Five thoughts from Iowa State's exhibition win over Emporia State

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I agree with most of those points. Jakolby actually screws me up with his free throw stroke. It's like really fast, as though he is going to shoot it in one motion, then he stops and then shoots. Seems to work for him, but I'm going to have to get used to that.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I can't recall the last time ISU won at Mizzou so not too worried about the result there other than seeing the team play more sound.

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
They looked like guys playing pickup game of basketball against guys they I new they were better then. Not much to take away from it other then we need to see a little bit of urgency out of these guys

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I agree with most of those points. Jakolby actually screws me up with his free throw stroke. It's like really fast, as though he is going to shoot it in one motion, then he stops and then shoots. Seems to work for him, but I'm going to have to get used to that.

be patient, I don't want you getting a lane violation.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Last last two seasons have started out the same way - sluggish offense. However we knew the players ISU had and felt confident that they would turn it around.

The roster is new, 3 guys didn't play..........there are just a lot of unkowns, plus this team does not have the shooters we are used to watching the past 6 seasons. I would think this team would have look more like a Tim Floyd team, be scrappy, play defense, get to the FT line and hit the offensive glass.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Last last two seasons have started out the same way - sluggish offense. However we knew the players ISU had and felt confident that they would turn it around.

The roster is new, 3 guys didn't play..........there are just a lot of unkowns, plus this team does not have the shooters we are used to watching the past 6 seasons. I would think this team would have look more like a Tim Floyd team, be scrappy, play defense, get to the FT line and hit the offensive glass.
This sums it up for me also. I did like the couple of spurts that they made when the other team pulled within a couple...Jackson lit it up at the end of the first half and the team pushed nicely in the second half.

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
Overall, was kind of what I expected with the three guys not playing. But, there were some things that were concerning:

-The three-point shooting was really bad. Most of the misses weren't close either. I remember Talley getting in and on one of his first opportunities chucked up an airball from the corner. Beverly had a couple really bad misses too. What worries me the most is that as of right now it only looks like we have one three-point shooting threat. Hopefully I'm wrong.

-Offense didn't flow very well. Just didn't seem like there was much semblance on the offensive side of the ball. Didn't know what to expect any time down the floor.

-FREE THROWS.

-Offensive rebounding should have been considerably better given our size advantage.

There were some positives I took away though believe it or not:

-Nick Weiler-Babb looked good when running the point. Now I can't decide who I like better in that spot: NWB, Wigginton or Jackson. I think Jackson is better suited off the ball, so looks like as of now NWB and Wigginton will be the two ball-handling guards.

-Wigginton looked pretty impressive in spots. His jumper was pretty iffy, but can really get off the ground and looks like he will usually have a physical advantage over his man.

-Donovan Jackson took a while to get going, but then once he did was pretty impressive. But seemed like he tried to do it all himself in a lot of spots.

-Jakolby Long was the brightest spot I took away from it. As Stanz said his jumper is really strange, but he looked good defending and had confidence taking it to the basket.

In closing, obviously a lot of room to improve. Give this team some time to gel, it's going to take a while.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I'm in the "slightly concerned" space right now. D-Jack and Wigginton are going to be just fine; Wigginton has the ability to beat someone off the bounce and D-Jack still looks pure from deep. Tough to make an opinion on Young's first outing, the refs did a great job of keeping him off the court. Talley has potential, he wasn't very aggressive but the few times that he was it seems he will be a consistent 13/7 type of guy for us. Still not sold on Weiler-Babb as a ball handler, he was loose with the ball even against D2 competition. I'm of the opinion Cam Lard will be our X factor once he gets going based on what I saw in CapCity.

After last night I expect 17-18 wins and .500 in conference play.

• Optimistic
Reactions: jay moe and Cyclad

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Didn’t we win at mizzou our last game there? Mcdermott team i think.

That win was at K-State.
The Royce team was the last one to play there. Last win I remember there was Wayne Morgan’s last year in 2006.

That was the previous one I recalled, but actually the most-recent W at Missouri was January '07 in McDermott's first season.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I'm in the "slightly concerned" space right now. D-Jack and Wigginton are going to be just fine; Wigginton has the ability to beat someone off the bounce and D-Jack still looks pure from deep. Tough to make an opinion on Young's first outing, the refs did a great job of keeping him off the court. Talley has potential, he wasn't very aggressive but the few times that he was it seems he will be a consistent 13/7 type of guy for us. Still not sold on Weiler-Babb as a ball handler, he was loose with the ball even against D2 competition. I'm of the opinion Cam Lard will be our X factor once he gets going based on what I saw in CapCity.

After last night I expect 17-18 wins and .500 in conference play.

He had one turnover and four assists. He was our best ball handler. If anything Wigginton needs to handle the ball less. He had half our turnovers.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I am expecting opposing teams to use zone defenses against us. Stop penetration and try to force someone besides D Jack hit outside shots.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Like Prohm says, this team will literally need to get better every day. We will need incremental improvements in Defense, because the offense simply has to take a big step back from where we've been.

We need to find a way to still win without hitting double digit 3's and we'll have to fight through a lot more turnovers than we're used to.

We'll have to be really strong at getting to the line, rebounding and defense if we want to win more than 3-4 conference games.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
My expectation has been a 15 win season given the roster. Which to me is still on track. We look about like a 10 win team right now and I expect we will play more like a 20 win team at the end of the season. Quite a bit of talent on the roster, but going to take a bit to put it all together.

If we could somehow sneak out a couple good nonconference wins early, like @Missouri, that would be huge for the season.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Not surprised they struggled. I would have been more surprised if they played great. Long playing well is a nice thing and hopefully continues. Even if he just provides defense and rebounding that will help. You just have to hope that with this team, you see steady progress throughout the year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron