We won’t get Wigginton for four years

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Perhaps, but also don’t confuse leaving early with being an NBA player. It’s not uncommon for guys to leave before their at that level.
We can't read his mind so I'm just basing on development level. He could drop out at semester and play overseas. :)

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
The shooting is unexpected, he wasn't supposed to be a pure outside shooter, but he wasn't expected to be a pass-first point either. He was billed as a slasher, someone who's main offensive strength was driving into the line, getting to the bucket and the free throw line.

He's outside shooting has been tremendous - and will likely regress a bit. But he should get to the line more as he settles in and the game continues to slow down for him.

Agree. I remember with Monte it was a "he needs to get an outside shot" and he did that his last two years...good that Wigg has a good base/start (if not GREAT).

If he can be both a shooter/distributer AND slasher...watch out. LOVE that we have him. And given the little I've seen him, seems to be pretty grounded and emotionally good (calm, but excited when appropriate).

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
My ridiculously stupid hot take:

Cameron Lard is more likely to leave early for the NBA than Lindell Wiggington.
If they both carry us to say an Elite Eight game their sophomore or junior years they will be gone because their draft prospect will be at its highest. Unless you're an elite recruit and your NBA prospect is already set, a deep run can do amazing things for your NBA resume.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
If they both carry us to say an Elite Eight game their sophomore or junior years they will be gone because their draft prospect will be at its highest. Unless you're an elite recruit and your NBA prospect is already set, a deep run can do amazing things for your NBA resume.

Also they are both old for freshmen, Lard turned 20 in September and Wigginton turns 20 in March.

For borderline NBA early-entrants, familial situation often plays a deciding factor.

If Lard, over the next two years, can extend his current level of play from ~15 minutes a game to 25+ minutes per game, he'd easily average 15 & 10.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Haven't most determined that he'd have to play pg in the NBA? Therefore, alot will have to improve as far as his 'handle' and passing. Love his talent, but I don't think we need to think about it til after his junior year. And if we do, then that means a heck of a breakout year (LW and team) and then some his sophomore year, which we'd take. Everybody has to keep in mind, as does LW, how hard it is to play in the NBA, and how many great college players are not on NBA rosters.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I am thinking two years. Maybe three if year two does not meet expectations. He has too much talent to stay four years.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We can't read his mind so I'm just basing on development level. He could drop out at semester and play overseas. :)
If we’re to put our head in the sand under the guise that mind reading is needed to truly know, I’ll say Wigginton will stay all four years. :) That’s when he’ll be the most NBA-success ready. I mean, making it in the NBA as a 6’2 guard is tough for even fully developed point guards. I don’t see him running pg until his junior year, and I hope we add another pg by then.

Reading the tea leaves isn’t for everyone. He’s alluded to wanting to leaving early. I didn’t take it as looking to leave without regard, but no mind reading is required to recognize guys with his billing often leave prior to what the basing it off of development level would determine.

Last edited:

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Two years. Teams like to stockpile young talent so they don't need to wait. Given that, if you are a player, why would you wait to make your deserved $$?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Psiclone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
He's going to be sharing the backcourt with a couple seniors next year. Strongly believe he'll see his junior season as a chance to take the lead with all the young incoming talent and maximize his draft status.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
He's going to be sharing the backcourt with a couple seniors next year. Strongly believe he'll see his junior season as a chance to take the lead with all the young incoming talent and maximize his draft status.

Wigginton
Lewis
Horton-Tucker
Lard
Young
---
Griffin

What do I win for the first 2019-2020 lineup post...? :D

Reactions: isutrevman

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Haven't most determined that he'd have to play pg in the NBA? Therefore, alot will have to improve as far as his 'handle' and passing. Love his talent, but I don't think we need to think about it til after his junior year. And if we do, then that means a heck of a breakout year (LW and team) and then some his sophomore year, which we'd take. Everybody has to keep in mind, as does LW, how hard it is to play in the NBA, and how many great college players are not on NBA rosters.
He's a great talent and I'm pumped he's one of us but he has a long way to go to be NBA caliber player. If he gets to the point that he is deciding between returning for his senior year or to go to the NBA will mean we've watched 3 awesome years of bball from him.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Ive said it before but I think 2019-2020 could be one of the most talented rosters we've ever seen. If Wigginton leaves after his Junior year it very likely means incredible results not only personally for Lindell but collectively for ISU basketball. If we have a huge year and Lindell leaves early I trust Prohm will have the next great PG in the pipeline.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Sort of off topic but Hines feels like he needs to stir the pot over nothing.

Here is the full quote..

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron