Five thoughts from Iowa State's exhibition win over Emporia State

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm not too worried yet. Prohm seems to need a few games (or weeks) to tinker with things. And then we're without some of our better? players.

Name game or 6 will be interesting. :)

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclad

kccyclone3

May 16, 2015
I expect this team to regroup and be more organized and play with a sense of urgency Friday night. Missouri is in a similar situation as well, an almost new team and not to forget under a first year coach.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I really liked Beverley's scappiness. He always seems to be in there mixing it up for rebounds and loose balls. If he can hit 35% of his three's that will really help this team.

Liked Talley's length and hustle. He was very effective on the boards.

Also liked Long's aggressiveness on offenses and defense. Lots of good pieces there. Just gotta let them gel.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I really liked Beverley's scappiness. He always seems to be in there mixing it up for rebounds and loose balls. If he can hit 35% of his three's that will really help this team.

Liked Talley's length and hustle. He was very effective on the boards.

Also liked Long's aggressiveness on offenses and defense. Lots of good pieces there. Just gotta let them gel.
Can Beverly be a new Dustin Hogue - glue guy? That would be useful but Hogue seems like a better overall athlete. I need to see more of Beverly before I can weigh in on that question.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Can Beverly be a new Dustin Hogue - glue guy? That would be useful but Hogue seems like a better overall athlete. I need to see more of Beverly before I can weigh in on that question.
If he can play the role that Dustin bought into his Junior year, or even like 75% of that, I will be verry pleased. And I think he can, he isn't as athletic as you pointed out, but I think his overall work ethic can get him a few rebounds throughout the game and your ability on defense (can be) defined by effort so I am not going to write him off as being too small or not strong enough yet (didn't see any of the exhibition)

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclad

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
If he can play the role that Dustin bought into his Junior year, or even like 75% of that, I will be verry pleased. And I think he can, he isn't as athletic as you pointed out, but I think his overall work ethic can get him a few rebounds throughout the game and your ability on defense (can be) defined by effort so I am not going to write him off as being too small or not strong enough yet (didn't see any of the exhibition)
The value of Dustin Hogue as a junkyard dog for those teams was easy to underestimate. He was a HUGE part of the team's success those 2 years and if we got 75% of that from Beverly, that would be very useful.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
The value of Dustin Hogue as a junkyard dog for those teams was easy to underestimate. He was a HUGE part of the team's success those 2 years and if we got 75% of that from Beverly, that would be very useful.
Yeah, my point exactly, Dusty did what nobody else on that team was capable of doing night in and night out, and he was 100% bought into being that role player for us. And if Jeff can buy into that mindset, which I think he very easily could (at least have the mindset), and it would be a big boost for us.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Dodie Dunson with the game winner if I remember correctly, first conference game of the season that year

Boy you had that game and the Mike Taylor game at Minny.. and then downhill from there fast.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Dodie Dunson with the game winner if I remember correctly, first conference game of the season that year

Wes Johnson tipped in a badly missed shot possibly by Dunson, but my money is on Mike Taylor.

That game was interesting. I remember Mike Taylor pulling up in transition for three and only hitting the backboard. He had a short memory because he did it again a little bit later and drained it.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
This team is going to live and die by DJs shooting.

Babb I thought played well, just needs to be more aggressive IMO.

Seems like the recipe for this season is figure out how to score against zone defense, because everyone will be playing it.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think we’ll see Donovan get a lot more than 11 shots on Friday. I think we’ll run stuff to get him looks. I won’t be one bit surprised if he puts up 25.

• Agree
Reactions: Bret44

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017
This team suck. No leadership, no energy, everyone looked confused. Whats even worse is that the freaking hawkeyes will come to Hilton and put on a beating on us, think about for a minute. Freaking Hawkeyes coming to Hilton and beating us. What a relief that our football team is going to a bowl game, otherwise a lot of people would have been depressed, myself included. Hoping for the best though and keep getting better.

kccyclone3

May 16, 2015
This team suck. No leadership, no energy, everyone looked confused. Whats even worse is that the freaking hawkeyes will come to Hilton and put on a beating on us, think about for a minute. Freaking Hawkeyes coming to Hilton and beating us. What a relief that our football team is going to a bowl game, otherwise a lot of people would have been depressed, myself included. Hoping for the best though and keep getting better.
Chill. It was one exhibition game.

• Agree
Reactions: CyJeans

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Buzz-Lightyear-Sad-Strange-Little-Man.gif

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Chill. It was one exhibition game.

He’s right...level of talent out east overal is better right now. If Brase doesn’t play and Lard an Lewis don’t get their act together it’s a 9-10 win season..

There are 2 players that needed to significantly up their game..SY and NWB..sure didn’t see any of that game 1.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Good news I think I found the miserable guy who was sitting in Section 210, Row 11, End Seat.