Can ISU's coaches please not mix politics and football???

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
The coach should be alert for negative factors that can lower the team's performance, occurring in the week or day before a big game. Anything could be an influence.

Like eating a cheese sandwich or something or are you tip toeing around something else?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Wow blaming BLM for the demise of Missouri football? I'm sorry but how stupid can you be? I'm sure it has nothing to do with them switching conferences, losing their recruiting base, and hiring a horrible coach.
Yeah, I was gonna say... Pretty sure Mizzou started falling apart long before kneeling was a problem.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Lazard . . . wish he had not tweeted the comments as it put Cambell in a tough spot at media day and that's selfish and an unforced error and distraction in my opinion.

When he signed a NLI with Iowa State, Lazard did not relinquish his political free speech right guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. Driver, clerk, lawyer, doctor . . . or student athlete, First Amendment protection applies. Period.

Aug 26, 2014
When he signed a NLI with Iowa State, Lazard did not relinquish his political free speech right guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. Driver, clerk, lawyer, doctor . . . or student athlete, First Amendment protection applies. Period.
in other words, he didn't sign with Iowa

• Funny
Reactions: Angie and Cycsk

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
The coach should be alert for negative factors that can lower the team's performance, occurring in the week or day before a big game. Anything could be an influence.
Now try to explain what happened to Missouri after the tail started wagging the dog.
did you red the entire post?

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Again, I'm not playing the blame game. To quote from an article, " Missouri coach Gary Pinkel released a statement supporting the players who spoke out and confirming the team would not practice until Butler ate. With Pinkel's support, the players' actions gained clout, and within 72 hours, Wolfe had resigned and the team had returned to football." https://www.si.com/college-football...uri-football-has-changed-1-year-after-boycott

P.S. So how is Missouri doing now in football?

How specifically did a player protest spark the demise of Missouri football? Did it give Pinkel cancer and make him retire? Did it cause the administration to hire a god-awful football coach? Did it erode their recruiting base?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The reporters brought it up by asking the questions. He didn't really even say much about it.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
We all saw what happened at Missouri when the tail started wagging the dog.

Now try to explain what happened to Missouri after the tail started wagging the dog.

Bot?

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Again, I'm not playing the blame game. To quote from an article, " Missouri coach Gary Pinkel released a statement supporting the players who spoke out and confirming the team would not practice until Butler ate. With Pinkel's support, the players' actions gained clout, and within 72 hours, Wolfe had resigned and the team had returned to football." https://www.si.com/college-football...uri-football-has-changed-1-year-after-boycott

At what point do you accept that Mizzou went to s*** before the boycott? All the evidence you need is widely available.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
ZmL17.gif

• Winner
Reactions: Goclones1727

John Smith

Sep 25, 2017
At what point do you accept that Mizzou went to s*** before the boycott? All the evidence you need is widely available.

Please post the data. My information is that Mizzou had recently won back to back divisional titles in the Southeastern Conference and were going to bowl games up until the skipping practice debacle.

P.S. Do you think players skipping practice was a factor that might have led to the decline of the program? The answer is obvious.

• Funny
Reactions: ComCY

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

Well as long as everyone's priorities are in order, JFC.

The bottom line for me with Lazard is this: the idea that Campbell could have or should have had any bearing on what he felt free to say (especially, but not just, in a non-football setting) is asinine. And really, if people believe that, it should be the final nail in the coffin of the student-athlete myth. Forming and expressing your own opinions like an adult is a key part of the college experience and all should be able to do so whether or not they are an athlete on scholarship, whether or not some jackass on a message board agrees with it.

How is Missouri football doing? For ****'s sake. If Missouri can't field a winning football team without killing their player's ability to have a backbone and take a stand if they feel called, they don't deserve a winning football team. And if we can't do it here, maybe we don't either. Campbell is in the right, shouldn't have even been a question.

Tri

Sep 10, 2009
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...CgBMAA&usg=AFQjCNF6B1IdDj9nc_v3VL6P2WSEBj7SPg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ygBMAE&usg=AFQjCNFd4W0_R6mhwwGr01LS8esgIIN_GA

Just saying don't just look at the missouri football team's downturn look at the whole university, however this one tweet and response is apples to oranges different than what happened at Mizzou
How about prefacing that with a IMO?

FACTS? OWE NO! Prepare for irrelevant dribble and from the usual posters.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Please post the data. My information is that Mizzou had recently won back to back divisional titles in the Southeastern Conference and were going to bowl games up until the skipping practice debacle.

P.S. Do you think players skipping practice was a factor that might have led to the decline of the program? The answer is obvious.
He had 2 good years (down years for the rest of the East) followed and proceeded both by a not-good year, and then Odom happened. We aren't talking Natty's here, were talking the SEC East. Odom further tanked a program that didn't have a very positive outlook to start with.

And yes, skipping practice doesn't really help a team, but sharing political views off the field doesn't hurt anybody but those who are thin-skinned about their own beliefs.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Play

practice-we-talkin-bout-practice.jpg

You really think a program just folded because some players skipped practice?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron