Random Friday Topic - Co-Workers Outside of Work

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
First job out of college (many moons ago) - Midwestern engineering firm, very professional, very conservative. One of the middle-aged mid-level manager types in the office had his private life become very public after making an appearance along with his wife on an episode of HBO's Real Sex. He just happened to also be the company rep for their Big Brothers / Big Sisters philanthropy - a known figure in the community. Needless to say he didn't work there much longer after his "national exposure," but I believe he made out alright as there were rumors of a big payout to just quietly go away...

:cool:

• Funny
Reactions: Angie

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
i use to work with a pretty well known cyclone player. I started there and I had to call him for something and Im like thats weird his name is the same as said cyclone star. So i look him up in the directory and realize its the same guy. Nobody in my office had any idea who he was. I was like ya hes the guy that did (this and that) and everyones like he doesnt really seem like an athlete. We once had a meeting in MN and everyones there and we had to go around the room and say something no one would know about us. And I said, umm I had a poster of (guy) on my wall when i was younger. People were confused.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I worked in R&D and became friends with a technician in the microbiology lab. He was cool laid back guy who didn't spend much
money on haircuts. Drove an old beat up four door Ford and didn't have a care in the world.
After a couple of months of shooting the
breeze a work, one Friday afternoon we were going to go in his car to party. I get in and see that there are about ten uncashed work checks just sitting on the dash. We get to his house and it is a mansion.
I finally ask what the hell is going on and he nonchalantly said he was worth 'a few million', heir to one of the country's largest breweries.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
One of our ISU history profs appeared on an episode of Ancient Aliens. He wasn't really down with the aliens thing as far as I can tell, and just appears really as a short encyclopedia entry just telling who this one guy is.

He doesn't like people to know. Some undergrads made sure that I know, and I do what I can.

• Funny
Reactions: srjclone and NWICY

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
i use to work with a pretty well known cyclone player. I started there and I had to call him for something and Im like thats weird his name is the same as said cyclone star. So i look him up in the directory and realize its the same guy. Nobody in my office had any idea who he was. I was like ya hes the guy that did (this and that) and everyones like he doesnt really seem like an athlete. We once had a meeting in MN and everyones there and we had to go around the room and say something no one would know about us. And I said, umm I had a poster of (guy) on my wall when i was younger. People were confused.

Brent Curvey and I used to work in the same office building, but in different departments. I would sometimes end up standing in line next to him in the cafeteria and would always have fond flashbacks of Colorado 2005. Never talked to him, though....too chicken and didn't want to sound like a fan boy. Wonder how many people he worked with had no idea who he was.

Reactions: Mr Janny

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Brent Curvey and I used to work in the same office building, but in different departments. I would sometimes end up standing in line next to him in the cafeteria and would always have fond flashbacks of Colorado 2005. Never talked to him, though....too chicken and didn't want to sound like a fan boy. Wonder how many people he worked with had no idea who he was.

I sat next to him and his young son on a flight one time. I started out with the fanboy shyness, but we ended up talking ISU football for like 2 hours. He's a really nice guy, and loves to talk about ISU football. He also has some of the widest shoulders I've ever seen.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City

Not quite the same thing but someone I know went on a tour of Katecho and Bret Myer was his tour leader and he didn't even know who he was until I told him

• Funny
Reactions: srjclone

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
.... I started out with the fanboy shyness, but we ended up talking ISU football for like 2 hours. He's a really nice guy, and loves to talk about ISU football....

Did he share anything about his time in Ames that really surprised you?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron