Five thoughts from Iowa State's exhibition win over Emporia State

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
He had one turnover and four assists. He was our best ball handler. If anything Wigginton needs to handle the ball less. He had half our turnovers.

Wigginton is a true freshman who noted his adrenaline was through the roof before tip off, clearly affecting his shot and other aspects of play for his first game ever in Hilton. I'll stick with my prediction the Weiler-Babb will lead the team in turnovers, however we desperately need his athleticism for defense and rebounding.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Wigginton is a true freshman who noted his adrenaline was through the roof before tip off, clearly affecting his shot and other aspects of play for his first game ever in Hilton. I'll stick with my prediction the Weiler-Babb will lead the team in turnovers, however we desperately need his athleticism for defense and rebounding.

No way this happens. Wigginton will lead this team in turnovers. He'll also lead the team in free throw attempts. That's his game.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I saw a group of guys trying to figure each other out. Wigginton is going to be really good, but you could tell he was getting really frustrated at times. They got pretty lackadaisical after they took that 15 point lead and then ES was right back in it. There are going to be a lot of growing pains this year, but w/o Lard and Lewis out there I think it is impossible to take a whole lot about the team from last night.

ISUKing

Apr 27, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Not related to the article, but don't think it deserves its own thread, did anyone else notice they moved all the banners around in the rafters and the retired jerseys has one folded, like its prepped to add one..... We gonna see Ejim or Niang in the rafters this season? Someone else?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Last last two seasons have started out the same way - sluggish offense. However we knew the players ISU had and felt confident that they would turn it around.

The roster is new, 3 guys didn't play..........there are just a lot of unkowns, plus this team does not have the shooters we are used to watching the past 6 seasons. I would think this team would have look more like a Tim Floyd team, be scrappy, play defense, get to the FT line and hit the offensive glass.
They will undoubtedly get better. Hopefully we’ll not lose too many in the meantime, but I’m guessing we will.

The path to success is playing like the ‘96-‘97 team imo

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Wigginton will likely have more turnovers imo. He is a freshman with a game predicated on forcing the issue. His handle isn’t that tight yet, either, relative to Big 12 pgs.

Let NWB handle the more mundane pg duties, freeing up DJ and Wigginton to attack imo.

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
I'm not expecting Lard, Lewis and Brase to make this team exceptionally better, but those three bodies were definitely missed. I would expect better team effort against Missouri. Actually, I think they will look like a completely different team in 10 days.

Side note ... The worst thing that happened to Weiler-Babb was the outspoken hype given to him from Hoiberg and Prohm. Obviously, we don't see practice, but he isn't close to the player we're all expecting.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
So the team doesn't have even one walk on? What happened?
According to Hines the one we were supposed to have (Jack Hutchison) quit. Either way I'd like to see us use those spots. Obviously it doesn't happen often but those guys turn into contributors sometimes and there's really no downside into using them.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm not expecting Lard, Lewis and Brase to make this team exceptionally better, but those three bodies were definitely missed. I would expect better team effort against Missouri. Actually, I think they will look like a completely different team in 10 days.

Side note ... The worst thing that happened to Weiler-Babb was the outspoken hype given to him from Hoiberg and Prohm. Obviously, we don't see practice, but he isn't close to the player we're all expecting.

That depends on what you were expecting. He stuffs the stat sheet, but isn't an aggressive scorer (though he was more aggressive last night than he was last year). I'd be thrilled if he can score 10-12 with several rebounds, assists and steals to round it out (on top of solid defense).

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

What were you expecting from Babb?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Didn’t we win at mizzou our last game there? Mcdermott team i think.

I really don't remember but could have.

Winning there was few and far between though. They also punked ISU at Hilton pretty often.

I remember the 00-01 team had a triple OT game or something there.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

He isn’t close to the player we expected? 12 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 5 steals, and 1 turnover in his first start as a junior more than matches the hype. He’s a 6’5” athletic guy that can play 3 positions. He also may not be a finished product.

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
This is a team overflowing with role players. Donovan and LW are the lone exceptions and LW is just a frosh. There will be many lumps taken this year. I'm certain there will be steady improvement but the ceiling isn't that high.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
According to Hines the one we were supposed to have (Jack Hutchison) quit. Either way I'd like to see us use those spots. Obviously it doesn't happen often but those guys turn into contributors sometimes and there's really no downside into using them.
So, did Wes Greder just decide 1 year was enough?

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Why didn't Lewis and Lard play? I get Brase, but what am I missing here? Didn't get to see the game.

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
That win was at K-State.

That was the previous one I recalled, but actually the most-recent W at Missouri was January '07 in McDermott's first season.
Dodie Dunson with the game winner if I remember correctly, first conference game of the season that year