Do you believe in K Kempt now?

When did you become a believer in Kyle K?

• After the OU game

Votes: 78 32.1%
  • After the KU game

Votes: 24 9.9%
  • After the TTU game

Votes: 97 39.9%
  • Jury still out. OU had no game film on Kempt. KU is horrible. TTU's D isn't that great either

Votes: 34 14.0%
  • Start Park if/when he returns.

Votes: 10 4.1%

• Total voters

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
I was cautiously optimistic on Kempt up until the TTech game. I am a believer. KU proved nothing for me, and was hoping OU wasn't going to be a flash in the pan type of performance. Although TTech defense is much improved, it isn't an elite defense either. Very glad to see an aggressive gameplan by the coaches and KK simply making throws a big 12 Qb needs to make. Murdock (although otherwise having a great game) dropped a beautiful over the shoulder pass from Kempt late in the game that would have been a big gainer too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clonefan32

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
I thought you meant Kliff. I was like, why the **** are you posting that here?

ah crap. didn't even think about that. tried to edit title but couldn't figure out how. Seems like you can edit anything but the thread title. surely theres a way and im just blind

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I was cautiously optimistic on KK up until the TTech game. I am a believer. KU proved nothing for me, and was hoping OU wasn't going to be a flash in the pan type of performance. Although TTech defense is much improved, it isn't an elite defense either. Very glad to see an aggressive gameplan by the coaches and KK simply making throws a big 12 Qb needs to make. Murdock (although otherwise having a great game) dropped a beautiful over the shoulder pass from Kempt late in the game that would have been a big gainer too.

Honestly every throw he makes just seems like such a pick-off target (no real velocity) but he puts the ball into a very tight window each and every time. I can't even recall a particularly bad throw from him?

Game manager is the exact right role right now. I think there are so many more playmakers on both sides of the ball so we don't need QB heroics other than solid decisions.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Believe he is what?

He is what he is, which is what this team needs right now, so I think he should keep starting. Hopefully there's a chance to get Zeb a couple more series at some point.

believe that he is a big 12 caliber QB capable of achieving as much/more than Park I guess would be my answer to that question. Believe in him stepping in for potentially the rest of the season without a drop off in QB play.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Honestly every throw he makes just seems like such a pick-off target (no real velocity) but he puts the ball into a very tight window each and every time. I can't even recall a particularly bad throw from him?

Game manager is the exact right role right now. I think there are so many more playmakers on both sides of the ball so we don't need QB heroics other than solid decisions.

i think you are right in that it appears his throws are "soft". As long as he doesn't try to force a throw in a tight window (which he hasn't), everything will be ok. Qb's with stronger arms think they can squeeze a ball into a spot that is simply too small and eventually it bites them. hopefully kempt continues to make good decisions and doesn't force the issue. He seems to play within his capabilities very well.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I was confident in him after about 3 quarters of the OU game. You can't just get lucky on the road at OU, and show that kind of poise and temperament, making the right reads, throwing a good ball, etc.

I'm not saying we'd never go back to Park if he ever came back, but it had better not be until KK shows he's lost something and can't do it anymore. KK doesn't lose this job now unless he takes a big step backwards.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
My thought? Who cares? Kempt is getting the job done, why does anything else matter? Why does everything have to turn into a ****-measuring contest on this site? "I'm a better fan than the rest of you because I had faith in Kempt even when Park was the starter." Who cares except those of you that just have to have that ego boost?

• Agree
Reactions: Clonefan94 and Cy$

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
3 games against excellent, very poor, and slightly above average opponent levels is enough for me. I think he's drastically more mature than a typical college QB which is making up for the lack of career snaps. In each game we've had a few long and mid range pass plays that have absolutely killed the opponent.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I am at about the same level of belief I was after the OU game. He showed alot that game and add yet to regress. Depending on how he does against TCU'S defense will really show us all who KK is.

• Agree
Reactions: flander1649

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Yes, after the Tech game I am a believer he is our guy the rest of the year and helps give this team the best chance of winning.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
As many are pointing out, he doesn't have the strongest arm, but he's putting it right on the money. Receivers are also doing a great job of getting open.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
believe that he is a big 12 caliber QB capable of achieving as much/more than Park I guess would be my answer to that question.

After yesterday's game, noticed Park's quarterback rating, 135-something this fall, is behind Kempt's, 170-something. Telling, right? Or, can that fact be picked apart?

Just viewed the up-to-date Big 12 individual and team stats. Guess Kyle hasn't had enough work yet to be considered. tCu has some eye-popping rankings. (So does iSu, of course, given where we've been for many years.)

http://www.big12sports.com/fls/10410/pdfs/football/2017OverallStats.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=10410

Last edited:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

I think they have kind of modified what they are doing on offense to compensate for the lack of speed on his passes. So far he is doing great, but they have stayed way from those WR screens to the far sidelines. I noticed against OU the long TD by Ryan was more of a traditional WR screen, where Ryan was in motion and running away when he threw the pass, and it was not a great pass, but good enough. He has thrown some really nice passes over the middle too. KK can't make all the throws, but he can sure make a lot of them, which is more than you can say for a lot of P5 qbs.

Just another unsung transfer that is excelling in his last chance to play. CMC just seems to find these guys.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron