Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I received a $100 gift card to Capital Grille for referring my neighbor to a roofer I used. I told her we'd take her out to eat with us and split it, but she said that we should use it since I've helped her out with some yard work, fixing her gutters and other random crap.

I knew it was a higher end restaurant (I've never eaten there before) but after scanning the menu I'm quickly realizing that I could easily spend another $100 of my own money to get a meal and some drinks.

I'm not a pauper, but I have a really hard time spending that much money on one meal, special occasion or not.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I received a $100 gift card to Capital Grille for referring my neighbor to a roofer I used. I told her we'd take her out to eat with us and split it, but she said that we should use it since I've helped her out with some yard work, fixing her gutters and other random crap.

I knew it was a higher end restaurant (I've never eaten there before) but after scanning the menu I'm quickly realizing that I could easily spend another $100 of my own money to get a meal and some drinks.

I'm not a pauper, but I have a really hard time spending that much money on one meal, special occasion or not.
Can't you go for lunch and get one of their plates that is soup or salad and one of selected entrees for $20?

http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/menu-listing/lunch

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

We went to Cobble Hill here in CR a couple of years ago and I think with tip the final bill was $97 for two entrees, two drinks and an appetizer. Definitely out of our normal price range but it was very nice and cool to do IMO.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Can't you go for lunch and get one of their plates that is soup or salad and one of selected entrees for $20?

http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/menu-listing/lunch

That might be what we do. That menu is a little more reasonable.

It's not like I can't spend the money on a nice meal, but I just have a hard time supporting a place that charges that much for food.

Food is one of those weird topics that can bring an argument out of me. People starve in this world and yet there are numbers of cooking shows that throw tons of food away. And in general, the difference in eating healthy or unhealthy is determined by your financial status.

*This could be the start of a glorious rant for me, but I'll step off the soap box before my convictions take over my typing.

Reactions: SCyclone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
We went to Cobble Hill here in CR a couple of years ago and I think with tip the final bill was $97 for two entrees, two drinks and an appetizer. Definitely out of our normal price range but it was very nice and cool to do IMO.

That's moderately reasonable, IMO. I know several people that likely spend that nearly every time they go out to eat (granted, a lot of that is probably tied up in drinks). I don't have a problem with people spending their money this way. It's theirs to spend. I just can't do it even if I have the money to continuously do it.

The places that irk me are the ones where the appetizers are $20, entrees all hover around $50-$60 and drinks are $10. I know they are a business and I don't have to spend my money there, but it annoys me more than other businesses for some reason.

I think being raised on a farm where we raised or grew a lot of our own food factors into my mindset.

Reactions: SCyclone and wxman1

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Sitting in my lunchroom here at work. Ice is falling down the class roof and hitting the pavement 14 floors down.

Keep your head on a swivel. Doesn't look like it would be fun to get hit with that

• Informative
Reactions: oldman

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Hopefully it makes you feel better to know that many food exhibition type shows, restaurants and farmers put in a lot of work making sure that just about every food item that can be salvaged goes to a food resource entity. Up here in the Twin Cities a lot of it goes to Second Harvest.

http://www.2harvest.org/who--how-we-help/services-and-programs/#.Wl-lnrynFNA

In addition much of the prepared food that can't be safely served to people is captured and not wasted. The convention center's caterer participates in the Food-to-Hogs program and an estimated 100 tons of food waste gets recycled through nature's porcine recyclers every year.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I will use my decoding skills for you. She said:

"Thanks for the assistance, but I don't really care for you enough to actually spend any of my free time with you!"

You..........are.........welcome. Just shout if you need something else decoded.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Feeding 4-6 people, no biggee. Feeding 2 or 3? That's a lotta dough...

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Sitting in my lunchroom here at work. Ice is falling down the class roof and hitting the pavement 14 floors down.

Keep your head on a swivel. Doesn't look like it would be fun to get hit with that
I had canted skylights along the back wall of my office that were at ground level. Western wall. Ice would form, drip off in the afternoon and shatter on my skylights. Nerve-wracking when you're not expecting it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Today's "Oh, Z's growing up fast" moment.

Picked up the car from the repair shop. In the minute I was in the courtesy car removing Z's car seat to reinstall in ours, she made her way through the car into the driver's seat.

I get over there, see her, know that the car is indeed running, and feel the old heart jump a beat.

Z says, "Don't worry, Dad. Just sit in the back and I'll drive us home."

That's happening, like, soonish. Oh dear.

On a side note, no, you are not allowed to move the decimal point on your receipt in an attempt to reduce the price. They politely frown on that.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Get the CT and go see Warme at Mary Greely. Does a great job.

Got a text from her mom today. Doctor called and informed them that injury was a small cartilage tear on the femur bone. She had an acl injury in 8th grade but no harm was done to area where that surgery was done. Rehab is needed but chance she could be back in 2-3 weeks which would be in time for district playoffs

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Went to redemption center, guy ahead of me dumps out his cans and a dead bird.

Felt nauseous from that, hop on CF, read the MSU pedo thread, now a cross between nausea and rage.

• Friendly
Reactions: CysTheLimit

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Got a text from her mom today. Doctor called and informed them that injury was a small cartilage tear on the femur bone. She had an acl injury in 8th grade but no harm was done to area where that surgery was done. Rehab is needed but chance she could be back in 2-3 weeks which would be in time for district playoffs

Hitting rehab immediately helps, even before surgery. Which thanks for the reminder I need to call Warme's office myself to reschedule kids appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.