Can ISU's coaches please not mix politics and football???

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
I'm upset that the ISU coaches are making a clear political statement and not focusing on football.

Clearly, we all saw what happened with ISU's star black player. Not good.

There's a time and a place for everything and I think we can all agree that football is not a time for politics. When I go to a game, I want to be entertained and not be confronted with social issues of the day.

Can we just play ball? Stop shoving it down my throat.

D$#% politics ruining my favorite sport.

___

I am, of course, talking about Jack Trice in 1923.

Bloviating politicians of the day often discussed the big, scary NEGRO QUESTION and strongly advocated that the black community needed to be completely separate from the pure, untarnished white citizens of this good country, lest their wily clutches besmirch. (The negro league sprouted up, separate from MLB, etc.)

Football fans sitting in the stands, some of who may have been members of the newly reformed Ku Klux Klan, would have clearly resented Iowa State University (and East Tech) for inserting themselves into a political hot topic by putting a black player on the field, in violation of the "Separate But Equal" norms gathering steam.

Seeing that uppity young black man running around as an equal to white players must've really galled some people.

___

Just musing about historical inequality in sport and the forms that protest took.

Tri

Sep 10, 2009
Agree we can't agree. Big Lazard fan here as his loyalty to ISU has been second to none. However I do wish he had not tweeted the comments as it put Cambell in a tough spot at media day and that's selfish and an unforced error and distraction in my opinion. Same thing Trump does to often. Cambell did an excellent job of handling thank goodness.
With that said...Go Cyclones!

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I'm upset that the ISU coaches are making a clear political statement and not focusing on football.

Clearly, we all saw what happened with ISU's star black player. Not good.

There's a time and a place for everything and I think we can all agree that football is not a time for politics. When I go to a game, I want to be entertained and not be confronted with social issues of the day.

Can we just play ball? Stop shoving it down my throat.

D$#% politics ruining my favorite sport.

___

I am, of course, talking about Jack Trice in 1923.

Bloviating politicians of the day often discussed the big, scary NEGRO QUESTION and strongly advocated that the black community needed to be completely separate from the pure, untarnished white citizens of this good country, lest their wily clutches besmirch. (The negro league sprouted up, separate from MLB, etc.)

Football fans sitting in the stands, some of who may have been members of the newly reformed Ku Klux Klan, would have clearly resented Iowa State University (and East Tech) for inserting themselves into a political hot topic by putting a black player on the field, in violation of the "Separate But Equal" norms gathering steam.

Seeing that uppity young black man running around as an equal to white players must've really galled some people.

___

Just musing about historical inequality in sport and the forms that protest took.
Almost had me AGAIN! You're good. Reeeeeal good.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
The coach should be alert for negative factors that can lower the team's performance, occurring in the week or day before a big game. Anything could be an influence.
Well you should get ahold of Campbell asap and let him know how he should be running his team. Obviously he isn't aware that there's a time and place for everything and there are a lot of sensitive snowflakes who just want to escape from life for a few hours and watch a game. Tell Lazard to stop tweeting his personal opinion on his own time as well. He represents ISU so he's not allowed to be an individual. We have to put a stop to this!

• Agree
Reactions: kcclone33 and Peter

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
The coach should be alert for negative factors that can lower the team's performance, occurring in the week or day before a big game. Anything could be an influence.
Now try to explain what happened to Missouri after the tail started wagging the dog.

Wow blaming BLM for the demise of Missouri football? I'm sorry but how stupid can you be? I'm sure it has nothing to do with them switching conferences, losing their recruiting base, and hiring a horrible coach.