it would be 9 quality wins. 11 games to go, I can't see us even being competitive with WV in either game so call it 7 losses right there. That means of the 9 other games you have to win 7 of them, that is a A LOT to ask. The two OT games are killers right now, if you had even one of them it might be a different conversation. UNI sucking ass is not helping either right now. And now you have to go to Texas on short rest off a big win, not easy to do for anyone.

Now on the flip side, after today is it possible to get hot and rattle off a win streak? Maybe, crazier things have happened. Everyone in the league is vulnerable but it is going to take a lot of road wins to get there. I really think our guys can handle OU both at home and on the road. Trae Young is getting scouted now and if he wants to score 48 on 40 shots, I think we win if they want to play like that. I know that sounds crazy but I think we match up with them very well.

I really don't see a path to the tourney, but today was a big big step and Stinson and Blaylock started 0-5 in the league and then got hot. Important win for Coach Prohm, really thought the whole program took a big step today. If you could somehow wiggle into the NIT, that would be a nice accomplishement for this team.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Really nice win and amazing improvement from the other night. When was the last time we improved 40+ points in one game in score and points given up?

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
I'd like to see more development from Talley in this game. They could really use his athleticism on the defensive end. Same with Lewis/Jakolby. If they could get their shots clicking that would take some of the pressure off Donovan and Lindell.

Nice to see Talley really stepped up. He's gonna be an important piece off the bench.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
Didn't get to watch (at the game) but I wondered how many times the announcers used the phrase "last place in the Big 12". Seemed like a theme phrase on Wednesday.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
We’re likely in for a swift reality check Monday.

Unfortunately, I think you may be right. This team is going to have some great highs, and definitely some lows. My hope is that the peaks and valleys aren't as big as we get towards the end of February, which Prohm has shown his two years here.

Still going to drink the koolaid and say we sneak an overtime victory at their place, 76 -72.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'd like to see more development from Talley in this game. They could really use his athleticism on the defensive end. Same with Lewis/Jakolby. If they could get their shots clicking that would take some of the pressure off Donovan and Lindell.

And your wish came true.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
If you could get to .500 in the league roughly that would be enough in this confernece to get a tourney bid not because of being .500 but because by definition it would be 9 quality wins. 11 games to go, I can't see us even being competitive with WV in either game so call it 7 losses right there. That means of the 9 other games you have to win 7 of them, that is a A LOT to ask. The two OT games are killers right now, if you had even one of them it might be a different conversation. UNI sucking ass is not helping either right now. And now you have to go to Texas on short rest off a big win, not easy to do for anyone.

Now on the flip side, after today is it possible to get hot and rattle off a win streak? Maybe, crazier things have happened. Everyone in the league is vulnerable but it is going to take a lot of road wins to get there. I really think our guys can handle OU both at home and on the road. Trae Young is getting scouted now and if he wants to score 48 on 40 shots, I think we win if they want to play like that. I know that sounds crazy but I think we match up with them very well.

I really don't see a path to the tourney, but today was a big big step and Stinson and Blaylock started 0-5 in the league and then got hot. Important win for Coach Prohm, really thought the whole program took a big step today. If you could somehow wiggle into the NIT, that would be a nice accomplishement for this team.

This team can beat anyone one a given night. Yes it just sucks they lost early but we figured that could happen. It would be so nice to have the first 3 back. This team is built different than teams past. They have the bigs to go against WV. If the team keeps their heads in it they have a shot at home. Don't forget Tech beat WV, so anything can happen.

Reactions: Bestaluckcy

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Nick Weiler-Babb played all 40 minutes.

I swore I heard the NBA Jam or College Slam voice for "HE'S ON FIRE!" a few times with those threes that he took -- the stepbacks, turnarounds, and half-court stuff.

Babb playing 40 minutes....again. And with Texas a Monday game. Grrrrr Was hoping with the 13-15 pt. lead that Nick could come out for at least 3 minutes, but CSP just doesn't trust anyone else. Cant blame him, but Babb is racking up a lot of minutes and with a knee issue to boot.

andymhallman

Nov 28, 2012
Fairfield, Iowa
Great game from the Clones. Lard dominated the first half, and the guards were impressive in the second half. We’re not as deep as past teams, but we’ve got multiple scoring threats. Five guys in double figures!

I should add that we got a lot of help from Tech. Keenan Evans had a horrible day, going 2-12, and the team was just cold the whole game. It also didn’t look like Tech watched our TCU game, because they didn’t try much to run that devastating pick and roll play at the top of the key.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
We’re likely in for a swift reality check Monday.

I just hope we don't have to watch UT's Osteiowitch (whatever his name is) go off for a career high in 3's again. We'll see if we got better at PnR defense.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Great game from the Clones. Lard dominated the first half, and the guards were impressive in the second half. We’re not as deep as past teams, but we’ve got multiple scoring threats. Five guys in double figures!

I should add that we got a lot of help from Tech. Keenan Evans had a horrible day, going 2-12, and the team was just cold the whole game. It also didn’t look like Tech watched our TCU game, because they didn’t try much to run that devastating pick and roll play at the top of the key.

They're not as effective from 3, which makes it easier to hedge it and they were more reluctant to take the quick three than TCU was. But our guys did respond much better in hedging and in recovery.

Reactions: andymhallman