Vacation and Sick Time Question

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
So I was told today that my vacation time and sick time will no longer be tracked by the company I work for since I was told I am upper management (of which is news to me as I'm in sales). Any one else have anything like this? I just thought it was strange.

Since I just celebrated my work anniversary, I get to carry over unused vacation (110 hours) and 40 hours of sick leave. I work out of my house so I never take sick leave. So I have almost 6 full weeks of vacation starting now and my sick leave time will continue to accumulate to 120 hours over the next 3 years (maxes at 120). There is no way I can use that much vacation. I travel all over and have taken my wife on some trips with me, so going on a vacation is really not my thing. We are not empty-nesters yet either. I asked about cashing some in but the owner told me to roll it over. I don't fell right about having all that time as I can never use it all.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
So I was told today that my vacation time and sick time will no longer be tracked by the company I work for since I was told I am upper management (of which is news to me as I'm in sales). Any one else have anything like this? I just thought it was strange.

Since I just celebrated my work anniversary, I get to carry over unused vacation (110 hours) and 40 hours of sick leave. I work out of my house so I never take sick leave. So I have almost 6 full weeks of vacation starting now and my sick leave time will continue to accumulate to 120 hours over the next 3 years (maxes at 120). There is no way I can use that much vacation. I travel all over and have taken my wife on some trips with me, so going on a vacation is really not my thing. We are not empty-nesters yet either. I asked about cashing some in but the owner told me to roll it over. I don't fell right about having all that time as I can never use it all.

So what's the question?

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
SWe are not empty-nesters yet either. I asked about cashing some in but the owner told me to roll it over. I don't fell right about having all that time as I can never use it all.

That is the idea. What are the company's policy on payout when you leave?

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
I think more places are going the "lump PTO" route instead of the "x-number sick days, x-number vacation, x-number personal" route. Easier for the company to not have to track different things and gives the employee more freedom and responsibility as they don't have to justify a day away (as much, anyway).

Does your company have a PTO-exchange policy? Can you "give" some days to co-workers looking to take a trip or who may need it for sick kids, postpartum, etc.?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Any one else have anything like this?

Yes. I technically get a certain amount of days (4 or 5 weeks vacation and up to 2 weeks sick time plus FMLA) but they’re not tracked. I work a ton certain parts of the year and take partial days/full days/weeks off other parts of the year. It balances out and I get done what needs to be done. Schedule them around when it’s necessary that you be there. I haven’t had any issue with it. Just don’t abuse it.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: LowOverhead

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Most people would love to have your problem. I know of people who get one week of vacation after their 90 days of probation period to be used over the next 12 months. And they may get 3 days of sick leave. My wife once worked at a job.....briefly.....that gave .4 days per month after 90 days probation that included Both vacation and sick time. So after 15 months of employment without missing a single day of work you would have 4.8 days to be used for either sickness or vacation. Told my wife to just quit.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Most people would love to have your problem. I know of people who get one week of vacation after their 90 days of probation period to be used over the next 12 months. And they may get 3 days of sick leave. My wife once worked at a job.....briefly.....that gave .4 days per month after 90 days probation that included Both vacation and sick time. So after 15 months of employment without missing a single day of work you would have 4.8 days to be used for either sickness or vacation. Told my wife to just quit.

That was pretty much my old job. People would never stay home if they were sick as we never had sick days and co-workers would get mad because you were at work sick. I never wanted to have to take a day of vacation because I was sick. Pretty nice job upgrade for adding sick time.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Sounds to me like you need to find some hobbies/reasons to take time off. Not to use all of it but definitely enough so you at least get down to your max carryover.

I find it kind of funny how my parents and what not were shocked when they found out that I started getting vacation time from day one at both places I have worked professionally.

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
When you say they won't be tracked, are you just saying they won't be tracked separately? They're still going to track your PTO overall, right? Because not tracking time off at all would definitely seem strange to me. lol.

55dB

Dec 21, 2014
Omaha
My last employer switched from having a set amount of PTO, to unlimited with approval from your manager if you were a salaried employee. The downside to that was, no more payout when you leave. Certain states do require a payout if you have a PTO balance, and because I was an hourly employee and lived in a state requiring a payout, I got mine. If I had still been living in Iowa, that wouldn't have been the case.

Current job hasn't switched to that system yet, but I have the flexibility to work from home as needed, or to run out to an appointment during the day, as long as my work is done. Unless I am seriously ill, my PTO bucket can go towards just vacation time.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

If you don't accrue time off then you just took a pay cut vs accruing PTO.

This is a trend that sucks as people who don't accrue PTO typically don't take as much time off and can't cash in unpaid PTO when they leave.

It's garbage

• Agree
Reactions: michaelrr1

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
Maybe take every Friday off or like someone else mentioned see if your company has compassionate PTO.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

That's a lot of words for a humble brag IMO;). Just keep carrying over what you can then when you retire they'll cut you a check for the balance at least that's what some companies do.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I get 3 weeks vacation, 1 week sick, and two personal days. I get to carry over 240 hrs, 120 hrs, and 0 hrs respectively. Started looking at what I have saved up, and I'll need to start actually using some of my time soon. Like others have said, find something to do/somewhere to go or just figure out a project for the house.